Washing and Polishing.....But Not Detailing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
That's the type I use but a different make….probably made in the same place and money added for 'the name' no doubt.!

If you feel spendy. The grit guard is optional and 6 years on I cannot tell if it actually does something. Rinse the sponge gently and no sand or grit will ever lift off the bottom of the bucket.

Sponge.
eek.gif
confused.gif
eek.gif

Alex means lambswool mitt, it was just a typo.
biggrin.gif

I'm all about the detailing - and now I enjoy the words 'noodle mitt'.

Pretty much everyone of my old cars got one wash when I first bought them and then that was it. I've gone Autoglym and Meguiars crazy since buying my Merc!

Stupid question probably but I need to ask - how do you get swirls on paintwork in the first place? I don't use automatic car washes but I have recently during winter resorted to using the local hand car wash who are actually very good.

Hmm, I doubt my own hand car wash at home is any better than the local one so I guess swirls are inevitable for me at least.

Hmm, I doubt my own hand car wash at home is any better than the local one so I guess swirls are inevitable for me at least.

The object of the two bucket method of washing is so that small particles e.g. grit don't get dragged across your paintwork. The car wash uses the same sponge(s) to soap one dirty car and then the next and the same water topped up. I have even seen them drop a sponge and out it straight back onto paintwork.
Then they compound the issue by re-using drying cloths over and over with cleaning them. It is inevitable that dirt is caught in the fibres.
The other thing they (and most other people to be fair) do is rub the drying cloth over the paintwork. Anything on the cloth or that has been blown one the wind post wash and pre-dry is then dragged over the paint. That is why drying should be a case of placing the cloth on the car, patting dry and then lifting off with no rubbing.

Not being one to rush into anything, I have now ordered:

2 buckets with grit guards
1 noodle mitt
1 bottle of Autoglym polish (I already have some shampoo)

So........

- What is the best way to apply and remove the polish ?
- Do I need a lambswool glove for anything ?
- Can't I just bin all of the above and go back to using a washing up bowl, some Fairy Liquid and a grotty three year-old sponge like I did in the 80's when life was simple ??

- What is the best way to apply and remove the polish ?
- Do I need a lambswool glove for anything ?

AG SRP is best applied to a wet car or with a damp applicator. Use a foam or micro fibre applicator (or folded up m/f cloth) an apply….lightly for just protection only or with more pressure for reducing scratches. Apply very thin coat of AG SRP to the car; if applying on wet car, you will need to wring your cloth out periodically, if using damp cloth, you will need to dampen it as you go along.

Once the car is covered, it will also be dry, go back to where you started (likely the roof) and see if the polish has hazed/dried. If it has, it will come off easily with a dry m/f cloth………..fold this cloth twice so it is a smaller square and periodically use a different face to buff of, giving it a little shake to get rid of the powdered polish.

Keep AG SRP away from rubber trim……..it won't harm it but it will leave a white mark which will annoy and need cleaning off. Don't use too much polish at one time and I prefer to put it onto the car and spread rather than onto the cloth.

Don't worry if it sounds………however it sounds. AG have some decent instructional videos on their website/YouTube. In fact, why did I just type all this when………….:doh:

Lambswool mitt is used by many for cleaning. Entirely up to you whether or not you want to use one or not.

Have never used the two bucket method , use a large bucket bought from Tops Tiles with a grit guard in , never use the water in the bucket for the paintwork when the level of water is low say 4" above grit guard , cant be ****d humping two buckets around the car , not at my age anyway :eek:

BAL Mixing Bucket 22.5ltr

Last edited:
Interesting piece on grit guards HERE from Polished Bliss which surprised me this morning.

I use these people for my supplies of Blackfire products on a regular basis, consequently tending to have a bit of faith in them. As it happens, I never use a grit guard in my buckets either, not necessarily for the reasons mentioned, so it looks like I'm not on my own. :)

You've got the bug now...

Something like this will be good for applying polish...

Flexipads Multi-Purpose Applicator Pad | Multi-Purpose Foam Applicator Pad

For buffing off, good quality microfibres, checkout www.saverschoice.co.uk

Like both these sites as prices are what you pay nothing extra for delivery.

Have used both companies and rate them both.

Will these be good enough ?

http://www.saverschoiceuk.com/16-x-...re-car-detailing-cloth-with-cloth-border.html

Or do I need the "super plush" ones ?

16" x 24" Super Plush 470gsm Blue Microfibre Edgeless Korean Car Detailing Cloth

Won't a pair of old underpants do ??

Have never used the two bucket method , use a large bucket bought from Tops Tiles with a grit guard in , never use the water in the bucket for the paintwork when the level of water is low say 4" above grit guard , cant be ****d humping two buckets around the car , not at my age anyway :eek:

I can't really be ars*d humping one bucket.

I'd just go for the first one there to be honest, make sure that it they have labels on them that you remove them first as they can scratch.

Won't a pair of old underpants do ??

Certainly, if they're clean and made out of microfibre. :D

Scott_F said:

I've got the latter I think, they were on a group buy and cheap as chips.

As for your under crackers mate, thankfully I can't comment!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom