• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

£4000 reliable mercedes?

philnewmerc

Car
CLS55
Due to a change in circumstances I'm going to be doing about 25,000 pa for a while. I need to put the AMG in storage (I only do about 7,000 pa at the moment) and buy something reasonably fuel efficient and reliable. I need something comfy, ok on fuel (eg 30 MPG min), and not a ticking reliability time bomb. Is this completely impossible? Been looking at w211 and w203 variants, both petrol and diesel. Any suggestions of engines to avoid would be much appreciated. (Yes, I know I really should just buy a Toyota/Honda, and I still might 🤦☺️)

If your desire is Merc then as said I would look for a late 211.
The 2.1 646 is the most robust and economical, seeing 55mpg is easily achievable on a run if not enjoying the power.
But rust may affect reliability, especially the brake pipes.
Then there are possible water ingress issues.

Car choice sadly all depends on if you have to go into the various emissions zones popping up throughout the country. Given free reign i would plump for a S211 270cdi with the lovely 5 pot om612 motor. A Euro 3 standard engine, i think, so none of the dpf ad blue nonsense to deal with. If you want a reliable Mercedes you probably need to buy an old Mercedes.

Last edited:
I fear that "a reliable Mercedes for £4,000 to cover 25k miles pa" is an oxymoron, but you may get lucky with either a late facelift W211 or perhaps a W204 or early W212 (with a sound rear subframe).

25000pa for how many years?

Just for one, then I'll be getting a car on business lease/pcp. I will be possibly crossing congestion zones but can claim that back, but fuel will be a flat rate fee not 'what the car uses'.
I could use the AMG but it seems a bit of a waste to use that and it will quickly take it over the magic 100k mile value mark.
I suppose a Honda/Toyota will be best (any ideas on engines to avoid there?).... but, a merc owned by a fastidious octogenarian from new is my ideal ;)

Something like this would probably be a good shout:

Now on Mercedes E220 Cdi, Avantgarde, Automatic, Ultra low miles, Mint Condition. | eBay

Lol, that is exactly what I would like!

Car choice sadly all depends on if you have to go into the various emissions zones popping up throughout the country. Given free reign i would plump for a S211 270cdi with the lovely 5 pot om612 motor. A Euro 3 standard engine, i think, so none of the dpf ad blue nonsense to deal with. If you want a reliable Mercedes you probably need to buy an old Mercedes.
That'd have the SBC.

Agreed on SBC.

Rusty brake pipes more of a concern at this age IMHO

I really like the SBC on the CLS as holding it on hills etc is a piece of cake with SBC Hold function. However, if it ever goes wrong I will be the first person to curse its existence!

I really like the SBC on the CLS as holding it on hills etc is a piece of cake with SBC Hold function. However, if it ever goes wrong I will be the first person to curse its existence!
I love it too. In fact, it is a feature I actively look for now.

P.S. You don't need SBC for the hold function now

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Our 2009 211 (post SBC) has it,
I would love the 639 to have it.

My 2002 S210 320cdi had hill hold. Well before SBC was a thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom