W203 Gear Selector Problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

aspguitars

Car
C220 Diesel Estate
Hi! all, I have an intermittent gear selector problem which I have been told is probably due to dirt ingress or maybe even spilled drinks. Apparently this is a common problem where people spill liquids all over the gear change.
I was wondering if anyone had had a similar problem, and more to the point, how easy is it to take out and clean. I've had the central console out already, so that's not a problem. Hope someone can help.
Ade

You may do better if you describe the symptoms in more detail.
Is the selector tight or loose and is the problem evident through all the range?
I assume it's an auto box, so is there a problem when using it in manual?

Did you lubricate any moving parts you had access to while you had the centre consol out?

Must say though, in all my years of driving, I've never spilled anything on any gear selector.

Gear Selector 2001 W203

Hi!,
Yes it's a 5 speed tiptronic automatic. When I turn the ignition on I get a visual display of the gear selected, i.e. S for Summer or W for Winter and underneath what gear I'm in, P,R.D . Sometimes the two rectangles that normally show the gear are just blank. If this happens, I can put it into drive and pull away, but it just stays in one gear. If I stop and turn the engine off and on again, it sometimes goes back to normal. Initially it only did it once or twice a week. But recently it's been doing it two or three times a day. I've been told that it could be the gear selector, but I'm not sure. My son had a similar problem with his W202. He just replaced the gear selector with a second hand one and it's been fine ever since. I've been told by an Indy that mine is totally different and that I would have to buy a new one from Mercedes at £400 excl. VAT. Dronsfield have them and can't see any reason why a used one won't work. When I removed the central console,there was a large brown stain underneath that looked like coke or maybe coffee. I couldn't tell if it had gone inside the selector though. I was hoping that someone that had had a similar problem could help.
Ade

Well thanks for everyone's help! I took out the gear selector today. I put it on my workbench and dismantled it. I then cleaned it out with some PCB spray and blew it out with some compressed air. When I reassembled it, all seems fine. Just hope that's all it was.

Hi
Having same problem and wondering if there is a diy on how to remove and clean the gear selector thanks

I think something like this is happening to my 7 speed tiptonic. C 320 diesel 2006. symptoms include; reverse sensors dont turn on, tiptronic selection isnt working, sometimes will not go into reverse with foot on brake. slips in easy if you realease brake.
does anyone know the facts behind the factory need to recose the unit?
Does anyone know what the selectors units part is in the driving process?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom