£940 for lane hogging.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Why let it go to court and then not turn up? Sounds like the driver was a cussed individual in all aspects of his life.

Just the sort who won't shift from the middle lane at any price. :D

Oh no that will put Addison Lee in to bankruptcy then ,as all there drivers only use the out side lane ,,and drive under the speed limit

I wonder what the "£40 victim surcharge" was for?

Just as worrying as this lane hogger is the report that "The driver blocked at least six other vehicles which had to brake and then overtake the Citroen Berlingo van as it trundled along at just 60mph ...". Does that mean at least six people were driving along in the middle lane at over 60mph (with the inside lane empty!) and suddenly spotted the van in front of them so had to brake. Presumably they weren't looking ahead and thus able to select a safe and opportune moment to move to the outside lane before nearly climbing into the back of the van? So does that explain the £40 victim surcharge - extra wear to brake linings on six vehicles?

Quite happy to undertake these idiots. It's no offence to pass slower moving traffic provided you're not exceeeding the speed limit.

Quite happy to undertake these idiots. It's no offence to pass slower moving traffic provided you're not exceeeding the speed limit.

It is an offense to pass on the left. You should move to the middle lane, then to the outer lane, overtake, then move back to middle lane, then back to left lane.

Doing so is not only the correct and legal way, but indicates to the pillock hogging the middle lane the trouble he's causing people.

(you can legally pass on the left if in a slow moving queue)

Quite happy to undertake these idiots. It's no offence to pass slower moving traffic provided you're not exceeding the speed limit.

BUT these idiots wont be looking in their mirrors and may move into the inside lane without seeing you. Nothing to do with the legality of undertaking more to do with avoiding an unnecessary risk in my book

but indicates to the pillock hogging the middle lane the trouble he's causing people.

I don't think they even notice if someone has gone across 2 lanes to overtake them. A vehicle passing on the left however normally gets their attention,right or wrong.

I have just been on a short trip on the motorway and plenty of vehicles hogging the middle lane :wallbash:

It is an offense to pass on the left. You should move to the middle lane, then to the outer lane, overtake, then move back to middle lane, then back to left lane.

Doing so is not only the correct and legal way, but indicates to the pillock hogging the middle lane the trouble he's causing people.

(you can legally pass on the left if in a slow moving queue)

Not illegal per se, but if done at speed and aggressively you could land yourself in trouble for careless/dangerous. A measured approach is fine.

If I'm trundling along at 60 and there's some dullard sitting in the middle lane at 55, there's no way I'm going out of my way to do four lane changes. A slow progressive undertake whilst taking care to keep an eye on the fool in the middle lane isn't going to cause anyone issues.

Not illegal per se, but if done at speed and aggressively you could land yourself in trouble for careless/dangerous. A measured approach is fine.

If I'm trundling along at 60 and there's some dullard sitting in the middle lane at 55, there's no way I'm going out of my way to do four lane changes. A slow progressive undertake whilst taking care to keep an eye on the fool in the middle lane isn't going to cause anyone issues.

It is illegal. It's an undertake. Undertaking is illegal unless you're in crawling traffic.

What you're saying about not causing anyone any issues is probably correct, but I'm not talking about the shoulds and shouldn'ts, just what the highway code says.

I thought for it to be undertake, one has to move to the left first? Otherwise it is not undertaking, just passing on the left?

It may be different in other parts of the country , but hereabouts handheld mobile phone use is not nearly as prevalent as it used to be : I used to see people with the things on more or less every journey , now it is rare - maybe once or twice a month . To my mind that is a significant reduction , and I do cover 500-1000 miles per week all over Scotland , so on the road plenty to see such things .

We have the distribution depot for Tesco not a mile from our house and I'm frequently on that road. Between Tesco's gate and the M8 there is a roundabout and it's common to see the drivers of their artics one-handing it round this roundabout while (presumably) phoning home.

We have the distribution depot for Tesco not a mile from our house and I'm frequently on that road. Between Tesco's gate and the M8 there is a roundabout and it's common to see the drivers of their artics one-handing it round this roundabout while (presumably) phoning home.

I'd hazard a guess they aren't locals then and just bringing their bad habits with them from whence they came :doh:

And I suppose you lot are all angels, I know I'm not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom