Where's George Smiley when you need him?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
^^ I agree. Most likely to be unintended collateral damage.

I must be getting cynical in my old age. :D

Unlikely.

It just restokes the whole situation - and there is the risk of even greater fallout. And a risk that the perpetrator is fully exposed.

Unintended fallout from the original attack is more likely. Though that raises the question as to who exactly undertook it as you might expect the original perpetrators to make sure they covered their trail with no litter, debris, or other evidence.

I don't think the Russians would want the bad publicity right now either with the world cup.

So my guess - unintended.

I hear on the news today that the inventor of Novichok stated the agent would have long broken down by now.

The plot thickens!

Not perhaps if it was in a container/syringe sheltered from water and UV? this interview with the leader of Salisbury Council may shed a bit more light?

The 'broken down' is a statistical thing even if it does happen. You're left with something that still has an effect even if it is gradually decaying.

Simple analogy - print a dozen copies of a photograph. Leave them at different indoor and outdoor locations. What happens? Some will retain their colour and detail - some will partially degrade - some will completely degrade. Even those that degrade a lot may still contain enough detail that the image is recognisable (ie. the print is still partially effective at presenting the image as intended - even if your brain takes a bit longer to work it all out).

One thing the perpetrators won't really want is the new attention by the police and security forces - which will mean more of (our taxpayers') money to try and join the new dots with the older dots.

The difference between an 'unsolved' burglary and a solved murder isn't just circumstances or the amount of evidence but money and resource that contributes to the commitment to bring the perpetrators before the law. In this case the resources justified will be a lot higher.

There's also something that may be learned about chemical weapons. If the intent was to kill the original targets - then they failed. If there was no intent to kill the new victims - then they failed again.

I can't help feeling that this whole sorry situation was created by some macho idiot in Russia who saw how the North Koreans assassinated Kim's brother in Malaysia usig a nerve agent and thought it would be really clever to take this really cool even more powerful substance that they had stored away in a lab and try it out in the UK. After all what could go wrong. And hey what a great message it would send out. After all they got away with the polonium poisoning.

Doesn't sound like the area was cleaned too well.

How possible that is is another matter of course as it is not like it is radiation.

One proposed scenario was the bottle was picked up in Queen Elizabeth Gardens in Salisbury which was outwith the original search/clearance area following the original attack. As a survivor Charlie Rowley should be able to cast some light on the matter since the bottle was found at his house.

Last edited:
There are reports that the police have details of the perpetrators of the original attack.

However. Looking at the way the news of that is being presented I have a horrible suspicion that that information has come from a US source. If that is the case and the UK police haven't provided the information to the press (UK police not commenting) then that is yet another instance of the US authorities leaking details of UK investigations.

I would suggest that the police have been furnished with possible indentities of the perpetrators but little else. To reveal the source or precise methods by which that was achieved would be useful information to enemies of the state. Its said they were identified by comparison of images from CCTV in Salisbury and Airport Passenger movements in and out of the UK at the time, possibly using sophisticated computerised image analysis algorithms provided by other security agencies? However its entirely possible that their identities were known quite quickly from direct intelligence sources in Russia but again to reveal that would put agents at risk. Timing of information release is also important. Its perhaps not without significance that the World Cup in Russia is now over ? Welcome to the world of George Smiley!;)

Russian 'agents' named over Novichok attack
_103301965_perfume-bottle-credit-metro.jpg

I think the naming of the suspects will result in the Russian Secret Service carrying out the deed that the UK courts aren't allowed to do!

More chance of weeing in Putins wallet than these two named individuals being extradited from Russia to the UK!

Since he likes to punish disloyalty,
these are likely to be rewarded.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom