• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

£4000 reliable mercedes?

I agree the Jap big 2 are the way to go. Not considered Lexus but will now. There is one near me but it is nearly £700 a year tax... I know I know it's not the end of the world but I cannot pay top tax for a slow car (actually: any car) on general principle. But in general I will keep an eye out for a Lexus. Also, not sure I would trust CVT auto +battery in the bigger ones. But normal auto and manual I'm sure will be mega reliable. On the other hand, what happens if I twist my left ankle and can't use the clutch? I'll be ruined. Has the be an auto I think ;)

have considered selling the AMG but the company car will never be a 'special' car, probably just a CLA or A4 or something equally dull but good value.
I understand your scepticism about Toyota hybrids but these have been around for a very long time now, doing high mileages (especially in the States) in the hands of people who think they’re great.

I wouldn’t buy one because of the CVT box, but I’m not the client here.

img_3080-jpeg.155226

Just for one, then I'll be getting a car on business lease/pcp. I will be possibly crossing congestion zones but can claim that back, but fuel will be a flat rate fee not 'what the car uses'.
I could use the AMG but it seems a bit of a waste to use that and it will quickly take it over the magic 100k mile value mark.
I suppose a Honda/Toyota will be best (any ideas on engines to avoid there?).... but, a merc owned by a fastidious octogenarian from new is my ideal ;)
Use your AMG , a few extra miles won’t do any damage after all it’s going to be “good” long run mileage .

Ps. The best driving cheap, but powerful, reliable car?

The 2009 2.0 litre Ford Focus Zetec that I bought my son as his first car. Brilliant engineering. (His was petrol but they are rarer than hens teeth)

This one’s expensive because it’s on 53k

IMG_3081.jpeg

I think that the OP should decide if he's asking:

'What is the most reliable car for £4000?"

OR

"What is the most reliable Mercedes Benz for £4000?"

Might help clarify the issue.

£4000 for a non descript, 209,000 mile, 16 year old car?.....no! :)

Yeah I wouldn't be happy with a 200k mile car, even a Lexus

Use your AMG , a few extra miles won’t do any damage after all it’s going to be “good” long run mileage .

It's on 70k miles hence I think that gives it a bit more value. Going close or over 100k is a tipping point in value (imho).

Ps. The best driving cheap, but powerful, reliable car?

The 2009 2.0 litre Ford Focus Zetec that I bought my son as his first car. Brilliant engineering. (His was petrol but they are rarer than hens teeth)

This one’s expensive because it’s on 53k

Yes, probably ideal and cheap to service/fix. Usually poverty spec'd though (I know I know, cut your cloth etc etc :))

I think that the OP should decide if he's asking:

'What is the most reliable car for £4000?"

OR

"What is the most reliable Mercedes Benz for £4000?"

Might help clarify the issue.

Yeah I suppose I wanted to be reassured that there is a £4k reliable merc, but sadly that's not the case... bet I still get one though. Am thinking 2.1 L diesel E class maybe. But it must be owned by an old man who smokes a pipe otherwise it's Honda and Toyata agogo (they usually have lower mileage and have cruise and heated seats, which I would sorely miss doing big miles)

Buying something g very very leggy but relatively new is possibly a wise move as it will likely have been well maintained, worth buttons, and still worth buttons after you have added another 25k miles.

I forget the details now but in the mid noughties my father in law bought a 12 month old diesel Nissan Micra which had covered something like 120k miles,

It needed a major failure in the end which was uneconomic to repair so he just scrapped it. For the time he had it, it looked like a new Micra, was as reliable as a new Micra, and almost drove like a new Micra.

Very random usage and not every day. Could be 10 miles one visit and 500 the next. After browsing i quite like the Honda Accord and CRV. Not the cheapest to run, but seem reliable and comfy often with cruise and heated seats, which are both a real boon.
I have had 2 CRVs and had zero issues with either of them. In fact I was looking for another one when the MD of chez JHS talked me into the C Class.

Life’s too short to drive something you don’t like.

I mean, you’re going to be spending quite a lot of time behind the wheel, make sure it’s safe, comfortable and a nice place to be :cool:

I didn’t think your CLS was particularly expensive when you got it? I’d save the £4000 as a slush fund to cover extra fuel and some servicing costs for the CLS and just run that. No additional car tax, MOT costs, servicing costs or insurance - which can offset some of those additional costs.

I had an E55K a few years back with an LPG conversion - was very economical and super reliable, plus a very nice car to drive. Would outrun most stuff on the road and soak up the miles in comfort while fuel costs were equivalent to 40mpg (gas back then was 49.9p per litre!)

I wouldn’t rush your decision - keep your powder dry and give the CLS a go for a few weeks. Nothing to lose? :thumb:

Yeah I wouldn't be happy with a 200k mile car, even a Lexus

It's on 70k miles hence I think that gives it a bit more value. Going close or over 100k is a tipping point in value (imho).

Yes, probably ideal and cheap to service/fix. Usually poverty spec'd though (I know I know, cut your cloth etc etc :))

Yeah I suppose I wanted to be reassured that there is a £4k reliable merc, but sadly that's not the case... bet I still get one though. Am thinking 2.1 L diesel E class maybe. But it must be owned by an old man who smokes a pipe otherwise it's Honda and Toyata agogo (they usually have lower mileage and have cruise and heated seats, which I would sorely miss doing big miles)
We paid less than your budget for Mrs jdrrco's W202 C200. 44,000 miles from new and one owner with full MB service history.

She does 80 miles each day to and from work and it hasn't missed a beat. It is still immaculate and flew through its MOT just today.

You talk about "doing big miles". 20k is not that big at all. I did 40k each year in an Alfa 159 and it ran perfectly.

There are many cars out there that would fit your requirements, both MBs and others. You just need to go into it with your eyes open and be prepared to travel for a good 'un.

How about this?
Auto Trader UK - New and Used Cars For Sale

or this?

Last edited:
We paid less than your budget for Mrs jdrrco's W202 C200. 44,000 miles from new and one owner with full MB service history.

She does 80 miles each day to and from work and it hasn't missed a beat. It is still immaculate and flew through its MOT just today.

You talk about "doing big miles". 20k is not that big at all. I did 40k each year in an Alfa 159 and it ran perfectly.

There are many cars out there that would fit your requirements, both MBs and others. You just need to go into it with your eyes open and be prepared to travel for a good 'un.

How about this?

or this?
40k a year in a 159... sounds glorious. The 159 and Giulia are two of the most beautiful saloons ever designed IMHO

A £4k Lexus could throw you a £4k bill if it has air suspension. Buyer beware.

Like another poster said, life's too short to be driving something you don't like. I've learnt that expensive lesson this past 18 months.

...covered something like 120k miles,

It needed a major failure in the end which was uneconomic to repair so he just scrapped it. For the time he had it, it looked like a new Micra, was as reliable as a new Micra, and almost drove like a new Micra.

Yes I see your logic and agree, but am uncertain if a 200k lexus is 1k from it's demise or 200k ! ☺️

I have had 2 CRVs and had zero issues with either of them. In fact I was looking for another one when the MD of chez JHS talked me into the C Class.

Reassuring to know, thanks for the confirmation. I also quite fancy a suv as never owned one 👍

How about this?

or this?

Yes those ones look very nice, but too far from me unfortunately. But worth considering 👍

Cheers all

40k a year in a 159... sounds glorious. The 159 and Giulia are two of the most beautiful saloons ever designed IMHO

A £4k Lexus could throw you a £4k bill if it has air suspension. Buyer beware.

Like another poster said, life's too short to be driving something you don't like. I've learnt that expensive lesson this past 18 months.

True I suppose, but the CLS is special, too nice to just hammer along motorways at 77 mph though it would be more fun beating most from the lights 😅

True I suppose, but the CLS is special, too nice to just hammer along motorways at 77 mph though it would be more fun beating most from the lights 😅
Mine will have 75k motorway miles on it in 5 years time, hopefully trouble free ones lol

Use it and enjoy. I'd have happily used my Maserati 4200 to go to work as much as possible, if it weren't for the ULEZ (I won't pay that man a penny).

My CLS500SB loves nothing more than hammering along the motorway and it's a wonderful place to sit while it does it. It has done 95,000 miles now and I can't think of anything I'd have rather been in for those miles.

Why make yourself suffer in something less for all those miles? And at the extra expense of buying and running another (lesser) car? As a wise man once said "Why keep a dog and bark?"

I have never understood the logic of not driving a car in order to keep the miles off it. Why would anyone do this? In order that someone else can enjoy the car with a lower mileage after you? If you hate driving it, fair enough, but if you refuse to drive it because you love driving it so much....?

Last edited:

How about this?

or this?

My CLS500SB loves nothing more than hammering along the motorway and it's a wonderful place to sit while it does it. It has done 95,000 miles now and I can't think of anything I'd have rather been in for those miles.

Why make yourself suffer in something less for all those miles? And at the extra expense of buying and running another (lesser) car? As a wise man once said "Why keep a dog and bark?"

I have never understood the logic of not driving a car in order to keep the miles off it. Why would anyone do this? In order that someone else can enjoy the car with a lower mileage after you? If you hate driving it, fair enough, but if you refuse to drive it because you love driving it so much....?

Nice car. The '500' mercs are special imho so I totally understand your point.
But my CLS is used for high days and holidays. Eg I've just spent a few days blatting around the Highlands, a stupendously enjoyable experience, amazing overtaking ability, supercharger whine, exhaust growling, I love it. But driving around to visit sites and clients is going to be dull and slow (it'll be in the busy south), so a 4 pot diesel will be fine (or hybrid) as long as it has cruise control. I might even sell the beloved beast and try something less license risking like a classic car of some sort. Not sure yet.

Nice. Could be a reliable workhorse. But on the other hand it is from the worst era of mercedes quality control and in poverty spec... I know, i am too fussy for my own good!

Even though it's in Scotland, still think this is worth at least some consideration? IMHO it pretty much ticks all your boxes and he has had it a while now so may be open to an offer. Might be someone not too far away from Dundee on this forum who could go kick the tyres etc.? In terms of getting it to you, he says that he would work on delivery so maybe he'd meet in Glasgow (81 miles from Dundee) so you could get the train up?

(Actually, I am retired so if necessary I am happy to collect and drop it to you. I get a third off on train fares too! LOL)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom