Review of C63 Headers - Moments After Installation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Akrapovic slip ons are around 2.5k, just backboxes. The Evolution system incorporates a mid pipe replacing the resonators. The evolution system is about 4.2k i think.

Capristo system similar to the Akrapovic Evolution is 3.6k. But it has valvetronic backboxes and it has pressure related option for valve opening, not just open or close or above certain rpm.

Great review.

Funny you mentioned West Sussex, was down there with my cat delete / red delete and I did cringe starting her up as it was left for 2 days.

I hope the valved exhaust will cure this and definitely no headers for me!

I was thinking of going decat for mine haha, I may have to re think if this is the case.

Any vids of warm idle, reving & drive by?

Also does anyone know if Acids supercharged C63 Saloon that he did first was just headers & also if they had sports cats? I heard that in person a few times & it was loud but still sounded good.

Have a look on YouTube https://youtu.be/ufig1AvI2DA
I have a few others not got drive by yet

I'd thoroughly recommend a valve controlled system - especially one where you can control the valves yourself if you can stretch to it.

The cars are so loud with headers and mid/back-section work that you can find yourself in situations wishing you had a paper bag over your head. Pressing a button that makes it no louder than a noisy diesel is a godsend sometimes, whilst still giving you the option to open it up when you're on a back country road, with no one around and just want the full V8 assault on your ears. As you've said, you love it but don't at the same time, so having a system that can satisfy both needs seems like the best option.

The difference is pretty remarkable: https://www.instagram.com/p/BDrVlvGNGjx/?taken-by=adamcollingburn

Cold start difference: https://vid.me/DBoY

Last edited:
So, I've had some more seat time and I think I'm getting used to it or it is generally becoming less crazy with some more miles down the pipes. Before, I used to drive in 'S' or 'M' in order to generate more noise from the lovely V8 (for my own pleasure) but now I find myself quite comfortable in 'C' just bimbling around. If I want to, I can run it in 'M', wind round the revs a little more and increase the pleasure to my ears without gunning it.

In town, it literally gets no more attention than normal, only a quick look back from people with ears tuned to cars but that was the same before anyway. This was my main concern really as I really hate looking like a show-off. I decided, windows down and next to a crash barrier in an effort bounce the sound and hear exactly what's going on, to get on it and as I knew, the thing is insane BUT, I'm please to say that it actually wasn't so bad (as in dirty, horrid and overly antisocial noise) and it still has that AMG tone, just louder.

In terms of volume, I'm going to peg it at about Nissan GTR levels with exhaust work (Y-Pipe and whatever), and it's actually probably not any more offensive than most motorbikes out there with exhaust work, Harley or dirt bike types also. I might even suggest that some of the latest Jags, such as F-Type R aren't far off this although they're obviously more refined; those with headers must be ridiculous.

The most raw of all is the start-up. The initial 'BANG' is crazy either cold, warm or red-hot. I know some of you come from inner-city area's and I must say, your neighbours must be very understanding :D.

I can perhaps see myself getting used to it, or at least living with it for a while. I'll continue my journey with headers and update my verdict.

I've tried for some cold-start videos but the initial 'bang' causes the Mic on my phone to adjust and become quiet for some reason.

We're off for tyres now, and then the car can come out of hibernation for Spring & Summer.

Last edited:
At the risk of being slightly controversial (and also showing my age), I can't really understand the benefit of fitting downpipes to add performance and then having to tip-toe around to avoid looking like a completely antisocial bell-end. The whole point of these cars is to be subtle saloon car that goes like stink while sounding great (but not obnoxious).

On my car with a stock exhaust system a cold start is borderline in terms of volume - everyone in the street will look at me when it's starting. I can't even imagine how loud a system straight through to the rear silencer must be.. Some of the cars I've seen at full chat on the Dyno sound totally OTT and I would honestly be embarassed to be seen in one. Just my point of view - no need for anyone to agree as it's all tastes and preferences.

Alex

Last edited:
I agree with Alex here.
I think that sometimes that deep V8 thrum that we all love can get lost in the vast cacophony of noise with some of the louder pipe options, and they just sound harsh rather than rumble-like.

Could just be showing my age too ! :D

My cars running secondary cat delete and is a goof balance I think. Never heard a car with headers or exhaust in person but from what I've seen on YouTube they sounds phenomenal. Not sure what it would be like to live with on a daily basis..

Of all the modified cars I've my C63 gets the most attention by far and it's fairly subtle in grey too.. can only imagine what people would be like if it had headers and exhaust LOL

Another day and it has toned down a hell of a lot. It is completely back to being a quiet cruiser but now with the added benefit of being able to unleash that true V8 rumble with a little more throttle. About town I would now say that it sounds wonderful. The full throttle screaming is now a touch deeper and does not make people stare at you unless you're going at it in anger, and in fairness you shouldn't really on the road.

It's remarkable how different the sound has become after only a few days/miles and I hope that it will continue a little further but, I am now feeling pretty happy. I will say again that it is still a stark contract to the standard sound, which is what you need to ask yourself whether you want, but it sounds good. Start-up...raw as feck every time and that's the worst part about it now.

The dyno videos that you hear are very loud in their enclosed environments but it's a tamer affair out in the open. You are also on a dyno giving it the beans which I can now personally say isn't a true representation of the overall sound. That I am happy about but after just fitting them, it was SO, SO raw.

My my, how my tune has changed since post #1 :D

One thing I do love, as an engine freak, is that noise you get with headers. The slight whooshing noise created by the gasses flowing down them. You might not know what I mean, but it's a beautiful mechanical sound.

Last edited:
At the risk of being slightly controversial (and also showing my age), I can't really understand the benefit of fitting downpipes to add performance and then having to tip-toe around to avoid looking like a completely antisocial bell-end. The whole point of these cars is to be subtle saloon car that goes like stink while sounding great (but not obnoxious).

On my car with a stock exhaust system a cold start is borderline in terms of volume - everyone in the street will look at me when it's starting. I can't even imagine how loud a system straight through to the rear silencer must be.. Some of the cars I've seen at full chat on the Dyno sound totally OTT and I would honestly be embarassed to be seen in one. Just my point of view - no need for anyone to agree as it's all tastes and preferences.

Alex
Being a fellow E63 owner, I would match you word for word here.
On cold start, in a quiet cul de sac in Cheshire, it is embarrassing, although it only lasts about 10 seconds. Once warm, its just a beautiful V8 rumble that gets gradually louder with revs...perfect.

I reckon most C63 owners run loud pipes, and most E63 owners don`t.

Just a hunch......:D

Being a fellow E63 owner, I would match you word for word here.
On cold start, in a quiet cul de sac in Cheshire, it is embarrassing, although it only lasts about 10 seconds. Once warm, its just a beautiful V8 rumble that gets gradually louder with revs...perfect.

I reckon most C63 owners run loud pipes, and most E63 owners don`t.

Just a hunch......:D

Yip agreed too....(similarly embarrassed <kind of> in a quiet cul de sac in Wirral)

Another day and it has toned down a hell of a lot. It is completely back to being a quiet cruiser but now with the added benefit of being able to unleash that true V8 rumble with a little more throttle. About town I would now say that it sounds wonderful. The full throttle screaming is now a touch deeper and does not make people stare at you unless you're going at it in anger, and in fairness you shouldn't really on the road.

It's remarkable how different the sound has become after only a few days/miles and I hope that it will continue a little further but, I am now feeling pretty happy. I will say again that it is still a stark contract to the standard sound, which is what you need to ask yourself whether you want, but it sounds good. Start-up...raw as feck every time and that's the worst part about it now.

The dyno videos that you hear are very loud in their enclosed environments but it's a tamer affair out in the open. You are also on a dyno giving it the beans which I can now personally say isn't a true representation of the overall sound. That I am happy about but after just fitting them, it was SO, SO raw.

My my, how my tune has changed since post #1 :D

One thing I do love, as an engine freak, is that noise you get with headers. The slight whooshing noise created by the gasses flowing down them. You might not know what I mean, but it's a beautiful mechanical sound.
Glad it has become more to your liking!. Are you still looking for a quieter back box or a x pipe?.

I wonder what causes it to quieten down - I can't think that is carbon build up as the temperatures would be too high - I wonder if the steel in the pipes itself is tempered by the hot gasses. Anyway, glad it is OK now.

Cheers,
Alex

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

stevebgt1 said:
Being a fellow E63 owner, I would match you word for word here. On cold start, in a quiet cul de sac in Cheshire, it is embarrassing, although it only lasts about 10 seconds. Once warm, its just a beautiful V8 rumble that gets gradually louder with revs...perfect. I reckon most C63 owners run loud pipes, and most E63 owners don`t. Just a hunch......:D

Yep old ...!

Nothing worse than paying for a mod and quickly deciding you hate it and having to pay for it to be reverted. I did that with a paddle clutch once - it was only in the car for a week!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

So, it's been a month since I had this done and after only a few miles (300ish) I am well and truly falling in love with the noise; it is exactly what I was after.

As I mentioned before, cold start is brutal but now more refined, a little deeper in tone and overall pure V8 noise rather than RAAAAASSSSP.

Cruising about is literally no different to the standard headers which is what I love as you can sit all day on the motorway with ZERO drone; it can still be a luxury cruiser.

Part throttle is lovely and deep V8 rumbling. Think stock and add then add some american muscle to it. It's nowhere near being antisocial and you can roll on by the public, the elderly and anyone else who may shake their heads relatively unnoticed. Put it this way, the guy behind you in the modified Astra VXR or Civic Type R with the massive drone-cannon will by far be beating you in the noise stakes and to be honest, most Caterham's, 911's with the PPS for example and definitely all motorbikes.

Full throttle is beautiful. It's all of the muscle that I wanted and somewhat less anti-social than originally it was. It might still be too much for some but for me, it is perfect. I do get some lovely back-firing now and a heap of wonderful crackles although not OTT like the Jag F-Type.

This brings me on to Eurocharged as I now have a "headers tune". The difference between the standard EC tune and this tune is actually very noticeable. Normal driving is unaffected but as soon as I start winding out the Revs even at part-throttle, the car feels so free. When I put my foot down it feels like there is literally no restriction at all and the car takes off so rapidly. The TCS does like to battle with me mind, and that's with the AMG diff. To put it plainly, I'd say that past 2500rpm there is more of everything, everywhere.

All I have had regarding the new noise produced is positive comments, and consequently only one head shake. To be fair that head shake I brought on myself, by statically revving it at an old guy in a car behind me at traffic lights, who I assume was high on medication judging by his previous repeated attempts to ram my car from behind and miss his brake pedal. I decided to make him aware that I was actually there :D.

I still stand by my original post which is to seriously think this mod through as it is a large contrast from the stock sound however, if you are thinking of it then I would suggest that you meet with someone who has headers to decided for yourself. I am more than happy to meet with anyone in the West Sussex area who would like to hear it.

Last edited:
Glad you are convinced and happy!
I am sure there is a slight hint of frustration that you left it 3 years before you did this?? Haha ;)

Glad you are convinced and happy!
I am sure there is a slight hint of frustration that you left it 3 years before you did this?? Haha ;)

Haha yes, but in some ways a blessing as it has put my interest well and truly back into the car.

Thanks for the update, great that you are chuffed to bits. Where are you by the way? I wanna hear it :D

What do you guys think about non-valved rear sections, such as Akrapovic or Supersprint? Would those do anything to tone it down? Using YouTube as a guide, they sound quieter than stock with stock headers. I suppose the risk is that They're too quiet but, at least I'd have all of the performance from headers which was my primary goal.

A bit late to this and I have a different car (cls55) ......but, I forked out big bucks for a supersprint system, expecting to get a bit more bark, wasn't after an open valved level of noise, but a wee bit more. I noticed virtually no difference over stock, which saddened me immensely! (And that was with an x-pipe too! What I will say, is that they are unbelievably light. If that is important to you, then I would recommend. PS if anyone wants to swap for something else a bit more fruity, eg eisenmann etc let me know ;)

Thanks for the update, great that you are chuffed to bits. Where are you by the way? I wanna hear it :D

I'm not a million miles away from Gatwick, so if you're ever around that way or a little further South then let me know :).

A bit late to this and I have a different car (cls55) ......but, I forked out big bucks for a supersprint system, expecting to get a bit more bark, wasn't after an open valved level of noise, but a wee bit more. I noticed virtually no difference over stock, which saddened me immensely! (And that was with an x-pipe too! What I will say, is that they are unbelievably light. If that is important to you, then I would recommend. PS if anyone wants to swap for something else a bit more fruity, eg eisenmann etc let me know ;)

Although I haven't heard one in person, I think I have to agree that for me at least, Supersprint would have been a waste. If anything I think they'd have been a little quieter which a month ago sounded good but now, I'm happy with the AMG system. Weight saving is always good, but I must have lost a bit taking out the stock headers; they were heavy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom