What are the first suspension parts that need replacing/refreshing? (W212)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TeddyRuxpin

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
2x E350 CDI Sport W212s... for a bit
Hi,

I have a W212 with 143k miles. As far as I know, it hasn't had any suspension work or bushings done. I also drive my dad's W212 with 40k miles on it from time to time, so it's interesting to compare the two! I have to say that the difference in ride is minimal, which is a testament to how well the car is built.

I might be imagining it but I think there might be a hint of/a slight lack of 'tightness' when going over some bumps, compared to the car with less miles. I wouldn't quite call it 'knocking' like on my old Golf when the anti roll bar bushings were knackered.

I'm having the engine mounts done soon so will ask the mechanic to poke around when they're underneath, but for people who have had to do any work/replace any components, what were the first to go?

Ball joints? Control arms?

(I'm assuming it's not the engine mounts causing the lack of 'tightness'!)

Cheers,

Ed

FWIW the car has a FMBSH and I asked MB to check the suspension at the last service a few months ago and they said it was all fine, but I don't trust them as far as I can throw them...

We did this on my uncles w212 at 60k miles:
- Front suspension arms (since almost nobody will re-bush the existing arms)
- Brake Discs
- Driveshaft rubber disc/ring
- engine and transmission mounts
these are the issues due to harsh weather on the plastics and also the weight of the car combined with shitty roads in england

Hi - thanks!

I don't know about the driveshaft rubber coupling or what it does/symptomns, so I will give it a google now!

By front suspension arms, do you mean the lower control arms? Upper? Both?

Does this require the tracking to be done at the front?

I've changed the discs and pads all round a few months ago, and the engine/transmission mount will be done in the next couple of weeks :)

Thanks,

Ed

I've got a W212 E250 with the same mileage on it.

Just had to do all 4 springs (went with Sachs) due to both nearside being broken, I did all 4 shocks whilst I was in there.
I had a knock from the nearside which sounded like something rattling in the glovebox, tuned out to be the strut top on that side, used a Lemforder part for that (I've already done both both engine and gearbox mounts)
I've been at it with a pry bar and the original bushes look in decent condition still.
There;s a certain vagueness to it all but I'm not sure if that's how they were originally set up.

I'd be reluctant to start replacing arms just on the off chance

:)

I had my engine mounts and gearbox moumts changed on my w212 when I first got it over a year and some ago at 60k. Made a huge difference. I would have a garage check over all the suspension and go from there. They are seriously heavy car the w212 and do seem to have a complicated front end alignment. I personally feel the car seems very road tight. It's definitely set up more agile than my previous w211 and our current s211. I think its in the cars carracter to feel very tight and sporty upfront compared to the older 211 ride. Mine has springs upfront and airbags at the rear. I think this is why it is much more agile and sporty feeling compared to the 211 front airbag set up.

IRRC the W212 shares its suspension design with the W204 you may be interested in these 2 Pelicanparts articles. Worn Torque strut bushings are evidently a common cause of a vague front suspension feeling
Mercedes-Benz W204 Torque Strut and Bearing Replacement - (2008-2014) C250, C300, C350 | Pelican Parts DIY Maintenance Article

We did this on my uncles w212 at 60k miles:
- Front suspension arms (since almost nobody will re-bush the existing arms)
- Brake Discs
- Driveshaft rubber disc/ring
- engine and transmission mounts
these are the issues due to harsh weather on the plastics and also the weight of the car combined with shitty roads in england

Can you please let me know what the symptoms of the driveshaft rubber disc are please?

Can you please let me know what the symptoms of the driveshaft rubber disc are please?
First you need to establish what is meant by driveshaft rubber disc? If its the propshaft flexible couplings??? then this would give rise to drive hesitancy/ harshness on takeup or overrun but unlikely to affect suspension/steering feel-----that said it might contribute to an overall sense of a "loose " feeling car?? :dk:

Thanks all. I have a suspicion that it's the big control arm with the bushing in, and it seems like in the USA they seem more keen to replace the bushing, here they just replace the control arm a bit more (that's the impression I get from a bit of reading about!)

I suppose I have to take it into the mechanic to check out when I get the engine/transmission mounts done, but annoyingly there's a couple of week wait for most places.

While I kind of just want to buy the control arms, buying them only to find out that it's not the problem would be... annoying!

hi guys! just bringing this post back to life - i pressed in new bushes into my old arm according to the mercedes workshop manual

ive done it for a few customers recently as people thought it cannot be done-most mechanics thought you need a massive industrial press - i am based in huddersfield HD2 if anyone wants this doing contact me. i will do it and post arms back to you for £20 providing customer pays for postage =)

1640799725369.png
i use a 20tonne press and works a treat!
1640799767401.pngi have changed all my shockers and front arms with top mounts but now i am planning to do my rear arms

ive bee told that the rear subframe needs be dropped to do the arms as it is impossible to access the bolts? has anyone tried ?

FWIW the car has a FMBSH and I asked MB to check the suspension at the last service a few months ago and they said it was all fine, but I don't trust them as far as I can throw them...
why bother asking for their advice then?

So why ask then?

I just had the front wheel bearings on mine adjusted and I’m surprised at the difference it made - feels much tighter at the front now. Was only £40 at an Indy as part of an mot (it was an advisory but just got it done)

why bother asking for their advice then?
So why ask then?

Are you asking why months prior to posting this comment, I asked the qualified Mercedes technician (at Mercedes’ Benz’s main dealer in Brooklands) that was servicing the car to also check out the suspension? Is that a serious question or are you having a slow day?

Why not? It’s more information. I can do what I want.

You’re trying too hard to come across as smart on an Internet forum.

Are you asking why months prior to posting this comment, I asked the qualified Mercedes technician (at Mercedes’ Benz’s main dealer in Brooklands) that was servicing the car to also check out the suspension? Is that a serious question or are you having a slow day?

A serious question.

A rather silly response.

Your own words....

"FWIW the car has a FMBSH and I asked MB to check the suspension at the last service a few months ago and they said it was all fine, but I don't trust them as far as I can throw them"

So, you don't trust them but when challenged you defend the "qualified Mercedes Technician etc.

Anyone who immediately resorts to ad hominem attacks clearly has no other grounds to support their position.

hi guys! just bringing this post back to life - i pressed in new bushes into my old arm according to the mercedes workshop manual

ive done it for a few customers recently as people thought it cannot be done-most mechanics thought you need a massive industrial press - i am based in huddersfield HD2 if anyone wants this doing contact me. i will do it and post arms back to you for £20 providing customer pays for postage =)

View attachment 122189
i use a 20tonne press and works a treat!
View attachment 122190i have changed all my shockers and front arms with top mounts but now i am planning to do my rear arms

ive bee told that the rear subframe needs be dropped to do the arms as it is impossible to access the bolts? has anyone tried ?
Did you manage to press the ball joints as well?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom