What should I do? (ICE)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
GDC200 said:
Well I'm glad that everyone agrees with keeping your DAB headunit. There are hundreds of types of DAB aerials though including half a dozen at http://www.bluespot.co.uk/stock/dab_roof.asp

What about inside the boot lid and inside the A pillar..........
Thanks for that great link - will get in touch and see what they recommend:D Looks like I could be getting somewhere coz I really want to keep the Woodstock if I can.

Well - having spoken to Blue Spot it seems the best option is to put the head unit in and then keep looking as new DAB antennae are coming out all the time. He did suggest trying the boot lip one but tucking it behind the radiator. Not keen on that as I don't think I'll get the best reception and as I go through a bit of a blacksopt most days anyway - I'd prob get nothing. So I'm gonna put the Woodstock in and keep looking.

Thanks for all your help guys.:D

fuzzer said:
Nice alpline headunit ,maybe even an AV unit with dvd nav ;) . nice amp in the boot for the sub behind the front seats, just like OEM.

Dyn Audio 3 way components in the front doors and a few subs behind the seats .

Why not do it yourself ;) or if you get someone to fit it you should get change from 3k easilly :) www.caraudiodiscount.com
please dont mention dynaudio around me i ahve only just resited the urge NOT to fit them in my car

thankfully im gonna be saving myself a good couple of grand on fitting at the very least as well i cant think of one panel i wont be touching

Ok – it’s time to take the first step – replace the head unit. This looks simple and is there any reason why I shouldn’t do it myself. I know I’m going to need the special MB “thingummydooberries” to get the current head unit out, but is it then a simple case of unplugging one from the car, then plugging the Woodstock in and sliding it back – or is that just to easy?:D If it is that easy, can I get the “thingummydooberries” from Halfords or will I have to flutter my lashes at MB?

Breaks to answer phone – it’s MB about my manual that’s still to come, but I asked if there was anything I should know, suggested I drop in sometime to speak to one of the sparkies for them to have a quick look. You never know, If I just happen to have the Woodstock with me, they might just swap it for me?:D

Why not get a tax disk DAB aerial? Won't be as good reception as a body mount type but will be better than nothing.

headunit swapping is easy, jsut eject the old unit, remove the metal cage (cue swearing as it wont come out) fit the cage for the blau in place, bend the tabs to make it stay there, connect up the wiring (its all keyed so it can only fit in one plug)

slide the unit in making sure you aren trappign any wires, it will click in place

then power it up to enjoy

tis easy to do but can be offputting pulling a chunk of yoru dash out, ahng on will check if you need any wirign adpaters or anything liek that

according to my list the only fittign adapters for mercedies are speaker dapaters, headunit swap should be simple (want me to dig up a head unit fittign guide for you?)

samuelellis said:
according to my list the only fittign adapters for mercedies are speaker dapaters, headunit swap should be simple (want me to dig up a head unit fittign guide for you?)
That wud be great -:D

fuzzer said:
Ive just found this :)..looks interesting

Bosch DAB Glass Mount Aerial With Mast
Glass Mount Aerial With External Mast 10"

Price: £59.99

dabglass.gif
Jason - won't go coz of the folding roof - or is there something else you had in mind

RichardM said:
Why not get a tax disk DAB aerial? Won't be as good reception as a body mount type but will be better than nothing.
Richard - I've only seen and been able to find these for phones. Do you know where does them for DAB radio?

pammy said:
Jason - won't go coz of the folding roof - or is there something else you had in mind

How about on the windscreen at the top middle?

Maybe not that particular one as it looks HUGE but might get better reception with it tho.

Just an idea. Might photoshop it onto your car to see what it looks like laters.

ive jsut had a look and ive lost the head unit fiting ling, will keep looking but once you ahve the original oem unit out and the cage out its plug and play

im not sure if the slk has any auxillary displays or steerign wheel controls but if it does they wont work with a aftermarket unit

fuzzer said:
Might photoshop it onto your car to see what it looks like laters.
I don't know how long the aerial is, but it might look a little bit like this if mounted to the windscreen.

Attachments

• slkdab.jpg
    slkdab.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 78
Shude said:
I don't know how long the aerial is, but it might look a little bit like this if mounted to the windscreen.
Quick Pammy!!! Some bird has nicked your motor :D :p

Actually the silver grille blends nicely with the rest of the car.

S.

Steve_Perry said:
Quick Pammy!!! Some bird has nicked your motor :D :p

Actually the silver grille blends nicely with the rest of the car.

S.
That must be the SLK 32 grille . . looks nice. Seen a similar one on an ML ...

you need the part number for that Pammy !

S.

Last edited:
sym said:
That must be the SLK 32 grille . . looks nice. Seen a similar one on an ML ...

you need the part number for that Pammy !

S.

and the V6 kompressor badges :)

Actually I think that is a final edition SLK grill, I removed some silly badges from the wing, I think that's what they said :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom