(W209) CLK55 Exhaust on a CLK320

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CLK-Singh

Evening everyone. I just fitted a W209 CLK55 AMG exhaust to my CLK320. As you can see from the picture the exhaust sticks out almost 3 inches and is not flush! I got it installed by Top Gear in St Albans, the guys there reckon this exhaust is bigger then my standard one, there is no way to make it sit further in, does anyone know if there is anyway to make it sit flush?

Also the exhaust makes an intermittent rattling sound when idling and sometimes while driving, and the exhaust is not loose so it cant be that. Any ideas what this could be? :confused:

zorst.jpg

Have you checked all the intermediate hangers and not just the one at the tailpipe end?

The same thing near enough happened to me with my W202, I got the bodyshop to simply cut off about 1 inch from the exhaust (where it joins the pipe on the car).

Any garage should see what is wrong and correct it?

My rattling was caused by the heatsheld touching the rear box.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply guys.
I got the centre muffler removed and a straight pipe put through.
I think the idea of cutting some of the join pipe mite sort the issue. I am just surprised the exhaust place didnt offer me this option, they advised me to buy a new back box and stick the AMG tail pipes on it (supplied by them ofcourse!).

The rattle is worrying if it is the cats, in which case maybe a new back box is what is needed.

That sticks out far to far... I fitted the same on my 500 and its sits at factory spec on the bumper.. I also deleted the centre box... the rattle is probably from one of the two hangers on the rear box.... they will be sitting very close to the bodywork fitted as it is... get it taken off again and fitted atleast an inch further in... If I were you I'd go to a proper exhaust fabricator not the "max power" gang at Top Gear.....

Sounds like they are rubbish.

I had an exhaust rattle problem and it turned out to be the exhaust hangers, got it chopped and hey presto, problem solved.

It shouldn't matter if it sits out very far... mine does and to be honest i dont really care but if its bothering you then you can ask them to chop a bit of the pipe off and pull it forward... but i dont know if they'll do that since its more work for them and they've effectively done the job for you anyway.

Evening everyone. I just fitted a W209 CLK55 AMG exhaust to my CLK320. As you can see from the picture the exhaust sticks out almost 3 inches and is not flush! I got it installed by Top Gear in St Albans, the guys there reckon this exhaust is bigger then my standard one, there is no way to make it sit further in, does anyone know if there is anyway to make it sit flush?

Also the exhaust makes an intermittent rattling sound when idling and sometimes while driving, and the exhaust is not loose so it cant be that. Any ideas what this could be? :confused:

They have a SLK320 AMG exhaust too. Different part number.

Thanks for the replies and advice folks.

Ok got the fitment and intial rattling problem sorted now. (pic below)
I think it sits just about right now.

Now I am getting another blasted rattle. This time it comes after the car has been revved up and is coming back down it rattles like a tin can full of marbles. It only occurs when the car has been driven for about 6-7 minutes and noise appears to come from the middle where the muffler delete had been done. Exhaust place did do a test but obviously didnt have car running too long. Any1 have any ideas on this? :dk::confused:

Image028.jpg

Thanks, much happier with the fitment, just the rattle is annoying me now!

For those of you who were interested, I took the car back to the exhaust place today. The rattling sound is the Cats on their way out! :eek:

I got a Mercedes warranty so I am going to try and claim on that, I wonder if they will notice the muffler missing! :D

For those of you who were interested, I took the car back to the exhaust place today. The rattling sound is the Cats on their way out! :eek:

I got a Mercedes warranty so I am going to try and claim on that, I wonder if they will notice the muffler missing! :D

Hopefully they dont blame your exhaust mod in an attempt to escape the warranty claim.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom