Windows 10

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I set Google as my search engine this way. Edge has remembered so far..

How to change your search engine in Microsoft Edge | IT PRO

To set your home page make sure you have chosen to open with a "specific page or pages" and select custom page in settings. Then enter the web address of your desired home page

Last edited:
I'd highly recommend chrome over edge.

I have dual monitors and opened the same page in each browser side by side. The performance difference is massively noticeable. Chrome is more responsive in all respects of navigating through and loading pages.

Plus I can't go back from using the excellent adblock plugins in chrome.

They Should Have Called This Update, Windows '1984'

A couple of observations now.

Win 10 doesn't like to go to sleep and then booted up. Do this 3 or 4 times and the system starts getting laggy. Proper shut down and reboot and it's back to full speed. I didn't have that issue with 8.1.

Microsoft finally have a PDF printer integrated as standard. I can finally do away with cutepdf, although most apps now have an option to export to PDF anyway.

Strangely I've not had that problem, considering I've now been making extensive use of that as my Wireless NIC now works properly and doesn't crash coming out of sleep.

Unfortunately no version of Windows to date coped 100% well with sleep/hibernate modes.

WoL is even less reliable.

We routinely disable this feature on desktops, though admittedly doing this on laptops is more of a challenge due to battery runtime issues.

No such issues with MacOS, by the way, Macs go to sleep and wake up quite happily and with no issues, to the extent that users forget that the machine really needs to be rebooted from time to time.

My laptop with win 8.1 only rebooted once a month or so when it forced me to for updates. I just shut the lid and it went to sleep and opened the lid and away it went almost straight away.

Massive improvement over win7 on my particular configuration.

Fingers crossed an update brings the same kind of stability to 10 in the near future.

But where's the benefit?
It has a start button.:bannana::thumb::D
I positively hated Windows 8 but after spending not too much time I am perfectly comfy with Windows 10
I only updated my W8 tablet but will be updating the desk top pretty soon as well

Have had the start menu go down twice,giving critical error messages,but updates
seem to have fixed that,all good at the moment.

Whatever happened to Windows 9 :D

7 ate 9 :)

I personally wouldn't use win 10 at least until they release the first service pack for it and get most o the bugs out of it, I've had a few friends bring me laptops and computers that they've "upgraded" to win 10 and it;s bricked their device.

I work in IT for the NHS and I'm running all my machines on win 7 or 8.1 ( because the wife likes it)

Won't be going to 10 for a good while yet :)

Alan

I've never liked upgrades - since the days of Windows 95 onwards (MS-DOS upgrades were fine actually).

I know you have to to get the free upgrade and your computers hardware ID logged at MS - but I would strongly recommend anyone "upgrading" to download the full media, wipe the machine and start from scratch.

Not had any issues with Mrs JB's Asus PC and I plan to do mine shortly.

I've never liked upgrades - since the days of Windows 95 onwards (MS-DOS upgrades were fine actually).

I know you have to to get the free upgrade and your computers hardware ID logged at MS - but I would strongly recommend anyone "upgrading" to download the full media, wipe the machine and start from scratch.

Not had any issues with Mrs JB's Asus PC and I plan to do mine shortly.

upgrades just carry on any issues you may have, clean install every time.

I would be grateful if the experts here would explain to me what I'm missing:

In Edinburgh, my Toshiba laptop runs Windows 10. My Border's home has a desktop running Vista. I browse on both using IE11 and IE7/Firefox respectively. Both connections are fast enough for browsing MB Club, YouTube, catch-up TV and internet banking and shopping.

Both machines have MS Office 2007, a guffy copy of Photoshop7, iTunes connected through hi-fi, Audacity (music editing) and RoboForm. Both are fully protected and backed up, I don't open dodgy links, and neither machine is filled with rubbish. The laptop has a stack of apps I've never used (apart from the time it cleverly allowed me to sign a legal document) and I don't game or use Twitter Book.

Touch wood I've never had a moments trouble from either machine - I switch them on, and they work.

So, really, what's the deal here? :dk:

Edit - and I've got a "Classic Windows Start" menu on the lappy.

Last edited:
They can take their W10 and poke it. Tried it for 3weeks and reverted back to W7 which in turn wasn't a patch on XP.

Why should I have to re-learn how to work something just for their benefit?

Mr Gates...go jump in a lake.

Just sat through 3.5 hours as W10 downloaded...I'll give my verdict soon.

The trust I work for, we are currently swapping out older xp machines for win 7, so I still use xp a lot :)

I do like it, but 7 is a lot better., it's a lot more user friendly and easier to install things on (drier wise) plus we can actually lock the damn thing down :D

Alan

They can take their W10 and poke it. Tried it for 3weeks and reverted back to W7 which in turn wasn't a patch on XP.

Why should I have to re-learn how to work something just for their benefit?

Mr Gates...go jump in a lake.

That's what I always say about the S212...Mercedes should have just stuck with the S124...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom