W210 estate suspension pipe repair

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mijfife

Car
E300 Avantgarde TD Auto Estate. 1998
Hi all, I'm looking for a bit of advice with the self levelling suspension on my '98 w210 300TD.
The metal pipe that delivers fluid to the rear suspension has sprung a leak near the back and both pipes are quite rusty but only at the rear, the section from the floor pan forward is perfect. I was wondering if anyone had replaced just the rear half with cunifer type pipe and spliced in a join? I don't fancy trying to change both these pipes full length as it looks like a pig for access at the rear & i'd imagine the pipes aren't exactly cheap!
I'd appreciate any ideas from anyone who has had the same problem.
That aside, my 300TD has been running great and I'm still loving driving this fine motor :)

Regards, Jim

Further to my query above, I spoke with a very helpfull person at the local MB parts dept who said that they usually just replace the pipes with the cunifer on the roll. I managed to strip everthing out tonight, a bit of a sod of a job but I won in the end!
I've read on here that the system self bleeds, providing you put a load of 120kg in tha back of the car. I also noticed a bleed valve on the accumulator valve thingy next to the diff, do I need to open this at any time too?
I have a WIS cd but it won't work on my new PC with Windows 7 so I'd be grateful to anyone who can check the correct process for me.
regards, Jim

i didn't have to bleed mine , i ordered new nuts off ebay and used copper pipe from a motor facter

To bleed undo level valve lever and lift to top, leave till car rises then lower repeat a few times.
The cars take chf synthetic you dont need MB stuff any motor factor should have it.
I have replaced my spheres and have improved the ride keep a check on your reservoir.

Thanks guys, I've been at it all night, got the pipes replaced and tried what I'd read elsewhere of loading up the rear of the car & running the engine to bleed but the suspension still isnt working. (I've just come in and saw your post gold estate.)
I had to take the level valve that the two big pipes go into at the rear axle off the car to remove one of the pipe ends and a lot of fluid drained out of the smaller diameter pipes that go to the suspension units. will i need to bleed these as well now and if so, how?
It's a rear bugger trying to do this without a manual!

regards, jim

Its supposed to be self bleeding but isn't reasemble top up and do as above .

Hi Goldestate, just wanted to say a big thanks, I undid the lever and moved it manually as you said and it bled through. Everything is working as it should and i can spend tonight in the house rather than flat on my back under the Merc :thumb:
Many thanks again,

regards, Jim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom