Why so many W124 220 Cabrios for sale all of a sudden?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fenns

Car
Mercedes W124 Convertible, 1991 Mazda MX-5 BBR turbo
I used to lurk very regularly on this forum and even occassionally made some posts .... I certainly recall receiving good advice from some of the 'older hands' but I'm afraid work and finding myself making a 1996 Jeep Cherokee reliable and road worthy resulted in my losing touch here. Sorry.

Anyway, since owning an older car (cars in my case) in London has become increasingly frustrating and expensive I'm selling my A124 and in undertaking research for value etc. noticed the plethora of E220 models for sale and how few E320s are around. I don't recall the E220 being so prevalent when I was looking to buy (back in 2009!). Is it because there were more sold (being cheaper) and now they're nearing 30 years of age owners believe there's nothing to gain from holding on to them ... or, dare I suggest, tried a E320 and realised the 6 cylinder engine is so much nicer to drive!

The other thing I find curious is the few ultra low mileage vehicles (<50k) at bonkers prices - why would you own a car like this and drive it so little? It sort of misses the point of a Grand Tourer! Furthermore, in my experience cars have to be used for their prime purpose - driving around - or the rubbery/oily/wired bits don't like it and invariably give up the ghost at the least convenient time.

Whilst reminiscing whatever happened to that chap with a green (?) 320CE who tried to convince himself it was worth £50k because it had 500 miles or something on the clock ? Think he called himself 'The Boss' and his delusional posts always made me laugh .... if he's now a lauded mod here please acceept my apologies.

Anyway, I'm interested in thoughts on the current E220 bonanza.

As Graeme says, it's Summer.

Prices are a good chunk higher than three years ago, and none of us are getting younger.

It's a variation on the same themes going on amongst the pre-R230 generations of SL.

Importantly, advertised prices for "classic cars" are absolutely no indication of what they sell for - if they ever sell.

Advertising media make their money from people hoping to get an unrealistic price, not from vehicles actually changing hands. For that you really need to talk to people who have already sold, or look at auction results.

1992 Mercedes-Benz 320CE Cabriolet

320CE.jpeg

Second hand values are firm and a cabriolet for the summer time is here?
Nice to see some of the members I remember are still 'live and kicking' !
Yes, I appreciate it's that time of year - it's more the ratio of E220's to E320's that surprised me

As Graeme says, it's Summer.

Prices are a good chunk higher than three years ago, and none of us are getting younger.

It's a variation on the same themes going on amongst the pre-R230 generations of SL.

Importantly, advertised prices for "classic cars" are absolutely no indication of what they sell for - if they ever sell.

Advertising media make their money from people hoping to get an unrealistic price, not from vehicles actually changing hands. For that you really need to talk to people who have already sold, or look at auction results.

1992 Mercedes-Benz 320CE Cabriolet

That's a beaut - very similar to mine with the best colour combo ;)
I know I'm biased but these really are the nicest cars to drive and they still look great on the road - even after 30 years. Having now tried a number of the new-fangled electric chariots that Khan has forced me to embrace I was surprised at actually how similar the drive is to an inline 6 cylinder - very smooth and seamless power delivery is not a million miles away. Shame it now costs me £12.50 to enjoy this each time I have the temerity to use my vehicle on roads I already pay to use and park on.

I'm alive to the current auction values but would factor in a 17.5% discount (minimum) I'd pay for any car sold via auction - excluding the very elite vehicles - as there's often a reason a vehicle is auctioned rather than sold at a price.

Thanking you for your interest.

ULEZ in major cities flushing them out

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom