• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

W203 stepper motor - can I disconnect?

punkieys17

I'm half way into taking the dashboard out of a 2003 w203 to get at a clicking stepper motor.
Typically its not the easy one (that can be got with just the bottom half of the dashboard out) - its one in the top of the heater box.
I've been working with the battery connected but the next stage is to remove the steering wheel, instrument binacle and then the top half of the dashboard.
The Mercedes Workshop Information System (WIS) states I need to attach a quiescent current device (????!!!) - why?
If I just disconnect the battery what will happen ?
Secondly does one really have to remove the steering wheel - it seems to be one hell of a job in itself.
If its too big a job can anyone suggest an independent that might take on the job at the half dismantled stage in the south east of england -I'm near Guildford in Surrey,
Julian
Any advice appreciated.

Just pull the battery nothing will happen.

You do need to disconnect it when your working with the wheel and combi to be honest.

If you are going to remove the steering wheel I would advise first disconnecting the battery, followed by removing the front foot tray in the passengers side and then disconnecting the red plug under there. Only then should you start to remove the air bag from the steering wheel.

203 can be difficult to reconnect the battery and many are nervous on this issue. though WIS says disconnect, it has to on safety grounds and many take the wheel off without disconnecting, just make sure that the key is not in the car.

You do have Black in Portsmouth

Also you can pull the fuse for the control module.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom