• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

What would you choose?

It’s a niche car so options are limited. I would suggest these are the closest equivalents but the price increase is big!

If equivalent means Mercedes then:
AMG GT 63 - not an estate but a big car, and closest in concept. Big step up in price.

If equivalent means shooting brake then:
Panamera Turbo SportTurismo - not an AMG but beautifully engineered. Big step up in price.

I would suggest that in truth the Panamera SportTurismo is the closest of all in concept and is a stunning car.

I spent a week with the Sport Turismo before I bought the GT. It wasn't for me, its heavy and it feels it (not to say the GT is light) and isn't worth the 20k premium over the more capable GT63s. The base car is poverty spec, and for it to be the car it should be its over £170k new. These will be rare in the future as few have found homes in the UK due to the price point, its Bentayga/Contienental/GTC 4 Lusso type money.

The boot isn't that practical in either of these cars compared to the CLS. The GT boot is big but awkward. The Panamera ST is ok but the opening is terrible, no good for kiddie prams and multiple large cases.

I loved my CLS350SB, I will have another as a daily when they get a little cheaper. I understand sentiment regarding mortgage payments and owning the car, but your house isn't a commodity, you always need somewhere to live. I have been in your situation and I did borrow the £10k extra I needed to get exactly what I wanted and I never regretted it once, ended up owning the car long enough (10 years) it more than offset the cost. I would stretch the funds if it allows and go buy Nito's CLS63s, its the bargain of the century, low miles, and you will love it for years to come becuase it's what you are looking for.

I spent a week with the Sport Turismo before I bought the GT. It wasn't for me, its heavy and it feels it (not to say the GT is light) and isn't worth the 20k premium over the more capable GT63s. The base car is poverty spec, and for it to be the car it should be its over £170k new. These will be rare in the future as few have found homes in the UK due to the price point, its Bentayga/Contienental/GTC 4 Lusso type money.

The boot isn't that practical in either of these cars compared to the CLS. The GT boot is big but awkward. The Panamera ST is ok but the opening is terrible, no good for kiddie prams and multiple large cases.

I loved my CLS350SB, I will have another as a daily when they get a little cheaper. I understand sentiment regarding mortgage payments and owning the car, but your house isn't a commodity, you always need somewhere to live. I have been in your situation and I did borrow the £10k extra I needed to get exactly what I wanted and I never regretted it once, ended up owning the car long enough (10 years) it more than offset the cost. I would stretch the funds if it allows and go buy Nito's CLS63s, its the bargain of the century, low miles, and you will love it for years to come becuase it's what you are looking for.

All very valid points, I should point out though that I always have good intentions of keeping my cars for a while, I never end up doing it. What I buy next will be my 28th car, and I've been driving for 18 years

It doesn't HAVE to be an estate. But I have a child of 2 with all his associated bits. I need a car that can comfortably fit a large car seat in, and be able to easily load pram etc, as well as fit enough stuff for our continental drives to family in Germany (when allowed again).

I'm not saying there are no non estates that would work, but I think there would be too many compromises. Things like the Rapide or the QP are both amazing cars that I would love to own, but I personally don't think they would work. If anyone can convince me otherwise I'm happy to hear it!

The CLS already has some small compromises over a normal estate with the boot lip etc, which doesn't help with pram loading etc, but it's manageable.

What do you think, am I talking rubbish?

Managed OK with one kid and a C43 saloon. But when the second one came along I went for the C43 estate and it was a revalation - being able to load it beyount the line of the parcel shelf was a massive bonus. I've been cramming V8 MB estates with family clobber ever since.

Not having to edit stuff down is a joy as it means you've always got the kit you need at the other end.

Plus you can supersize them with roof boxes & bike racks

The format is brilliant. Get one bought.

It doesn't HAVE to be an estate. But I have a child of 2 with all his associated bits. I need a car that can comfortably fit a large car seat in, and be able to easily load pram etc, as well as fit enough stuff for our continental drives to family in Germany (when allowed again).

I'm not saying there are no non estates that would work, but I think there would be too many compromises. Things like the Rapide or the QP are both amazing cars that I would love to own, but I personally don't think they would work. If anyone can convince me otherwise I'm happy to hear it!

The CLS already has some small compromises over a normal estate with the boot lip etc, which doesn't help with pram loading etc, but it's manageable.

The Rapide would be somewhat limited based on what you’ve said. The rear opening was difficult for my 11 year old in and out, nevermind an adult dealing with child seats. The boot is also a very strange shape making pushchairs more of a challenge.

Have you considered a fast SUV? They’re not everyone’s cup of tea but as an every day every purpose family car they take some beating.

Whilst the handling may be compromised due to the height, fast ones handle keenly and accelerate as quickly - or even quicker from rest - than RWD AMGs.

Your budget could get you into a fast SUV in a brand of your choice.

The Rapide would be somewhat limited based on what you’ve said. The rear opening was difficult for my 11 year old in and out, nevermind an adult dealing with child seats. The boot is also a very strange shape making pushchairs more of a challenge.

Have you considered a fast SUV? They’re not everyone’s cup of tea but as an every day every purpose family car they take some beating.

Whilst the handling may be compromised due to the height, fast ones handle keenly and accelerate as quickly - or even quicker from rest - than RWD AMGs.

Your budget could get you into a fast SUV in a brand of your choice.
Tried an SUV with a 2012 X5 40d, so not a "fast SUV" to be fair but maybe it was just that car, I wasn't particularly sold on it. Newer ones are definitely nice places to be, and would fit all the criteria for my requirements, but which ones would you suggest?

Tried an SUV with a 2012 X5 40d, so not a "fast SUV" to be fair but maybe it was just that car, I wasn't particularly sold on it. Newer ones are definitely nice places to be, and would fit all the criteria for my requirements, but which ones would you suggest?
I personally have a soft spot for ML/GL/GLE/GLS 63 AMG and the Cayenne Turbo, partly brand bias, and partly due to favoriting petrol over diesel, but at this price point that’s what I’d be looking at. Your budget would buy very nice examples.

I personally have a soft spot for ML/GL/GLE/GLS 63 AMG and the Cayenne Turbo, partly brand bias, and partly due to favoriting petrol over diesel, but at this price point that’s what I’d be looking at. Your budget would buy very nice examples.

Hmm, not a fan of the ML or GL and I can’t find anything in budget for the GLE/GLS?

Appreciate finances are always a sensitive issue, so if I may be so bold (and you can tell me to mind my own business!) what is your budget?

No, not at all, I went through something similar when we started having children and I chopped and changed in part depending on how many we had - once we got to three kids the choices were becoming very limited and I ended up in RR Sports and the like.

Having lived through what you’re going through, I would err on the side of caution and go “bigger” like an E63 estate as opposed to “smaller” like a saloon like the Alfa for example; there really is nothing worse than having a ton of family stuff that doesn’t fit in the boot, you’ll soon start looking at more suitable vehicles.

I tried to buy the wife a 2014 4.2 V8 diesel Cayenne but she went for our 2nd X5 f15 40d. (5th car with the 3.0 twin turbo).....

It's a powerhouse on the motorway and swallows kiddy clobber......

Screenshot_20200916-174338_Chrome.jpg
20200916_174206.jpg
20200916_174012.jpg

Last edited:
Appreciate finances are always a sensitive issue, so if I may be so bold (and you can tell me to mind my own business!) what is your budget?
No that’s ok I put it earlier in the thread, or a different one I can’t remember.

I guess I’d be looking around £30k, could possibly stretch to £33k at a push

All very valid points, I should point out though that I always have good intentions of keeping my cars for a while, I never end up doing it. What I buy next will be my 28th car, and I've been driving for 18 years

Hahaha! You sound like the complete opposite of me, I have been driving 26 years and I think I have owned 18 cars, up until 2 years ago I still had 5 of them, one for 20 years!!! It pisses me off as I sold the ones I should not have to buy others I didn't keep (Mint original '93L Peugeot 205GTI 1.9 to buy a daily driver 190 2.6 Merc, and a mint original '97P VR6 which I gave to my ex girlfirend.)

Sorry, I did look but didn't find it.

I'm sure you'll have seen this one?

I'd still be looking for a price drop despite it being an estate and an S model.
It's a 2013 and got a few miles on it now.

The OP could do with test driving the E class to see if it should be on the list of scrubbed off.
Personally, being quite tall, I found the CLS to be almost claustrophobic in the rear such is the rake of the roof. That is a saloon, not SB though.

I'd still be looking for a price drop despite it being an estate and an S model.
It's a 2013 and got a few miles on it now.

The OP could do with test driving the E class to see if it should be on the list of scrubbed off.
Personally, being quite tall, I found the CLS to be almost claustrophobic in the rear such is the rake of the roof. That is a saloon, not SB though.

The shooting brake has more room in the back for sure, though that aspect doesn’t bother me too much, I can’t remember the last time I carried adults in the back of my car!

Having recently moved to my current C63S from a BiTDi 2016 Audi A6 Avant, knowing you can load planet earth into it and travel like sh*t off a shiny stick when required, I can't for the life of me work out why you wouldn't buy an RS6?! Sure they're a bit pricey but it's a seriously capable car.

You get all the load space with seats that fold completely flat, a massive boot opening and a V8 with over 600hp, what's not to like?!

Having recently moved to my current C63S from a BiTDi 2016 Audi A6 Avant, knowing you can load planet earth into it and travel like sh*t off a shiny stick when required, I can't for the life of me work out why you wouldn't buy an RS6?! Sure they're a bit pricey but it's a seriously capable car.

You get all the load space with seats that fold completely flat, a massive boot opening and a V8 with over 600hp, what's not to like?!
Cost, interior, looks in a few works

Too expensive for my budget I think, I've had a 2104 BiTDI A6 Avant for a while, and sure, it wasn't an RS6 but the interior design and controls were something I really didn't like, and I think the CLS looks better, personally

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom