W203 C200 year 2001 loosing power

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JaniK

Car
MB W203 C200 -2001
Hello to all!

I'm getting desperate.
Over two years ago I bought MB W203 C200 year 2001 vehicle.
Sense then i have had nothing but troubles.

Engine light is on. Most of the time car is loosing power when hitting gas pedal to bottom. Then there are times when acceleration is as it should be.

What i have done is:

- changed MAF twice
- changed the camshaft position sensor + plug for the wire on the sensors end
- changed front lambda
- checked ECU for oil and there was none
- camshaft position controller (magnet)
- check valve (A 002 140 68 60)
- changed air filter
- changed oil filter and oil
- changed fuel filter

Official Star says that it is MAF that should be changed...again.
Another workshop says it is cam shaft position sensor...again.
First place at the beginning of this story checked all air pipes...i think.

I tought that i should clear MAF and throttle body and see what that does. There was just a little bit of oil in MAF. Throttle body might need that clearing.

It seems to me that no one else in the world have not had this problem :). I have searched so many forums through but no obvious answer to this seems to be.

So any help at all is appreciated that would end this over 2 years of pain :)

Have you checked the air hose under the airbox and the part load crankcase ventilation hoses/check valve under the inlet manifold?

Lyserman said:
Have you checked the air hose under the airbox and the part load crankcase ventilation hoses/check valve under the inlet manifold?

It's not the 271 engine so will not suffer with that issue.

Stop throwing parts at it for starters. I suspect you have some kind of air leak or unmetered air entering the intake. Hence the maf codes.

Ok. So i'll take alook for possible leaks.
Is there any blueprints about air pipes?

If the purge valve is not working you will get maf codes. It's bolted to the n/s inner wing. Check its working
Mot stamped on the top of it

Only thing i'm wondering is that car works fine time to time. Acceleration is fine. But most of the time car does not accelerate.
IF problem is with whis valve how come above is possible?

I cleaned the purge valve and it did not start to make any ticking noise. Should i replace that?

I have followed this document to check engine for possible air problems http://sdrv.ms/1dduzbP and i got stuck to picture 3.

If i understand right there should be vacuum with that black pipe but there is none. The other pipe, clear one, has air flow coming out of the pipe.

Should i consider changing vacuum valve?

Any ideas?

:dk:

I continued with this same document to phase (photo 4) an tested this air shut off valve and it was blocked. I did some cleaning and it started to work. Still i dont feel vacuum from that black hose (photo 3). Well might be little...i don't know.

Well at the moment engine light is still on but if i can i will reset it tomorrow and for a test drive.

At the moment with engine light on if i repaired this problem should cars idle be ok now or just after resetting engine light? I don't think that problem is solved yet :(

I have had two test drives one yesterday and one this morning. We have about -15 degrees celcius at the moment.

What i noticed was that starting car and driving about 9km and then stopping car, shut off engine and everything worked fine to this point.
Waiting couple of minutes and started car, started driving and power was lost again. Even when i hit the pedal down it just slowly moves on. Engine temp was about 80 degrees celcius at this point.

I think that if i don't shut off engine it works fine but as soon as i shut off and start again problems arise again.

Any ideas?

I bought this ELM327 BT diagnostics device and cleared all codes. Then had a test drive not more than 1km and checked codes again and there was two:

P0340
P0341

Someone told me that because of this engine heating and then loosing power the problem could be engine temperature sensor? What do you all think?

I changed that temp sensor and it did nothing.
I changed spurkplugs too but nothing changed.

Loosing power starts when engine heats up to about 80 degrees. When stoping engine and starting again acceleration is poor. RPM go up but speed is not following that.

Any ideas fellow mercedes owners?

Theory 1 - Sounds like the engine harness is faulty .... what happens sometimes is that the harness is rubbing on the engine block and the plastic becomes brittle and breaks off. The wires are touching the metal and it short circuits the engine controller on this specific circuit.

Theory 2 - poor quality fuel

Theory 3 - Reset engine controller to baseline and wipe all adaptations - try with diagnostic system.

Theory 4 - exhaust is cracked ?? happens when hot ?? Catalytic converter blocked ??

Hi

Have you had your car battery tested?, and have you had your alternator checked?

Theory 1 - Sounds like the engine harness is faulty .... what happens sometimes is that the harness is rubbing on the engine block and the plastic becomes brittle and breaks off. The wires are touching the metal and it short circuits the engine controller on this specific circuit.
Theory 2 - poor quality fuel
Theory 3 - Reset engine controller to baseline and wipe all adaptations - try with diagnostic system.
Theory 4 - exhaust is cracked ?? happens when hot ?? Catalytic converter blocked ??

1. Have to check that.
2. Fuel is good.
3. This has to be done in workshop?
4. Have not check neither.

Have you had your car battery tested?, and have you had your alternator checked?

No and no. Battery has been working well.

Did you fit a genuine MB Camshaft sensor ?

I think so. I had it from local workshop that works with MB's .
Only thing is that i think that it was not new. Used one that they thought to be working. I went to a local mb dealer and that part was 250€ and i did not buy that.
If this part is for another mb could that be a problem?

Situation at the moment:
Vehicle is not rough idling. Actually it's quite nice going.
I checked airfilter box and hoses for that. There was no cracks or nothing. Check connections for box.

I resetted current codes and went for a test drive. Engine heated up to 80+ celcius. I stopped and readed codes again. I got:

P0341: Camshaft Position Sensor "A" Circuit Range/Performance (Bank 1 or Single Sensor)
P0700: Transmission Control System (MIL Request) (THIS IS ANOTHER STORY, HAVE HAD THIS COUPLE OF TIMES NOW)

P200C
P200F

Now car was working quite good and even after starting motor again i had good acceleration.

This beats me. I go for another test drive now and see what happens. the car is not inspected so I have to watch out for the police :) :)

Test drive completed. Before starting i reseted all codes once again. Started driving as everything was smooth and nice for quite long time. I readed codes and there was none. Until....when coming back home i got following codes:

P0340 Camshaft Position Sensor "A" Circuit Range/Performance (Bank 1 or Single Sensor)

P200C

This time P0341 was gone. Well hell who knows. Only good thing was that there was no police :)

Check the mechanical timing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom