W209 CLK 320 Convertible - Remap - yes or no?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

iandj

Car
W209 Mercedes CLK320 cabriolet
Hi everyone,
I would like some experience veiws on whether to re-map the ECU of my car.

I'm sure my 2004 has lost some of the horses over the years and was thinking the best way to retrieve them?

Your information will give me an easier decision.

Regards

Ian

A remap isn't likely to make much difference on a naturally aspirated engine, and will potentially put your insurance up (assuming you declare it). What mileage has the car done?

You could put a couple of tanks of 'premium' fuel (V Power or whatever) through it, which would give the system a bit of a clean.

Just over 90k.
I didn't know that a re-map wouldn't make that much difference. I'm led to beleive that it would improve 20-30 BHP?

It's unlikely to give much be benefit at all on your engine, certainly not that much. Modern diesels and other forced induction engines offer quite noticable power gains, but not on a NA petrol.

I'd spend the cash on something with tangible benefit - buy the best quality tyres you can afford, or maybe a thorough service/check stuff like MAS for correct operating values etc. When was your ATF last replaced? :)

I'd be surprised if bhp was significantly down after 90k miles.

I'd also be surprised if you saw 20-30 bhp from a remap alone. But if someone is offering that (with before/after dyno to prove ...) then go for it, provided insurance isn't going to be a problem afterwards.

A 320 CDI remap would get you 20-30+ bhp, did you read that by mistake?

No point on this NA engine remap may yield an optimistic 8 bhp and may gain a little extra torque, but personally I'd spend my money on something else :thumb:

May have made a mistake. Thank you for your advise, I will send the money on other improvements.

Regards

Ian

May have made a mistake. Thank you for your advise, I will send the money on other improvements.

Regards

Ian

I think i will give this bad boy a major service.... i'm only getting 27mpg on a good run. thought i may get 33 ish

I had my C320 Saloon superchiped two months ago, there's definitely a difference to how the car performs it's more responsive and feels a fair bit faster on acceleration, I have also fitted K&N filters and run the car on Shell V-Power fuel. In my opinion, the cost (£199) of the remap is worth the money.

Ian 27 to 33mpg doesnt sound that bad for a 320, its what I get (or less if i am feeling playful !)

Chalpkin please dont think I am being negative but your car feels more responsive after a K&N filter change and switching to Vpower ? Isnt that exactly what one would expect otherwise there is no point ?
I have never been persuaded of the point of chipping an NA engine.

Clkrichard,
The car was already superchiped before I bought the K&N filters and I have been using the Shell V-Power fuel since I've had the car, although they each have brought minor improvements the remap by far and away, made the most noticeable difference to the performance, the car feeling MUCH more lively and responsive and while town mpg is around the same as before the remap, on a run the mpg has improved from approx 30 to 33mpg.

Thats interesting. And only £199 ! I think I need to take a look at that - thanks

£160 until Dec 31st for +31 BHP according to their website

Dyslexia is such a cruse !
You are right of course and 13 bhp doesnt really seem bothering with especially as its probably only half that in reality.
Thanks for the good spot

I know 13bhp doesn't sound like much, but the difference it makes to the way the car feels I'd say they were being rather conservative with their figures.
They don't quote torque increases, I feel the main improvement may lie here. As I said before there is a marked difference in before and after the remap.
Regards,
Chalpkin

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom