Who said you can't polish a turd?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I really must get the barge down to you for a seeing to (and also a professional opinion on some of the rust). No matter what I do the glass is stubbornly refusing to be clean.

I can't offer much advice on rust but my painter is only in Denmead should you need to speak to someone :thumb:

Good cars, those 306s.
I had a 1.9 XRDT as my first car and besides the sunroof leaking at times, it was fantastic. :thumb:

It was a good car, great on fuel, cheap to run. The ariel was leaking on mine, sorted it out with some sealant stuff Olly had.

Super job, Adam and very satisfying I'm sure.

Which brand of snowfoam did you use?

Thanks,

Snowfoam is a bit of a gimick but can help speed up the process when going around all the small areas with brushes in one go rather than bit by bit. I used a diluted mix of Autosmart G101 all purpose cleaner on this one and G101(all purpose cleaner) is usually what I use on the lower half of the cars. There are so many different products for different things I prefer to use G101 for a lot of the general cleaning of the cars, cheaper than buying a lot of different products in bulk when it can do the same job when used in different strengths. I use it for a prewash, on the arches, wheels if they're not bad, door shuts, engine, pretty much everywhere... It's all purpose!

Brilliant...well done. Much rust?

Cheers,

No rust at all, underneath all that grime was a gem of a car. :thumb:

What products did you use to tackle the white paint?

Chris

Hi Chris,

I see these questions a lot about what products for what colour car. I use the same products on every car I do depending on how sticky the paint is as some polishes work better by rotary than others on certain paints. No colour gets a special treatment as a good finish is all in the prep. I cut the paint back with Farecla G3(heavy cutting compound) and finished with 3m Extrafine and a blob of Menzerna Final Finish PO85 RE 5 to remove the marks left by G3. The blob of Final Finsh helps to finish down better and add a bit more gloss. A two step process rolled into one is another way of thinking of it.

A polish by machine would be the best way to make white paint shine as much as possible as it can be very hard work by hand and you wouldn't be able to achieve the same depth of finish by hand.

If you want to do it by hand then I'd stock up on spinach :p

So this is that 306 you was telling me about Adam, top work made it a nice mint example well done :thumb:

Thanks Gurpz,

Thats the one. Loved your car on saturday, it's what I wish mine looked like! Immaculate 202 :thumb:

Last edited:
Incredible, it actually doesn't look bad after a good clean! And for £80 I'm jealous!

What did you use on the trim plastic/bumpers? Great transformation by the way. I would have loved to do that!

What did you use on the trim plastic/bumpers? Great transformation by the way. I would have loved to do that!

Cheers,

Autosmart highstyle I think... Was a few months ago. Same thing used on arches and tyres.

P Reg and no rust!!! :eek: MB could learn a thing from them.

I can't offer much advice on rust but my painter is only in Denmead should you need to speak to someone :thumb:

Hows he with Hammerite :)

Serious Note - I unsure as to whether its worth the effort to get it looking top dollar, too many rust bubbles, although it wouldn't hurt for an expert to run his eye over and give a quote. If she looked as good as Olly made her drive I would probably keep her forever.

Last edited:
Hows he with Hammerite :)

Serious Note - I unsure as to whether its worth the effort to get it looking top dollar, too many rust bubbles, although it wouldn't hurt for an expert to run his eye over and give a quote. If she looked as good as Olly made her drive I would probably keep her forever.

Sent you a PM containing his contact details

Last edited:
Excellent job. well done:)

They sure could! My brother had a 306 D-turbo about 18months back it was a '93 L reg. No rust at all even the edge of the rear arch's diddn't have as much as a bubble!

Excellent work Adam!

Had a 96 406 Executive (fully loaded) for 10 years which we got rid of last Nov with 100000+ and not a bit of rust. Great car! Sorry to see it go!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom