• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Will any M113 fit my C43?

frostbite

Car
C43 AMG, 96 Jeep Cherokee 2.5, Triumph Explorer and Thruxton
Having seen lots of tasty conversionsof C43s to 5.5 supercharged engines, I ask simply, will any M113 engine fit a year 2000 C43? Specifically at this moment, one from a SL55 AMG Kompressor? Then even if I get the lump for a reasonable sum, will it cost me further zillions to swap it over? The intention would be to clean up the new engine and make sure it's sound, then, as i don't have the faciility in the home garage, get a MB indy to make the swap and get it running.
I think most of the ancilliaries are the same?
Thanking all in advance for any advice....

Physically any M113 engine will fit in the 43's engine bay, though things like the sump and certain bolt on parts from a model specific M113 engine might not, be aware the starter though on the passenger side on the 43, it is on most M113s the driver's side.
Problem you will have will be the wiring/ECU fitting a K engine and also getting enough cooling into the already packed engine bay.

Last edited:
Thanks for replies thus far... If I was to find a 55 K engine, just the engine, no wiring, no ECU, no gearbox... How much wiring etc would I have to find from a donor. The engine currently on my radar has long since left its donor so there's nothing to get from it. Can I remap the C43 ECU or do I need a 55 K one? Does the existing wiring just need to be different lengths or are there different plugs/sensors etc? I'm trying to quickly weigh up what extra costs I am letting myself in for if I succumb to the temptation of the 55K engine..

I looked at this conversion.
I think it will be a tricky job.
I don't think the 43 ECU will have a wide enough map to fuel the K engine properly.
Secondly, the supercharger has a clutch which the 43 ecu won't have any control for. You could probably ditch it and get a solid pulley made, if there isn't one available already.
You'd have to look at an aftermarket ecu, piggy backed. I'm not sure how this would integrate into the gearbox control unit...
Thirdly the cooling system for the supercharger needs to be considered. This was about as far as I got. I know you can get the aftermarket ice kits. I'd guess that would be the best way to go, with a simple closed loop temperature switch to control it. I don't know if the standard radiator would be sufficient to cool the engine as a whole, but somewhere like Alan Dockings Docking Engineering - Custom Cooling Systems and Precision Fabrication will knock up a rad with a bigger core but fit in the standard mounts.

The main thing that stopped me was the fact I couldn't find an engine for less than £5k... I wouldn't part with that money without being able to drive the car the donor engine was coming from.

Looking at that lot I reckon you'd be in for at least £10k. But with an MSL or Eurocharged map, you would have 600+bhp 202...

Would be really interested if you do have a go!

Last edited:
Oh, and you'd need a suitable exhaust making up as well.

I think there was an abandoned project a few years back, forum member bought it but no idea what happened to it since.

fixed pulley is available now and I hear gearbox can be retrofitted , not sure how true that is....

I looked at this conversion.
I think it will be a tricky job.
I don't think the 43 ECU will have a wide enough map to fuel the K engine properly.
Secondly, the supercharger has a clutch which the 43 ecu won't have any control for. You could probably ditch it and get a solid pulley made, if there isn't one available already.
You'd have to look at an aftermarket ecu, piggy backed. I'm not sure how this would integrate into the gearbox control unit...
Thirdly the cooling system for the supercharger needs to be considered. This was about as far as I got. I know you can get the aftermarket ice kits. I'd guess that would be the best way to go, with a simple closed loop temperature switch to control it. I don't know if the standard radiator would be sufficient to cool the engine as a whole, but somewhere like Alan Dockings Docking Engineering - Custom Cooling Systems and Precision Fabrication will knock up a rad with a bigger core but fit in the standard mounts.

The main thing that stopped me was the fact I couldn't find an engine for less than £5k... I wouldn't part with that money without being able to drive the car the donor engine was coming from.

Would be really interested if you do have a go!

Thanks for the reply, and the time you've clearly taken on it! I guess there'd perhaps also be the need for a LSD etc? Whilst I'd love to have a go for the engineering hell of it, this is too much work/money for this car. I'm also half way through a project motorcycle. I think I'll forget a blown motor, maybe a N/A 5.5 at some point, but for now concentrate on getting the C43 nice and sound and see if I can get maybe 350hp (as a uneducated target) from it.
I'd had my eye on a SL55 AMG engine, going for £1,500. But nothing with it, so not for me now.

So, onwards with a nice tidy, 'warm' C43 (radar on for a N/A 5.5 lump) and new calipers and springs for the bike!

Huge thanks for the wisdom!

The 55 conversion is quite cheap. If you have space, time and inclination, you can buy a snotty e55 for a grand or 2, take the engine and sell most of the rest to get your money back.
It'll be quick. Mine did 0-60 in 4.9 on a vbox. That was on crappy old tyres and open diff. And 13.45 1/4 mile. Hit the limiter at 160mph on gps.

Yes, you'd want a quaife diff for sure! You should get one now anyway. It will transform the car!

The 55 conversion is quite cheap. If you have space, time and inclination, you can buy a snotty e55 for a grand or 2, take the engine and sell most of the rest to get your money back.
It'll be quick. Mine did 0-60 in 4.9 on a vbox. That was on crappy old tyres and open diff. And 13.45 1/4 mile. Hit the limiter at 160mph on gps.

Yes, you'd want a quaife diff for sure! You should get one now anyway. It will transform the car!

I like this plan, I have one of those big Clarksonesque grins already! :devil:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom