Will you drive at 104mph on this road?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dragon

Banned
article-1056614-05A5EEF70000044D-915_468x310.jpg

:crazy:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...4mph-bend-country-road-training-exercise.html

There will undoubtedly be more to this than has been reported in the Daily Wail. What, exactly, is a "winding country road", for example? 104mph could easily have been achieved on a clear straight section with no hazards, and speed quickly reduced prior to dealing with the next hazard.

PC Schofield is, however, probably foolish in claiming that his speed had been 'dictated' by PC Massingham though (if that is indeed what he said). Rule number one is to use your own judgement when driving, not rely upon someone else's.

Sensationalist reporting at it's worst, I'm afraid.

Last edited:
Still, he didn't have full control of the car at the time (on the basis he was on the wrong side of the road when a car was oncoming), so the type of road etc is immaterial, but it was an accident and he was "training".

Nah, I doubt I could get to 104mph in that staight section allowing for braking for the bends ahead.

I don't think the picture accurately reflects to actual piece of road they were on.
The text says.
A black box device fitted to police cars showed, in the 30 seconds before the crash, that Pc Schofield hit speeds between 65 and 104mph and Pc Massingham between 86 and 95mph.

30 seconds at average 90mph is 3/4 of a mile. That picture doesn't cover anything like that distance.

Obviously they were driving too fast for the road and are being prossecuted as a result.

I am sorry but the pair of them are pillocks and a needless death has resulted. They might be highly trained but they were doing this speed on a clearly unsuitable section of road.

Can the manufacturer of these things not calibrate them or could they not have gone to a motorway where the traffic is generally heading in the same direction?

Whilst I appreciate the Daily Mail always has a certain "flavour" to its stories how on earth can the drivers justify those speeds on those roads? I really be interested to hear from UnMarked whether this is S.O.P when these units are fitted.

To answer the question of the OP, i would not.

Nb : this is no way intended to refer to those who did or are doing anything on this road

Regardless on views whether it was right or wrong of these police drivers I cant understand why "training" or VASCAR calibration etc cant be done on a closed circuit such as used by Fith Gear. MIRA, or a purpose built track (RRL at Bracknel?).

Surely we have hads enough reports of dangerous driving from Police under the guise of training. Its just not credible to have one law for them and another for us...they do a good job in the main but this kind of incident undermines their work:(

I am sorry but the pair of them are pillocks and a needless death has resulted. They might be highly trained but they were doing this speed on a clearly unsuitable section of road.

Can the manufacturer of these things not calibrate them or could they not have gone to a motorway where the traffic is generally heading in the same direction?

Whilst I appreciate the Daily Mail always has a certain "flavour" to its stories how on earth can the drivers justify those speeds on those roads? I really be interested to hear from UnMarked whether this is S.O.P when these units are fitted.

Don't put him on the cross, remember he is off-duty when he hanged up his uniform. :D

I doubt any serving PC who is on this forum would give their opinion, after all they would be giving a formal version of events based on their official force policy & stance.

Wouldn't they?

i get the feeling, that something tragic has happened here but the same stance is still being taken by the same folks that they can do no wrong.
In that light please no one apportion blame as it could go quickly out of hand and you could be termed anti, all the way.

n.b. I hope justice is served in the appropriate court of law

Regardless on views whether it was right or wrong of these police drivers I cant understand why "training" or VASCAR calibration etc cant be done on a closed circuit such as used by Fith Gear. MIRA, or a purpose built track (RRL at Bracknel?).
It's along way to these places from all over the country. The crash happened near Over Kellett in North Lancashire.

Drivers need to train on roads, not test centres.
Surely we have hads enough reports of dangerous driving from Police under the guise of training. Its just not credible to have one law for them and another for us...

I don't understand this comment. They are under the same law, which is how we know of the crash. They are being prossecuted in court.

Never try to defend the indefensible.

I'm guessing that is a random picture of the area and perhaps printed to sensationalise the event?

Every county in our country has a stretch of road with a calibrated one mile straight stretch of road which will be used to ensure the accuracy of speed recording devices.

Regards
John

i get the feeling, that something tragic has happened here but the same stance is still being taken by the same folks that they can do no wrong.
n.b. I hope justice is served in the appropriate court of law

Do you want to expand on that, or is it just an inlamatory statment.?

Where has anyone defended their driving or said they shouldn't be prossecuted, as indeed they are being.?:confused:

Dragon, Robert - I would like to know whether the procedure is standard - not Mark's opinion (though he is clearly entitled to one) - I am not seeking to pillory him.

Every county in our country has a stretch of road with a calibrated one mile straight stretch of road which will be used to ensure the accuracy of speed recording devices.

Regards
John

Can this be any old bit of straight road John? Would it not be sensible to do this on a motorway which most counties have access to?

Do you want to expand on that, or is it just an inlamatory statment.?

Where has anyone defended their driving or said they shouldn't be prossecuted, as indeed they are being.?:confused:

never said anyone defended their driving did i ?:confused:
No nothing inflamatory like that. just think if *** had posted a statement saying, this is appalling driving or something along those lines, i think a tonne of bricks may have landed on his head.:rolleyes:
calculating seconds and quarter of a mile does not excuse the tragedy caused by these two drivers and i hope the full force of the law which is the same for all motorists i believe, will judge them.

N.B not ready to make inflamatory statements any more..
N.B i refer to them as drivers as i do not want to bash any profession.

Last edited:
Dragon, Robert - I would like to know whether the procedure is standard - not Mark's opinion (though he is clearly entitled to one) - I am not seeking to pillory him.

Alas, I was tongue in cheek after the comments towards PCs on a different thread. I too, would be genuinely interested to hear an opinion from unmarked/plodd etc, but if I was in their shoes, I wouldn't bother.

Please also don't mention the Dragon word and compare me to he ;)

It's along way to these places from all over the country. The crash happened near Over Kellett in North Lancashire.

Drivers need to train on roads, not test centres.

I don't understand this comment. They are under the same law, which is how we know of the crash. They are being prossecuted in court.

Because we keep hearing "that its ok as they were training" as a defence eg the policeman aquitted for driving at (i think) 150mph on the M54 last year. He was training to see how fast his car could go!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom