• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

W203 - Alloy Wheel Opinion

Wully

Car
2002 W203 C220 CDI Avantgarde SE Auto
I have a set of Style 2 AMG's that i had on my W202 which set me back sh1tloads when i first purchased the car 6 years ago. Around 2 years ago for different reasons i took them off and stuck them in the shed.

Tonight I pulled them out and gave them a right good old clean and believe it or not apart from one tiny mark on the polished rims they look brand new (never once kerbed them). I was expecting the lacquer to be peeling big time!

Thing is now that i have sold the W202 and now have a W203 what are your thoughts on a W203 with Style 2's? I tried two of them before cleaning and they look not that bad, they just are a bit dated.

The 16" Avantgarde wheels that are on it just now are a joke the lacquer is peeling real bad and the cars only 4 years old. I thought about taking it in to a dealers for a warranty claim but the car doesn't have full MB service history.

So the options are:-
1) Sell the AMG's on ebay and lose big time on them, add to the value and buy either AMG's for the W203 or Adharaz's that are on the newest Avantgarde's
2) Go for it with the Style 2's, will they fit? I think they are 7.5x17, can't remember now! All 4 are the same size.
3) Kick up a stink with MB re the condition of the existing wheels.

Attachments

• 28.2.big.jpg
    28.2.big.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 224
I would go for option 2 & 3.

Check they are safe to run with then try them for a few weeks, give yourself time to consider the look & feel of the car.

At the same time kick up a stink with MB about the quality of the original wheels, the more people that complain the more likely the quality will be improved in future.

I think that because you've left it this late to go back, they will have been bubbling and peeling for a while if they are as bad as you suggest, and you don't have FMBSH then you might not get very far with MB. But got to be worth a try.

I wouldn't "kick up a stink" though. I'd be very "Is there something wrong with these wheels? Surely they shouldn't be like this already." and take it from there. You've nowt to lose.

Last edited:
Agreed. Plus the phsychological questions "how would you feel if these were your wheels?" and "what would you expect to be done?" - both to the service manager or the dealer principal.

The AMG IIs on the W203 in my opinion will look odd. Go for Electra or Adharaz. Electras with 8Js on the back really set the W203 off...;) :)

Last edited:
The styling IIs are classic and suit practically any car, non-MBs included. I think a 203 would look great with them, expect to see an "artist's impression" soon ;)

Below is a pic of some Electra alloys.

However, the ones in the pick below could probably do with a refurb as they are normally finished in a bright Sterling Silver paint finish.

cd_1.JPG

47_1.JPG

17" staggered styling IIs, imagine the rear won't look quite as deep but otherwise pretty authentic.

Attachments

• W203stylingII.jpg
    W203stylingII.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 210
That’s the pic that I remember seeing a while back and got be thinking.

The car is Obsidian Black Metallic and I’ve just ordered the CL grill and flat bonnet badge as between this car and the other I’m on my fifth star!

Regarding leaving it too long before doing anything with the wheels, I’ve only had this car 2 months and I bought it with the wheels in this condition (not from MB)

Do cars fitted with Adharaz wheels have them staggered?

Last edited:
Wully said:
Thats the pic that i remember seeing a while back and got be thinking.
I just made that, when did you see it before? :)

I'm sure it was MBworld, i'll have a look.

UPDATE:- Work firewall preventing photo hosting websites to be shown. Will look at home, have deff seen that picture with those wheels (I think)

Last edited:
not what you aksed but...if you want to sell you style II let me know ;)

Wully,
If you're getting your Star nicked try getting a removable one. I got one and its really good but cost £70.00, just remember to take it off when you park or it ends up really expensive.

nigel cross said:
Wully,
If you're getting your Star nicked try getting a removable one. I got one and its really good but cost £70.00, just remember to take it off when you park or it ends up really expensive.

I saw these on eBay from a German seller, looked really good.

Decided to go for the big star as i haven't seen one single W203 with that grill up here in Glasgow (no doubt once I've got it I'll end up seeing loads, that's what happens the colour of your new car, never saw any then loads all at the same time!)

Wully, I'd go for Option 1 and also try Option 3 at the same time!.

Sell the AMG II's on ebay or even better (as they're in fantastic condition) to someone on the forum. Then if the dealer does anything about your existing wheels possibly sell them on ebay too :bannana:

I'd go for the Adharaz or a perhaps a nice set of AMG Styling III or IV's

Hi have had my car 6 months (Private sale), its a 2002, and wheels are quite bad. Enquired with service mgr at local dealers and was told they are not covered under the 30 year warranty and nothing could be doen. Any one got different response?

Rgds

Keith

tikw2124 said:
Hi have had my car 6 months (Private sale), its a 2002, and wheels are quite bad. Enquired with service mgr at local dealers and was told they are not covered under the 30 year warranty and nothing could be doen. Any one got different response?

Wheels are only covered under the 3 year manufacture warranty as long as it was genuine corrosion with "NO" kerbing what so ever.

MB Adharaz and Electra alloy weels would look stunning if you were to treat yourself...;)

Your current alloys are probably the standrad 16" 5 spoke (star shaped) with dimond polishsed lip that come with this Avantgarde trim.

Electras are rare and unique as they were an "extra" on W203 "saloon" and not cheap either where Sports Pack W203s came with the Adharaz and were more common.

Below is a pic of Electra alloy wheels on my W203.

DSC01132.jpg

DSC01140.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom