Where are all the E53 Estates?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Life will be even shorter trying to fuel up a biturbo V8. Having had an M5 comp in the past, I must say they really do dent the wallet eventually. I miss petrol prices sub 70p.
Yeah but the smile that'll arrive on your face every time you press the loud pedal makes all of that worth it. I've had my E63 since December, I've spent an untold amount on fuel, do I regret it? Not in a million years, best decision I ever made.....

YOLO and all that....

Reactions: X27
That would be just 1 car though say which is hardly representative - especially taking account that this forum itself is far from representative.
Thinking about it maybe a couple, IIRC one was quite a major fault and the other was an oil or coolant leak with main dealer suggesting cylinder head or gasket fault.

Bearing in mind there’s relatively few of these about any learning from issues such as these is useful knowledge when looking at buying - eyes wide open and all that :)

Reactions: X27
Thanks for all your replies. I think the inline 6 engine is quite reliable truth be told I’ve not read anything adverse to say otherwise.

I think I’d be looking at a facelift E53 Estate but again it’s a bit of a waiting game at the moment as there just aren’t any for sale.

I do very little miles in it a year so costs for servicing, mechanical parts etc won’t probably come around a lot.

I do very little miles in it a year so costs for servicing, mechanical parts etc won’t probably come around a lot.
Servicing will come around every 365 days irrespective of how little mileage you do. No saving for services, but granted in theory you should have less chance of spending on mechanical parts when doing low miles (but not always).

I had a C63 estate, now in an E53 estate (small children to thank for this choice, mainly).

It took me ages to find one in the right spec I wanted - many months of searching (colour / Premium Plus etc). I didn't want a '63 as been there and done that. It is by no means the same character as a 63 so don't go in expecting that, but that's not the point of it.

Premium Plus models seem to sell quickly (sunroof / burmester sound / keyless go). Non-premium plus models seem to hang around for a bit and are much more of a bargain if you're not bothered by those extras.

Plus points on the E53 estate:
- Good ride overall. Firm, but not overly so, a bit softer than the 63.
- Fantastic range. Big fuel tank (80L?), well over 500 miles to a tank when cruising on the motorway.
- Drivetrain is superb. No lag with the EQ boost, and smooth as silk. Nice noise too; it's no V8 of course but overall still good. More than enough power for UK roads, and it's easy to go very quickly. An entertaining steer, too. Traction excellent of course with the 4matic+.
- Bit of a Jekyll & Hyde character. Relaxed and refined when not giving it some, starts to sound aggressive when you explore above 3k+ RPM, particularly in Sport+ mode.
- Swallows up all luggage with ease - but that's standard E class estate fare.
- No major issues so far (but only owned 5 months, and see below)

Minus points:
- Wheels get damaged for a pasttime. They crack or bend easily on our bad roads. Get the wheel/tyre insurance if offered; I wish I had. Believed to be the run-flat tyres that are the main cause of the problem as there's practically nothing to protect the wheel, so I'll be replacing with normal tyres when the time comes.
- Economy, while a bit better than the V8, isn't amazing. Think just over 30mpg on a run and low-mid 20s round town and you won't be far off.

Overall, really happy with it and a great thing to live with. It's quite a Q-car really as the styling, at least in the pre-FL, isn't very aggressive. Some prefer the more aggressive styling of the facelift.

Any questions - feel free to ask.

The E63 really isn't that bad on fuel unless your ragging it all the time!

roughly same miles to a tank as the e53 on the motorway 80l tank (on 2018 onwards), 4cylinder mode really helps, if your town driving more then go for the e53

Crabbing in the cold is still an irritation, but doesn't bother me that much, go for the V8!

I had a C63 estate, now in an E53 estate (small children to thank for this choice, mainly).

It took me ages to find one in the right spec I wanted - many months of searching (colour / Premium Plus etc). I didn't want a '63 as been there and done that. It is by no means the same character as a 63 so don't go in expecting that, but that's not the point of it.

Premium Plus models seem to sell quickly (sunroof / burmester sound / keyless go). Non-premium plus models seem to hang around for a bit and are much more of a bargain if you're not bothered by those extras.

- Fantastic range. Big fuel tank (80L?), well over 500 miles to a tank when cruising on the motorway.
- Drivetrain is superb. No lag with the EQ boost, and smooth as silk. Nice noise too; it's no V8 of course but overall still good. More than enough power for UK roads, and it's easy to go very quickly. An entertaining steer, too. Traction excellent of course with the 4matic+.
- Bit of a Jekyll & Hyde character. Relaxed and refined when not giving it some, starts to sound aggressive when you explore above 3k+ RPM, particularly in Sport+ mode.

Minus points:
- Wheels get damaged for a pasttime. They crack or bend easily on our bad roads. Get the wheel/tyre insurance if offered; I wish I had. Believed to be the run-flat tyres that are the main cause of the problem as there's practically nothing to protect the wheel, so I'll be replacing with normal tyres when the time comes.
- Economy, while a bit better than the V8, isn't amazing. Think just over 30mpg on a run and low-mid 20s round town and you won't be far off.

Overall, really happy with it and a great thing to live with. It's quite a Q-car really as the styling, at least in the pre-FL, isn't very aggressive. Some prefer the more aggressive styling of the facelift.

Didn't even know the car came with runflats. Answer is surely to not bother with those then you don't need the insurance!

Minus points:

This is a great summary of the car thanks for all of this write up, very interesting.

I completely forgot a different contender that I considered few years back and I loved it but ultimately decided to go for a different car.

The CLA45S Shooting Brake. It’s an A45S with a big boot right? Anyone have any first hand experience with that car? Decent with wife and kids in the car? Both kids still very small.

Didn't even know the car came with runflats. Answer is surely to not bother with those then you don't need the insurance!
Same here, I didn’t think the 53s came with run flats.

The CLA45S Shooting Brake. It’s an A45S with a big boot right? Anyone have any first hand experience with that car? Decent with wife and kids in the car? Both kids still very small.
Driven some but never owned one. Given that you mention small children I would definitely suggest trying one with your children and child seats in two.

Access to the rear seats is tight, and too tight for me if I had to lean in the to check that my children were strapped in correctly, but you may find it easier.

Performance is reassuringly excessive 😀

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom