W205 C63 AMG 7 Speed v C63 9 Speed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

f17ant

Car
W205 C63 Saloon
Hey everyone.

Just doing a bit of research before committing myself to my next toy!

Has anyone gone from a W205 C63 7 Speed to 9 Speed ?? or ever driven both (I never driven the 9 speed only 7 speed C63 my GLC had the 9 speed but that was a dirty diesel)

I would imagine with the lower gear ratios of the 9 speed would mean that it has slightly better acceleration? Or better fuel economy (not that I really care about this 😂) just a comparison

Again any information would be much appreciated.. (or might bin all this idea and run for a W212 E63 5.5 BiTurbo 😩)

Antony

Although the calibration will be slightly different in a C63 you've already got the experience of both to make a pretty well informed decision.

I've got the original C63 which is fundamentally the same gearbox as in the pre-facelift 205 C63 and I've driven 205 C Class cars with the 9spd. The main reasons to choose the 9spd are much better response to paddle inputs and smoother shifts. There's marginal gains in acceleration and economy but it's the interaction with the 9spd that's so much improved. It does shift a lot though!

Like Steve, I have experience of the 9G in other models, but own a 7G w205 c63 myself. The 9G is still a young unit, and has not yet shown its faults. The 7G is a well established box, with most of the quirks ironed out in these late cars. Add to that the added complications of GPF, and I’d be seeking out the last of the pre facelift cars personally.

Although the calibration will be slightly different in a C63 you've already got the experience of both to make a pretty well informed decision.

I've got the original C63 which is fundamentally the same gearbox as in the pre-facelift 205 C63 and I've driven 205 C Class cars with the 9spd. The main reasons to choose the 9spd are much better response to paddle inputs and smoother shifts. There's marginal gains in acceleration and economy but it's the interaction with the 9spd that's so much improved. It does shift a lot though!

Thanks buddy I thought the 9 speed was slightly slower so this is interesting

I have moved from a 2017 C205 C63S to a 2019 C205 C63S, agree that the gear changes are smoother and it seems to work well either in auto or manual mode; for the latter having 9 to play with might be a bit too much for a human to use effectively - for my skill level anyway. Economy is slightly better but that depends on many other factors.

The 9spd is much quicker to react, the actual shift times aren't that much quicker but the whole process of requesting a gear and it being delivered is quicker.

This is a good review, skip to 8:55 and watch the rest. He keeps mentioning how much better the gearbox is...
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Are we really going to debate whether Mercedes would develop a 9 speed that was not as good as as the 7 speed? Do they know nothing?

The 9spd is much quicker to react, the actual shift times aren't that much quicker but the whole process of requesting a gear and it being delivered is quicker.

This is a good review, skip to 8:55 and watch the rest. He keeps mentioning how much better the gearbox is...
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

nice video. the face lift c63 looks a lot easier to slide around too 😁

Last edited:
Are we really going to debate whether Mercedes would develop a 9 speed that was not as good as as the 7 speed? Do they know nothing?
not debating buddy just simply asking the question and gathering as much info as I can.

not debating buddy just simply asking the question and gathering as much info as I can.
In that case, I've two cars, both with 9G boxes and I've no complaints.

I'm going to go against the grain here and say that I think the 9 speed is unnecessary. These engines put out such a spread of torque that you're never going to drop out of the power band when you're pushing on. I suspect that part of the reason MB went 9 speed was because their rivals were starting to use 8+ speeds. Manual shifting the 9 speed could soon become a bit tiresome, it's just a bit too busy all of the time. I chose the 7 speed and have no regrets :thumb:

It's not necessary for the number of gears and it does shift a lot but it is much nicer to use with the way it responds to inputs, either in auto or manual. When you're pushing on you don't touch the top gears so you aren't changing more than 3-4 gears during most of a spirited drive. The rest of the time you can let auto deal with the number of gears.

I think a 9-speed box is a subjective thing. I personally prefer fewer cogs, as I notice the more frequent shifts and it reminds me of an electric train pulling away from the station. All down to personal taste. The 9G is probably a better gearbox in many respects though.

In reality, 8th & 9th are more like overdrives, you really need to be on a dual c/way or m/way at speed before they are used, keeps the revs down and mpg figures up, that's what they're for.

I love driving my late 2018 W205 C63 in manual mode, and I find the 7 speed is just right, I feel if you enjoy the same (manual mode) then a 9 speed might become a bit tiring.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom