Watch winders

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tan

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
W140 S-Class, Porsche Cayenne and Porsche Boxster
Hi

I need to buy a watch winder with room for 4 watches.

What should I be looking for and can anyone recommend one.

I don't want to spend a fortune, around the £100 mark if possible.

Thanks

Tan

Fleabay is as good as anywhere else to buy an entry level winder.

You can spend hundreds if you want, but in essence you are only paying hundreds so you can tell people that you spent hundreds, it not like they rotate your watches in a better circle :dk:

Get one with different programs, then choose a program that "rests" your watches for a time, if it was on your arm permanently, you wouldn't be moving at all times.

For example...

New Burlwood Four (4) Watch Winder : Japanese Motors : Mains / Battery (PL2) | eBay

You may also want to consider getting one that is mains AND battery powered, so that you can stuff it into the safe when you are away.

Only problem with watch winders, if you have largeish wrists and like wearing chrono's and larger watches, they don't fit into the cheaper watch winders very well. I have the E Bay one above and wear Omega chrono and an Ebel chrono I find it difficult to put them on one of the rotors. Make sure they also have a programmed winding, different directions and times ect.

Are they really necessary.
The only time my autos come out lately seem to be important meetings or funerals...

The thinking behind them is that if an automatic watch is constantly moving / wound, it will not seize. The opposite end of the argument is that the watch is constantly in use and, therefore, will suffer more wear and tear.

Thats the same one mozzer linked to earlier , even uses the same picture .

Cheaper from your source though.

I just let my automatics stop when I'm not wearing them. I've got quite a few watches and mostly wear them in rotation, only 3 of them are automatic so they don't get too much wrist time. They're all fairly agricultural movements anyway (two Seikos and 1 Miyota/Citizen), maybe when I do get around to treating myself to something decent I'll review the decision..

Cheers,

Gaz

The thinking behind them is that if an automatic watch is constantly moving / wound, it will not seize. The opposite end of the argument is that the watch is constantly in use and, therefore, will suffer more wear and tear.
My thoughts exactly,
I've had an old AirKing for donkeys years and sometimes it's been idle for over a year. A bit of vigorous wrist motion for a minute or two...:eek:....gets it going a treat....

I understood them to cause more problems than cure, unless the auto is the sort that needs lots of effort to reset each time its taken out.

I have a few auto watches. I'm fairly content to let them wind down when not in use and then set/wind them when I want to use them. There's arguments either way as to whether winders actually prolong the life of a watch more than just letting them wind down.

My list I have written elsewhere, but as a keen wardrober of watches I avoid these. 1 - they are not safe friendly and 2 they are advised to cause a fair bit of damage if used continuously.

Just looking at a rose gold blancpain 50 fathoms....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom