W220 Wanting to keep it or change to E Class Estate???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BelfastBill

Car
S CLASS 320 CDI
HI all, well I have had my S Class W220 320CDI for a number of years now and thinking of changing it, because I need a bit more space for my fishing stuff, But do I need to?
The wife is getting my brother in laws ML 300 2011 with 75,00 miles on it and said I can use it for my fishing trips but I have an itch to get something new.
But I am arguing with myself what to get that would be as good as my S Class for doing mainly motorway driving? I happen to be a large chap (Big boned !!! )
Or do I give the W220 a new set of wheels and tyres a good valet and new front mats and keep her for another year or so. I never have had many problems with her, new oil cooler a few weeks ago and the usual ball joints and suspension arms wear and tare.
If I was going to tart her up a bit what wheels would look nice on her and any Idea where to get the rubber moulded front mats?
Or do I go for an E Class 350 Estate Diesel. 2009/10 era?
Thanks for any advice.
Kindest regards,
Big Boned Bill.

HI all, well I have had my S Class W220 320CDI for a number of years now and thinking of changing it, because I need a bit more space for my fishing stuff, But do I need to?
The wife is getting my brother in laws ML 300 2011 with 75,00 miles on it and said I can use it for my fishing trips but I have an itch to get something new.
But I am arguing with myself what to get that would be as good as my S Class for doing mainly motorway driving? I happen to be a large chap (Big boned !!! )
Or do I give the W220 a new set of wheels and tyres a good valet and new front mats and keep her for another year or so. I never have had many problems with her, new oil cooler a few weeks ago and the usual ball joints and suspension arms wear and tare.
If I was going to tart her up a bit what wheels would look nice on her and any Idea where to get the rubber moulded front mats?
Or do I go for an E Class 350 Estate Diesel. 2009/10 era?
Thanks for any advice.
Kindest regards,
Big Boned Bill.

Hi Bill,
I'm also of the harder to kidnap fuller figure variety and do all sorts of fishing and my E Class estate swallows the tackle with ease and is like wafting along on a clowd, she is an old girl with 157k an 05 E270 so a newer one would drive even nicer and plenty of space for the rods, just dont upset your Mrs, I bought an old Astra off Ebay off a keen angler when I turned up him and his Mrs were fighting like hell, we done the deal, drove it from the midlands home to the then North Wales, got up the next morning on a fine summers day to a car full of flies, guess she must of chucked his maggots down the heater vent, it was like a horror film you could not see the interior through the windows for the flies, a few nights of filling it with fly spray soon cured it, a woman scorned and all that lol

Had the same once when a box opened in the boot of a car many years ago and it was fly city for months. I do fancy a E Class Estate but love my S Class and can use my Wifes 2011 ML300 for my fishing trips when I need it so not sure if I can Justify the extra expense.

Thinking that. Just looking for options to Tart her up.

Having driven a W220 S320 last week and driving my ML (164) this morning...

I felt tiny in the S class (I'm average height and weight by UK standards for a guy), of course it was super comfortable and I could access all the controls, but I got a feeling of I should be of a bigger build in the S class/it's been made to cater for bigger/taller builds.

I don't get that sensation in the ML, may be it's because the AMG seats are different, and I don't know what the W166 is like, so can't comment there.

With that said, the ML is an absolute joy when it comes to carrying two cats, adults, loads of luggage and there's still room left over and it doesn't really feel like I'm driving a SUV.

I'm with @W1ghty, if your W220 is good to you, has plenty toys and ticks the boxes for you...stick with it 😁 and if you fancy a change...you could always get a newer S class 😈

Thank's again, as said I can use the ML for my fishing trips so maybe a new set of wheels and fancy Exhaust tips ( If suitable) and a good Valet and new set of mats .

Thank's again, as said I can use the ML for my fishing trips so maybe a new set of wheels and fancy Exhaust tips ( If suitable) and a good Valet and new set of mats .
I think we are going to need some before and after pics buddy ;)

I will sort out some before pic's she's nothing special at present just a bog standard Silver S Class 2004 Black Leather interior with 17" wheels, but she's a joy to drive especially on long runs.
I'm doing the front Pads this weekend and wondering if there are any benefits using vented/drilled disc's on the rear when I change them as they are solid disc's on the Rear now.

Anyone know a nice improvement to the rear exhaust pipes, also are vented disc's worth putting on to the rear of my W220 ??
Many thanks' for any help.

Bill.

I will sort out some before pic's she's nothing special at present just a bog standard Silver S Class 2004 Black Leather interior with 17" wheels, but she's a joy to drive especially on long runs.
I'm doing the front Pads this weekend and wondering if there are any benefits using vented/drilled disc's on the rear when I change them as they are solid disc's on the Rear now.
I always think drilled discs wear with heavy grooves on the face , and the holes build up brake dirt , never looks that clean all those grooves . I doubt there will be any increased braking performance .

Reactions: 219
It would be a waste of money.

Why not give it an OCD detail with clay bar etc and ceramic coating if you want to show it some love! Legitstreetcars on YouTube has some good vids.

I always think drilled discs wear with heavy grooves on the face , and the holes build up brake dirt , never looks that clean all those grooves . I doubt there will be any increased braking performance .
I always went with the ATE power discs , with elliptical grooves covering the entire surface .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom