Wife got a brand new car yesterday, hit by flying wheelie bin today ......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It happens , I collected a brand new Saab 900 one evening, back in the late 80’s , and next morning driving into work I stopped in a queue of traffic and a guy reversed off his driveway straight into the door. It required a new one 😢

Very unlucky - hope there’s no damage

Lady pulled out in front of my two day old Suzuki GSXR 1000......pushed forks back to the engine and bent the headstock .. write off. I spend 5 days on hospital after a 7 hour op to save my arm....severed vein and broken in four places. I'd have taken a wheelie bin impact any day!

Many years ago elderly relative picked up his new car on a new reg at midnight (when it was a thing to do). Emerged from the dealers exit straight into the path of a bus, writing the car off. Must have driven his new pride and joy for less than a minute.

Just thought of another.....not me this time....:)

Years ago when I was selling new VW in Chichester I sold a new Mk4 1.6 auto Golf to this old boy....he PXed an old 70 Merc auto (in chocolate brown....I still remember that because I smoked it about for awhile....then bought it and sold it to a mates dad!). He was obviously used to pushing the throttle down a fair way to get the old Merc moving....so having shown him through his new car I parked it near our exit as I always did and after the paper work waved him goodbye. He must have pushed the throttle near to the floor!!....the car rocketed out of our place....not only managing to avoid any cars on the busy road but just squeezing between two cars parked opposite. straight across a lawn and straight through the front wall of the house opposite.....he went far enough through to push their wheeled TV half way across the room and the structural integrity of the house was deemed to be suspect and the house had to be supported with acro's soon after!! I ran across the road and had to pull the front door open using my foot on the back door and let the old man out from his brand new Golf that was now about 2 feet shorter and full of airbag dust. We never saw him again!!!
The story made the Sun a couple of days later!! Cant find it on the web though.....must have been nearly 30 years ago!!

Sorry to hear about that, OP
It happens but it hurts.

I've not looked at our roof, but a corner wall on a house few doors away from us, a 10 foot section of wall fell onto the pavement last night - if it fell the other way it would have fallen on their relatively y new car. Thankfully no one was injured when it fell on the pavement.

In 1980 I picked up my sparkly new Honda CX500 from the dealer. I passed to admire my new bike in the window, he was working v late preparing stuff for the 1st Aug, so i rode it out of there shortly after midnight.

10am Ish I was passing the chicane bends on Longford Road, Reddish, Stockport. The scrap merchant there had towed a motor previously from one part of his yard to another. I thought the road was wet with water, it was oil, splat.

Some repairs and I'm off again.

5pm ish, now on Parrswood Road, Withington, Manchester. I had turned onto it, was accelerating gently, and a dog running for the park shot from a side road. My front wheel bounced off the ground, bike, self, and pillion girlfriend all on't deck. Doggy ran off in pain.

More repairs required.

Not a good 1st day for the loverly bubbles.

P45 time methinks.....
"Hi Mr Jones; it's Barry here from XYZ Land Rover. I'm pleased to say your car has now arrived with us. We just need to do a wee bit of paintwork preparation and you can come and pick it up...."

I picked up a one day old Morris Marina (or Ital) from an old guy who had driven it home, gone to park it in the garage, and smashed it into the back wall.
He wouldn’t come out, his wife said it was his first new car, and he was absolutely devastated.
I really felt for him.

reminds me of the story about the guy in his new mondeo parking it in the garage and taking the door mirrors off ....... as it was wider than his previous sierra.

Fwiw I have a "sort of related" anecdote, albeit not as impressive as above.

Back in the 70's fuel crisis, it suddenly became popular for people to look for fuel efficient transport options.
My mother had been a St Thomas's trained nurse, and during her time as a student there had whizzed around London on her Lambretta 150.
Memories of that time prompted her to persuade my father to buy her a brand new Honda 50 cub that summer, so she could commute to her work "economically".
It was dropped off by Miles Kingsport (the local Honda Dealers) at the weekend. My father took delivery of it, as my mother was apparently working that day. 0 miles on the clock, sparkling new with a full height screen.
I had left home and posted overseas by this period, however my little sister was living at home. She and her friends had come home to find the new bike parked on my parents patio, and being a teenager she wanted to show off to her mates. She was into horses, not bikes, although she had ridden mine once or twice.
Crucial point here, my bike back then was a BSA, with gears.
So she sneaked into the house, and whipped the keys from the gift card where my dad had left them as a special surprise for my mum when she returned from work.
So, straight out to her friends she "coolly" put the key in, sat astride and hit the electric start. Being a Honda it burst into life instantly.
This is where she made her biggest mistake, I only wish I had been there to see it -rather than have to hear it retold by her friends...
She remembered me with my friends standing around & revving my bike, so she gave it a good old twist (as it seemed quiet compared to how she recalled my bike, and she wanted to impress her girls).
Being an automatic the Honda instantly launched itself forwards vigorously, something she was utterly unprepared for. As it pulled forwards, she was thrown back from the momentum, but having the strength and balance of a talented horse rider, that wasn't going to dismount her. However the combination of her backwards pull, and fierce grip of the handlebars/throttle further increasing the power input, lifted the front wheel straight into a perfect wheelie for a straight line 20yds smack into the house wall.!
Luckily she wasn't hurt... :cool:

Feel for you @poormansporsche, that truly is bad luck. :(

I think most of us have a tale to tell about bad luck with motoring and one of mine is as follows. Some years ago I had a Toyota that required a new engine after a mere 7k miles as the bottom end had gone. This was thankfully covered by the warranty, but what I wasn't expecting was a phone call from the service manager whilst my car was being repaired informing me that I'd need a new windscreen fitting due to the fact the mechanics had accidentally swung the engine whilst it was on the lift and smashed the windscreen.
Really Toyota?! :wallbash:

I have a couple of howlers, both from 2006/07.

As the new tech in the workshop, backing the customers car into the ramp during PDI is not the most auspicious start to one's prospects. But for maximum career suicide, make sure it's the one the sales director has personally sold to his friend.

Bought a new Aprilia Tuono from Motorcycle City (remember them?) on Lynchford Road, Farnborough. Turned up a couple of weeks later to collect it, they wheel it out front with the usual pomp and fanfare until I pointed out the wrong colour. :doh:

Reactions: Ted
Thanks for all the replies. Turns out only a small dent in the bumper and 10 minutes removing rear bumper under tray gubbins and one swift smack from one of my newly acquired dollies purchased to smack the dents out of my garage door, it popped out, good as new !!!!! Phew

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom