• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

W211 E320 cdi Sport Estate Opinions

Remenham

Car
S211 E320CDI Sport
I'm looking to change my W210 E320cdi Avantgarde (51 reg with 149k) for a facelift 211 which would I think be 06 to 59 reg. I need the 7 seat option. Looking around on the usual sites (MB, Autotradfer, Ebay and Pistonheads) I am finding there are far more 280s available than 320s and almost all the 320s are the Sport model with lowered suspension and very wide low profile tyres. These seem to cost about £200 each at Kwikfit.

I prefer a comfortable ride and would be interested in views on the Sport model. I find the handling of the Avantgarde fine and see no need for the wide wheels. I am surprised so many went for the Sport model but looking at what's out there they all seem cars with few options on them and perhaps Mercedes shipped these Sport models over in bulk rather than the cars being specc'd to order. Also, any views on the 280 power wise. I would prefer not to step down from the 320 but is there no real difference.

I could afford a 212 but don't like the styling and the extra width would make it awkward to get in the garage.

How much do you want for your old car

Been looking for one

I'm looking to change my W210 E320cdi Avantgarde (51 reg with 149k) for a facelift 211 which would I think be 06 to 59 reg. I need the 7 seat option. Looking around on the usual sites (MB, Autotradfer, Ebay and Pistonheads) I am finding there are far more 280s available than 320s and almost all the 320s are the Sport model with lowered suspension and very wide low profile tyres. These seem to cost about £200 each at Kwikfit.

I prefer a comfortable ride and would be interested in views on the Sport model. I find the handling of the Avantgarde fine and see no need for the wide wheels. I am surprised so many went for the Sport model but looking at what's out there they all seem cars with few options on them and perhaps Mercedes shipped these Sport models over in bulk rather than the cars being specc'd to order. Also, any views on the 280 power wise. I would prefer not to step down from the 320 but is there no real difference.

I could afford a 212 but don't like the styling and the extra width would make it awkward to get in the garage.

I don't pay anyting like £200 for mine (Conti 3's).

If you find one with Airmatic then the comfort setting overcomes the ride issue on 18's

I'd go for a 320 or you'll always wonder what your missing.

Memory seats are a blessing on an Estate and if you can find one, Distronic is ace and nothing like cruise.

Shop around - the well specced ones are around - you jiust need to hunt them down (as I did).

IMO Elegance are the most comfortable. AG is a good compromise but Sport sits and looks the best.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Last edited:
Since the w211 and the w212 are the same width, you should probably stick with your w210.

Hello

Firstly I think tyres can be found more cheaply quite easily. Also if a 212 is tight a 211 must be also? both have folding mirrors?

I would go for the 320 over the 280 as when you have it you will have always wished you would. I doubt its any cheaper to run and do about the same MPG if you want more power fit a Brabus D6 (around 270bhp)

I've noticed also a lot more sports....when I've been 'looking' but then I like the look of them. I currently have a S211 Avant guade with 18" alloys and find the ride very smooth. I guess the sports have stiffer lower suspsension?.

Your best bet will be to drive both and see what you think. You will get a feeling as to what is right pretty quick.

I'd definitely advise driving a Sport model before you rule it out. I went with the AG because I felt the Sport was too firm, but you really need to try them for yourself.

I haven't owned a 320 but I have now driven or been driven in several. I don't think there is any significant difference between the 320 or 280 in terms of performance. To put that comment in perspective though, I thought my previous 220 (170bhp) was perfectly fine in the performance stakes. The V6's are much more refined than the fours, which is why I changed, not for the performance - although the V6's are a lot better in that department too, especially when the speeds start to get a bit higher.

If I found two cars exactly the same, one a 280 the other a 320, then I'd pick the 320, but a 280 versus a 320 isn't a deal breaker for me. When I bought my current car, my choice was E280 Sport (too firm), CLS320 (don't like the looks) or the E280 AG (just right) - they were all about the same age/price/mileage. I went with the 280 AG and don't feel short changed.

On an '09 plate, I did find it difficult to locate anything other than a Sport model as MB seemed to punt loads of these as 'run-out' spec models.

Re the width of the cars, I have checked various data sources which show

w210 1799mm without mirrors, 1980mm with
w211 1822mm without mirrors, 1990mm with
w212 1854mm without mirrors, 2071mm with

Accordingly while the 211 is a liitle wider than the 210 the 212 is significantly wider if you need the mirrors out to see to back into a garage.

I have also noticed the latest 5 series and the A7 are even wider than the w212. Obviously only relevant to those of us with standard single garage doors to contend with.

As D18, try the sport model, IMHO it is firm, but it shares its suspension with the AG, all thats different is the wheels are larger

You get a manual overide mounted on the wheel (flappy paddle) and this proves remarkably useful...well I use it.

Like you, I'm not really sold on the W212 styling (yet). I had a W212 as a courtesy car and it did seem considerably bigger in my driveway than the W211 - more than the measurements might suggest if that makes sense.

To be fair, I measured my garage door and I have about 1cm wider than the mirrors...it would be difficult to get in every time...but the garage is a double and there is loads of room once inside...thank goodness I will not be getting a new 5 series.:)

Where does everyone get their tyres then? I always look around and the last rear Conti 3 cost me £222 fitted!

IMHO don't get a sport, it will be too firm for you. I'm 30 and can just about put up with it for the looks, but if I was any older I'd definitely be going for a smoother ride. I also came from a 250 bhp ( remapped ) Renault Megane R26 and whilst the E-Class is slower I find it perfectly adequate.

What size are they ?

There's plenty of choice for £150 or less at mytyres.co.uk and many premium brands at under £200. Additionally, if you change to a smaller wheel/tyre in the winter, then the expensive rears last a lot longer.

Correct!:doh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom