What started your car addiction?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My dad loves to bring us to a road trip since I was a kid. That pushes me to know more about cars. Though we only have one and not that pricey but we are contented with it :)

I’m not addicted, I can quit any time I like....

I’m more a mechanism addict than a car addict really. Engineer brain that prefers things to people. Never happier than when tinkering with something.

Cars just fed that habit in a practical way.

I’m not addicted, I can quit any time I like....

I’m more a mechanism addict than a car addict really. Engineer brain that prefers things to people. Never happier than when tinkering with something.

Cars just fed that habit in a practical way.
I totally get you. Things can usually be made to work properly. Unlike some people.
My obsession probably comes from picnics on Blackheath when I was 6-8 years old. I used to car spot all the vehicles going along the A2 and knew all the makes by sight. This was the early 70s so there weren’t that many cars. I couldn’t do this now though...... “Euro box ..... another Euro box.......ooh a 190!”

When at junior school a friend I knocked about with had a car mad Dad; he built and raced Formula 1 Stock cars really serious stuff, all fitted with brand new Pontiac V8's at the time.
When I realised this I was never away, and attended as many races as possible with them and worked as an extra pair of hands when repairs etc needed doing.
This always stuck with me and I was hooked on cars from then on, even having a number of years a few years ago racing classic cars myself.
As payment for helping him when I was 17 he offered me a Merc SL350 pagoda top I think it was which needed some work doing, needless to say insurance wouldn't touch me so I had to turn it down.
I've always liked the SL models but it has taken me until I'm over 60 years of age to actually get my hands on one, which just happened to be last weekend when I picked up my very own SL400 from Ipswich.

Attachments

• 708f645c9e7d4e808af36c627fee86ba (1).jpg
    708f645c9e7d4e808af36c627fee86ba (1).jpg
    239.4 KB · Views: 5

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom