£5k limit - which S-Class?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Also, someone mentioned to get a late W140 - does anyone know why? Were problems ironed out later?

Post mid 1996 the wiring loom problem was sorted and the aircon improved. Avoid the 2.8 because they're really slow. Avoid the V12 unless you're prepared to remortgage if it goes wrong. The 3.2 is okay but why settle for okay?
So, you're looking for an S500 LWB, 'P' to 'S' reg, with parking sensors and a verifiable mileage.

like this? - a bit overpriced but might be worth a look to get the ball rolling?

Post mid 1996 the wiring loom problem was sorted and the aircon improved. Avoid the 2.8 because they're really slow. Avoid the V12 unless you're prepared to remortgage if it goes wrong. The 3.2 is okay but why settle for okay?
So, you're looking for an S500 LWB, 'P' to 'S' reg, with parking sensors and a verifiable mileage.

like this? - a bit overpriced but might be worth a look to get the ball rolling?

Looks nice that one, but I agree about the price. £4500 more realistic at this time of year I think

It does look good but too pricey.
How about this one?
Or this on a private sale?

Great information everyone. I've reckon it's narrowed down to a W140 now, LWB if possible as I like the look of these the best.
Now the choice of engine. Scared but intrigued about the aluminium V8. Is it as reliable as the straight 6? Should I go the whole hog and look out for a V12 or is this just daft?
Also, someone mentioned to get a late W140 - does anyone know why? Were problems ironed out later?

I looked into these same questions before I bought my S Class : I reckoned the six cylinders would have been underpowered . I know somone who went through THREE 600's , which were all dogs , before he gave up and got a 500 which he reckons is wonderful ! I also remeber being stopped at the petrol station alongside a 600 - when the owner started it up , after a couple of seconds cranking which sounded like a shovel being scraped along concrete , it sounded like a bag of spanners !

I know the V8 in a W140 is an M119 as opposed to the M117 in my W126 ( the main difference being extra valves and camshafts ) but the V8's enjoy an excellent reputation for reliability and mine is silky smooth .

Just check carefully for rust as this is apparently an issue with some W140's and that all the gadgets work .

It's great to hear wise words! I've contacted the trader about the silver one. Yes, I guess 12 cylinders is 50% more to go wrong.

Derek....'one bad apple don't spoil a whole bunch' my V12 is near silent, and you have mentioned the bag of spanners one before. I do not feel that this is a true reflection of this supurb engine.
I am not biased, I have a 500SL with the V8, and have owned a 380sel, 560 sec, amongst others so I am used to the V8's which are very good. However in what is a true luxury limo you just cannot beat the V12.

Ray

It's great to hear wise words! I've contacted the trader about the silver one. Yes, I guess 12 cylinders is 50% more to go wrong.

The Claremount Cars one has been on the market for about 6 months now

Or, based on my experience a few years ago with them, their approach to sales. Suffice to say that a complete and utter waste of my time on a howling pup of a CL.

There must be a reason why it's been hanging around for sale for ages - I'll see what they have to say...

What was the problem with the earlier W140 wiring loom? I can't seem to find it mentioned on the forum.

I believe the wiring would become brittle and crack.

I love W140s, they seem less "obsolete." Someone I know is trying to convince me into getting a W220. I'm not convinced I want one though :(

MB wiring looms on the M104 engine from 1993 to 1995 were made of enviro-friendly insulation material that wasn't up to the job. I think V8s of the same generation were also affected, and there is an online site that appears to suggest that the problem hit earlier cars too. My 1996 W124 Coupé isn't showing any signs of the problem yet, but that seems to be a rare instance (or, as I keep wondering, perhaps the material was changed on the last of the series to be built). A replacement loom costs around £500 and is said to be simple to install. It is suggested in the E-class owner's bible that wrapping/taping broken sections with a good grade of pliable plastic can be an effective repair.

[411LE Variant -- I'm delighted to hear that it's still running, a rare beast indeed these days. Does that funny auxiliary heater still work?]

Okay, so not such a big problem with the loom - fixable at least. Thanks for that info.
My 411's heater does not work as I have not had the time to sort it - it's all there though.
I also have a VW412 sedan (even rarer) which does have a working heater. This car is my big project though so it's about the only thing which does work!

Well, after all the advice, I finally bought an S500 this weekend! It's a 1993 with 118k miles and only cost £2250. Picking it up next weekend. Needless to say, my wife has insisted that I put the 200TE estate on ebay straight away so I have!

Was it this one?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/

Lot of car for the money. The funny thing is people that will say "wow, you must be doing alright" or "you won the lottery?" They won't believe it's a £2K car :D

Last edited:
yes it was that one - they gave me three months warranty too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom