wanted original front driver side wing for W124 1985 - 1995

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I don't normally post here but Bruce alerted me to this during a phone conversation earlier today and I thought that this picture may be of interest.

IMG_3475.jpg

This is my w124 front wing collection and there are a few pointers that you might like. From the far left, wings 1, 3, 4, and 8 are all prefacelift. Wings 1 and 8 are off a 1987 S124 and have a thick rolled lip on the arch. Wings 3 and 4 are similar. Wings 7 and 9 are facelift wings and do not have the thick rolled lip on the arch. Wing 6 is a fake and wing 5 is a brand new MB supplied wing, neither have the thick rolled lip on the arch.

What MB supplied you was, most likely a genuine W124 wing. Wing 7 is off a '95 E220 and does not have a star stamped on it that I can see and as I knew the car from new, I know it did not have its wings replaced so it is as it came from the factory. Wing 5, is a brand new MB supplied wing with no star on it either.

On to the Mudflaps. Genuine MB mud flaps for the W124 were always clamped on with spring clips/ M6 clamps and only held on by self tappers when installed by a chimp.

Syncropaddy if i am right ? gods country is Ireland .
We were both on the same forum sometime back until it closed .
I know its not good to send wings out by courier .And for that reason i would think these beauties are not for sale .They look very nice hanging from the wall of your garage Wish they were on mine..
I think that number 1 in picture is painted in the same paint code as my car 355 dianond blue . And yes the car did come out of Carols of Wolverhampton Mercedes Benz with flaps fitted with u clamps i would think .But over the years , the garage that did the work for my cousin who owned it before i did ,,just screwed them on , as the clip fell off. It is a neat job and after i fitted the passengers side i did a good job of waxing them up beforehand .

Back again on the hunt . Anyone have one of these original drivers wings for mercedes w124 thats doing nothing in their garage dont let it go rusty i need one ASAP . I can send a courier from my end to pick it up .Thats if its something that you dont want to do.

Up date on the wing . Its all fixed for a local garage to do the work needed on my original wing .So waiting now for a niice day to remove it . In the mean time i see this wing on ebay .Seller said it was original . So i ask for proof of the star stamp [again] . He said nothing on the wing that he could see .The pictures in the listing are not to plain, but with the help of the picture suite i can zoom in on the wing .I see nothing on it and at that i asked him to double check . Then i have this email through ebay to say he could see a Y looking stamp .That was funny bfirst no mark ,the pictures of the listing had no mark .But now we do . See picture and i would like your opinion .mememe.jpg s-l500.jpg

MissyR The seller told me that he could see no numbers, or letters on the wing .Then emails to say he found this Y mark . I think it was put on to make it look like a genuine merc part .You see all most every genuine Mercedes steel parts will have a star stamp on them. And thats the relevance, or reason i wont buy without a star stamp on it . Look at the picture its nothing like MB logo

The star stamps are not that precise / well defined.
He states it's a 'genuine part'. Buy it, if it's not, he'll have to refund you.

Up date on the wing . Its all fixed for a local garage to do the work needed on my original wing .So waiting now for a niice day to remove it . In the mean time i see this wing on ebay .Seller said it was original . So i ask for proof of the star stamp [again] . He said nothing on the wing that he could see .The pictures in the listing are not to plain, but with the help of the picture suite i can zoom in on the wing .I see nothing on it and at that i asked him to double check . Then i have this email through ebay to say he could see a Y looking stamp .That was funny bfirst no mark ,the pictures of the listing had no mark .But now we do . See picture and i would like your opinion .View attachment 77063 View attachment 77064

FWIW, I’ve had genuine W124 wings with a Y stamped on them. Not sure if the photos will post on here but worth a try:

As said already, the stamps can vary enormously from fairly visible to almost unnoticeable especially with a few coats of primer/paint etc on.

It is true that if we are asked to look for a "Mercedes" stamp, we will look for a "Mercedes" Stamp to the dismissal of ay other marks/stamps. So I would not be too worried about this "omission" he may feel that he was not asked if there was a "Y" stamp. I have also heard of "Y" Marks in Mercedes panels but have no idea what the significance of that is? if indeed it has any? It could relate to manufacturing plant or tooling used?

Thank you for your picture will . And also a111r . Bruce thank you also . It is nice to know you still helping others ,as usual . Hope all is going to plan. See the first guy told me he could see no marks on the wing . I can blow the picture up and i can see no mark .Then the owner of the garage came on and said yes its like a Y mark. Then bells went off .I though he had stamped the wing to sell it .

I wouldn’t lose sleep over whether the wing had a stamp (or whether you can spot it!) or not, so long as it’s rust free and fits properly what’s the issue?

I had another genuine W124 wing a while back and couldn’t easily find a stamp on that when I looked. They’re so small it’s sometimes near impossible to find especially if the panel has had any additional paint work coats from new:

So its hard to sort this one out . Thanks for all the pictures and the information .Just need to make my own mind up .But i dont want an aftermarket wing on an all genuine 100% mercedes .

It seems to me very unlikely that a vendor would go find his stamps (last used 25 years back, on alloy 'VIN' plates) and quickly bash out a 'Y', speculatively?
Would take me days to find mine...last used 1995.

a111r Well what makes it funny is that first guy said no marks .Then the boss come and said yes a i can see what looks like a Y .Then i go and blow the picture up with the use of picture suite just to see if i could , and i can see nothing on the panel. Then all of a sudden its got a mark on it Looking at the wing with the Y stamp on it, i could see it without going out of my way but the first guy could not .

dw124r Right follow up .The seller looked at the wing and glory be he found a number 2 so now we have 1 - 2 and a Y I have a star and a 1 on the car wing now I think its a good start to a quiz . Si I am still searching .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom