• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

W212 5.5 e63 - exhaust setup thoughts?

sixthree

Car
2015 E63 AMG Wagon
Hi all,

I'm sure there have been quite a few threads on this.

My current 2015 wagon is bone stock and of course could use a bit more of a bark. I'm not after pops n bangs (unless they are real and not induced) and I just want an amplified AMG sound. Seeing a G63 fly by I'm always envious of how good they sound!

As far as I'm aware the stock resonator and mufflers are already pretty straight through in design and don't muffle all that much. I've heard of course of people cutting out the resonator or gutting the mufflers but I don't want to go down this route.

Changing out the downpipe/cat I understand makes the biggest difference but I want to avoid a smelly catless car (if indeed it is bad) or have trouble with annual MOTs.

So my current thinking is...

• Downpipe with sport cats - any suggestions here?
  • Supersprint centre H pipe
  • Stock AMG muffler

What do you all think?

Thanks!

@AMGeed might have some input
Not too much if the OP doesn't want to cut out the resonator.
That is what I did and the sound improved no end.
Probably downpipes with sports cats is the way to go
Red Star catted downpipes bought and fitted through MSL Performance would be my choice if the resonator has to stay.

Edit, not sure if Red Star have a wagon fitment.?

My experience would be to keep the CATs and remove both the resonators and rear silencer but build a bridge where the resonator used to live to form a h pipe configuration. It's sounds good, not intrusive or obnoxious and pleasant on long drives 🙂

Thanks for the input so far!

Yeah that's why I really like the Supersprint h-pipe. Having said that it is just a bit of piping and they charge £800ish for it I believe. :(

Does anybody know of any amazing exhaust shops that can make a super nice custom mid-pipe? I'm based in London but happy to travel a few hours for the right shop!

I've tried Hayward & Scott in the past on my 993 and the work was questionable...

I’ve had the rear resonator delete on my 2012 E63 & it’s perfect for my needs & my neighbours haven’t complained to much..
Still quiet whilst cruising but boy does it sound fantastic when pushing on - using the manual setting on the gearbox gives some nice pops when shifting up & down and in sports + it really sounds fantastic - especially in a tunnel…
Was cheap to - only cost £300 or so with resonator replaced with straight pipes.
Not everyone will go this route but I’m happy & it’s been two years since it was done & it still makes me chuckle

I’ve had the rear resonator delete on my 2012 E63 & it’s perfect for my needs & my neighbours haven’t complained to much..
Still quiet whilst cruising but boy does it sound fantastic when pushing on - using the manual setting on the gearbox gives some nice pops when shifting up & down and in sports + it really sounds fantastic - especially in a tunnel…
Was cheap to - only cost £300 or so with resonator replaced with straight pipes.
Not everyone will go this route but I’m happy & it’s been two years since it was done & it still makes me chuckle

I think this is probably going to be the best route for me for now! I definitely wand to keep the H pipe configuration just like the resonator does!

I used Fast Lane in Romford but theyre always busy and can be disorganised. They do a quality job and have pipe benders etc Ask for Tony to work in your car, worked on mine and insist on h pipe configuration 👍

I used the chap who works in the same garage as MSL - had it done the same time as the stage 1 mapping session.

Another option is to remove the resonator and have the back boxes modified to suit your requirements.

Or have it decatted with downpipes and have the back boxes modified. PCW on Instagram highly recommended for the back boxes.

However, as a first step the resonator removal is by far the best sound mod. It gives a decent enough decibel improvement without compromising the original tone / sound.

Removing the resonator should increase the sound to a good level. I'd probably do that to start with. I stuck an IPE exhaust on mine but it's a bit overkill from a cost vs benefit perspective. I still dig it a lot but why pay so much when you can get the job done for a fraction of the cost

Thanks for the input so far!

Yeah that's why I really like the Supersprint h-pipe. Having said that it is just a bit of piping and they charge £800ish for it I believe. :(

Does anybody know of any amazing exhaust shops that can make a super nice custom mid-pipe? I'm based in London but happy to travel a few hours for the right shop!

I've tried Hayward & Scott in the past on my 993 and the work was questionable...

But of course you are not just buying a bit of piping ;)
Raw material costs are usually only a fraction of any cost model; plus they need to make some margin too.

Hi all,

I'm sure there have been quite a few threads on this.

My current 2015 wagon is bone stock and of course could use a bit more of a bark. I'm not after pops n bangs (unless they are real and not induced) and I just want an amplified AMG sound. Seeing a G63 fly by I'm always envious of how good they sound!

As far as I'm aware the stock resonator and mufflers are already pretty straight through in design and don't muffle all that much. I've heard of course of people cutting out the resonator or gutting the mufflers but I don't want to go down this route.

Changing out the downpipe/cat I understand makes the biggest difference but I want to avoid a smelly catless car (if indeed it is bad) or have trouble with annual MOTs.

So my current thinking is...

• Downpipe with sport cats - any suggestions here?
  • Supersprint centre H pipe
  • Stock AMG muffler

What do you all think?

Thanks!
I can highly recommend Akrapovic i have one on my 204 c63.

Thanks for all the info guys! I think i'll send a message to PCW on instagram. I just want it to be a nice clean pipe with decent welds or clamps.

Imran hasn't worked since his accident last July.
Torqueflow currently closed until further notice.
Wow, that's terrible. I remember reading on here about his accident. Hope he's making progress 🤞

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom