Yet another thread about the joys of W124 ownership

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

c955

Car
W124 E320 Coupé
I've just returned from a 2,000 mile jaunt to the south of France for a week's holiday. Fully loaded up cruising along national roads (I'm too tight and uninterested in taking the autoroutes).

The W124 was absolutely impeccable and simply superb. When I had to 'make progress' by getting past a caravan and two or three cars in one go, the car just wafted past them quickly and effortlessly.

On numerous occasions I had to ferry friends back and forth between venues/restaurants and there'd always be someone who hadn't been in the car before. They'd comment on not only how comfortable it was, but also that it was so smooooth and just seemed to purr along. I loved telling them that the car was almost 15 years old with nearly 130,000 on the clock!

The car appeared to frequently receive admiring glances from drivers and pedestrians alike, perhaps because I didn't see a single other W124 coupe on the whole trip. A couple of saloons and the odd estate may be, but not one with two doors only.

I did a 3,000m round W.Europe trip last October in the W124. I arrived at the conclusion that there really don't appear to be any cars (I can afford) in which I'd rather do such a trip. This latest effort has only reinforced my (rosetinted?) view.

Shame the breakdown companies won't cover a car over 15 years :(

Sounds like a nice trip... easy for the right car :thumb:

That's something new I've learned today, the 15 years age limit for cover.

I've just returned from a 2,000 mile jaunt to the south of France for a week's holiday. Fully loaded up cruising along national roads (I'm too tight and uninterested in taking the autoroutes).

The W124 was absolutely impeccable and simply superb. When I had to 'make progress' by getting past a caravan and two or three cars in one go, the car just wafted past them quickly and effortlessly.

On numerous occasions I had to ferry friends back and forth between venues/restaurants and there'd always be someone who hadn't been in the car before. They'd comment on not only how comfortable it was, but also that it was so smooooth and just seemed to purr along. I loved telling them that the car was almost 15 years old with nearly 130,000 on the clock!

The car appeared to frequently receive admiring glances from drivers and pedestrians alike, perhaps because I didn't see a single other W124 coupe on the whole trip. A couple of saloons and the odd estate may be, but not one with two doors only.

I did a 3,000m round W.Europe trip last October in the W124. I arrived at the conclusion that there really don't appear to be any cars (I can afford) in which I'd rather do such a trip. This latest effort has only reinforced my (rosetinted?) view.

Shame the breakdown companies won't cover a car over 15 years :(

An excellent commendation. We are indeed very fortunate in that such cars are our true friends and friends will take us anywhere in comfort, safety and relative silence.
Why would one wish to look elsewhere for companionship?

I hope that you and your friend remain close for many years.
Happy Motoring

Regards

These cars really come into their own when used like this. I've done many a 2000 mile dash in my estate fully loaded with four people plus heavy band gear, and enjoyed every mile of perfectly balanced handling, comfort, and that wonderful steering, especially on French N roads. One of the most capable and satisfying cars ever made IMHO, for real-world use.
Except when it's snowing ;)

Sounds great!

excellent thread write up!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom