w215 C215 CL55 AMG sticks in park..int

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rossy

Car
Me:-CLS55 AMG & ML280 Edition Wife:-Pug 3008 GT Line Premium
This seems to be quite common on the Merc Auto Range and looks like mines started...
Its intermittant at the Moment...ordered new Brake light switch (Fingers X'd)

But if it isn't this and from what I have read and found its the bit of plastic that brakes that locks it in park via a solanoid....I can not find a walk through on the CL!
Is it the same as the S Class and what part am I looking for, seen a few aluminium ones that have been fabricated to cure it once and for all but not sure were and what part to look for?

When in the garage (quiet, engine off radio off etc) I can hear a machinical movment mech trying to release when I press the brake peddle...the rear brake lights come on 1st then slightly press more and the niose in the gear selection housing happens.
If I repeatadly press the brake and try and get out of park it does (hense ordering the brake switch)

Any pointers would be great...

Was going to start looking at the ABC this weekend but had to raise a gate at the side of the house which took longer than expected.
Then when I get around to looking at the car I hit this issue...trying to reverse out the garage so I can remove front passager wheel to look at the front ABC block....needless to say that never happened!:wallbash:
At least my Gardener can start laying flags next week where the gate was to low....(Having landscaping done at front of house) looking good too.

So may get to look at the ABC tomoz...we'll have to wait and see...also whether bad too....and have to have the main garage door open and the Mercs ars sticking out to work on the front...

There's no leaks at all now :thumb:...but still drops overnight :doh:...I think the pool on the floor was due to too much fluid and the Garage doing the full test on it...
Thanks

Last edited:
I had that problem on my W220 S-Class. A very common problem. I had mine replaced under warranty.

It is exactly how you have described it. It is the very well thought out ridiculous piece of plastic that Mercedes decided to place under the gear lever. It just wears out over time.

I'm sure someone will give you advice on what to do.

I'm sure

HELP!!!! plz...

OK need help like now please...:thumb:
Ordered both the brake light switch and the plastic part (11mm) that brakes and makes it stick in park...
So as not to waste my day (should be looking at the ABC issue)...I thought I start the stip down..
Seems you only have to take the wood trim off not the hole arm rest out (inc sat etc but can be unplugged and removed with the wood trim)

My problem is this...and its frustrating me no end...yesterday it would internittantly come out of park by repeatadly pressing the brake peddle.
The wood trim will not remove until the gear shift is pulled back...but its stuck in park so I am stuffed!!:wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:
Can't fix it because of the fault...how stupid!! How would Mercedes stealers do it?

PLEASE SOMEONE HELP!!!!

I am now sat at the computer waiting for a reply so please can someone help...or better still if anyone is near BOLTON manchester uk and wants a free beer!! (or cash if driving obvoisly)

Cant move the car either obviously so can't start looking at the ABC until I fix this...it stuck in the garage at least...

Last edited:
Did the old hit it with a hammer trick...it worked...
Had to take the hole centre console out and the plastic tubing that runs to rear vents which ment removing a braket over it too...
Anyway got the gear selector out and stripped off and the plastic was broken:thumb:
Should be with me mon, tue, so will start to but it all back together bit by bit each night.
Then I hope I can move on to the ABC Valve blocks...

Also worth noteing...you can not remove your key from the igition after as not in park, so bloody good job its in the garage...not that anyone could nick it like even if they wanted to...:) But if you do this on your drive...make sure you have a spare set of keys to manualy lock up after.

Last edited:
This is a very common problem with the plastic lever breaking.

Where did you get the new one from.

You can get the key out the ignition by pressing the button on the end of the round cable that plugs into the front of the selector module. While holding it in the key then can be removed from the ignition.

Last edited:
I always use a company in Australia for mine. Delivery is usual about 3 days. And they are metal ones also.

Lexus have a manual over-ride designed in for this problem. Why can't MB do the same? The actual bit costs pennies, but the fitting cost pounds.

All mercs have this except the cl,sl and s class. This is due to the fact that these three models do not have a sterring lock so are locked via the selector module thus having no manual override.

Part arrived today...was easier putting back together as most things are...still very fiddley tho...
Geased up to make it "fee'r" and works a treat!!! Hurah!

So may just get to look at the Valve blocks this weekend....at last...

What kind of part is that? My gear box cover is off at the moment, worth for me to have a look?

Its part of the mech that lock the car in park unless igition on, brake pressed...it snaps...£30 part but a real "barstuard" to change...
You have to remove the wood trim with sat nav etc from centre console...compleatly..
Then remove the rest of the centre console...then the duct that runs to the rear vent.
Then the gear shift housing...
Then strip the gearshift housing to remove the broken plastic arm...then reverse..after using grease...took me all day sunday to strip but had it all back together tonight in about 2 hrs!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom