Which Antivirus do you use?

zipdip

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
s320
Well I use Avast on one laptop and Avira on the other both free and they do the job

flowrider

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
SL500 (R230) / Audi S5
Microsoft Windows Defender here, and daily full disk backups using Macrium Reflect. We have this on all our Windows PC's.

Reflections

Car
Mercedes E220d Coupe
I use Windows Defender/Security Centre on all of my computers. There isn't a need for anything else.

I used to run PC World stores (don't hold it against me!) and the margins on these products are huge. The virus/malware protection isn't really any better than Microsoft's and the other chap they build into the packages just slows everything down.

esscee

Car
S212 350 CDI (265)
Windows Defender and also use the free version of Malwarebytes.

Skd884

MB Enthusiast
Car
A handful of Amg v8s.
The one supplied with windows, dont waste your £.

A.J.

Car
2017 C200 2ltr (Petrol) ///AMG Line, Premium 4dr. 9G. Brilliant Blue with Alpaca trim
I have recently switched from ESET to Total AV. To be honest at the end of the contract I will switch back to ESET which I had previously used for years with no problems at all. I don't trust Total AV. You run a scan and it comes up with 12 tracking cookies for example, you clear them and then run Superantispyware and you get 47. Superantispyware used to do a good job of clearing cookies and so forth but now is less than useless :rolleyes:

AMGeed

MB Club Veteran
SUPPORTER
Car
2014 E63 Biturbo
I have recently switched from ESET to Total AV. To be honest at the end of the contract I will switch back to ESET which I had previously used for years with no problems at all. I don't trust Total AV. You run a scan and it comes up with 12 tracking cookies for example, you clear them and then run Superantispyware and you get 47. Superantispyware used to do a good job of clearing cookies and so forth but now is less than useless :rolleyes:
I found Total AV would spam me constantly wanting me to upgrade to the paid version.
Uninstalled it and use Avira Free now.

John

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
W222 S500L
Avira free does pester you now and again but I don't find it too annoying personally.

OP
OP
Dave Richardson

Dave Richardson

SUPPORTER
Car
C Class 220 Evo CDI and a W176 A class 180 cdi
Thank you guys & I appreciate your responses, I'll stick with Windows Defender at the moment as it seems to be working well without slowing down the machine. :)

OP
OP
Dave Richardson

Dave Richardson

SUPPORTER
Car
C Class 220 Evo CDI and a W176 A class 180 cdi
I use Windows Defender/Security Centre on all of my computers. There isn't a need for anything else.

I used to run PC World stores (don't hold it against me!) and the margins on these products are huge. The virus/malware protection isn't really any better than Microsoft's and the other chap they build into the packages just slows everything down.
Thank you for your response, my friend, promise that I won't hold it against you for managing a branch of PC World, someone has to do it :oops:

John

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
W222 S500L
Thank you guys & I appreciate your responses, I'll stick with Windows Defender at the moment as it seems to be working well without slowing down the machine. :)

Microsoft Defender used to be utter shyte. Maybe it's better now but saying "I have antivirus and it's Windows Defender" certainly was a bit like saying "I have a car alarm and it's a Moss"... if you remember those.

You could quite literally scan with MD and then run Malwarebytes straight after and find loads of nasty ; and not all just tracking cookies either.

Rorywquin

MB Enthusiast
Car
From new SL400 2017
For £20 a year I use Kaspersky. From what I’ve read, Windows Defender does have some weaknesses. For <£2 a month I’m happy to pay for something better. Was on Norton for many years (started ~ mid 90s) but found their customer support poor so switched about 5 years ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom