18inch Alloys What Is Going To Happen?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
just been on euro car parts site
and tryed both my c180 plates and my c230k
and acording to eurocarparts they both have the same springs
:dk:

just been on euro car parts site
and tryed both my c180 plates and my c230k
and acording to eurocarparts they both have the same springs
:dk:

thats not conclusive, eurocar parts are awful at this. I very rarely order online (unless its something really obvious) I favour going in with old part to double check. They seem particulary bad with Citroen and Pug disc's and pad's from the hotter models. I wouldnt be surprised if they have this wrong.

Hi,
You would never get the exact spring from Euros, they are just generic parts.
The fundamental difference between Elegance and a Sport model is the lower suspension.
If you wanted exactly the right spring it need to be sourced from a MB dealer.
There not to bad price wise either, my AMG springs were £50 each, IIRC Euro's are about £40ish. which I don,t think is to bad to ensure correct spec and have original parts.

Hi,
You would never get the exact spring from Euros, they are just generic parts.
The fundamental difference between Elegance and a Sport model is the lower suspension.
If you wanted exactly the right spring it need to be sourced from a MB dealer.
There not to bad price wise either, my AMG springs were £50 each, IIRC Euro's are about £40ish. which I don,t think is to bad to ensure correct spec and have original parts.

I also believe stiffer shocks. The ride height is also adjusted by the different thickness of rubber buffer pads, identified by the number of 'nibs'.

Hi ,fitted same size and type of tyres 2 months ago, initially thought ride more controlled but firmer,when tyres bedded in (approx 300miles )noticeably firmer,slightly uncomfortable in certain conditions but all forgiven for looks,mine on staggered set (9" rear,8" fronts) fill arches to perfection especially with Avangarde ride height,only drawback so far ,almost total lack of traction during recent snow(embarrassing!!!)
Cheers ......Paul

Lack of traction in snow not really fault of wheel size...fit winter tyres on those rims (see Mytyres site if you having trouble sourcing them) and you will see a big difference. Have 255/35/18 winter tyres on rear of CLK 500 and have good traction in the snow.

How will I know they have fitted the wrong springs for sure
The fact that it says "sport" on the wings, had the carbon trim and says sport on the V5 (actually does it?) and looks it's on stilts. Also meausre the wheel centre to arch heights, compare with ours, and challenge them to find another sport model that is that high. Too me it even looks high for and elegance spec.

There's an elegance near us with 18in rims - can't help but laugh every time I see it :D

Had a go at the mechanics, but prior to that I called KMS the parts supplier and asked him for the springs for my car...turned out the supplier dosent stock them.... one nil to me.

Then asked the workshop about it and told him KMS didnt have the right parts in stock so what has been done, in the end he came out with the fact that they had new springs in stock but they where from a c180 but that they should fit etc.

I told him to simply look at my car and tell me if it looked like any sports model he had seen, in the end he conceeded that something was wrong and that I should bring it back on monday.

My concern now is his method of rectification, if I take it back I think they will just cut the springs or put on some second hand springs, I do not want this.

I am not prepared to buy in new springs from the dealership as I think the mecahnics should foot the bill. I did check with Merc in Birmingham and they have the springs for about £50 each.

Question also arises should I change the front springs as well or just the back?

How should I approach the matter of the new springs, should I buy them and then ask for the money back from the mechanics, or should I ask them to buy it from merc and show me the invoice prior to touching the car.

Also ive noticed that the passenger side rear wheel arc has more of a gap then the driver side.

I wish I had just taken it to merc in the first place now at least they would have known how many pads/nibs etc to put onto the car and get it looking just right. Any ideas on how to get out of this mess and get the car put right would be much appreaciated.

Khalid

Just taken a tape measure to each corner and this is what it reads:

Driver Side:

Front: 35.5cm
Back: 36cm

Passenger Side:

Front: 35.5cm
Back: 39cm

Does anyone have a totaly standard sport that can give me the readings from there car.

Im pretty sure the front is at the ride height it should be (but maybe wrong!) but the back is definatley wrong.

Khalid

Why not offer to pay the difference between the KMS springs and the proper MB ones, then they can keep/return the unsuitable KMS springs and do whatever they like with them.

£50 each for the correct, new MB springs sounds reasonable to me :)

Will

I wish I could help as I recently sold my '99 C230 Kompressor Sport (with 19's fitted!) and previously had a '96 C230 Kompressor Sport with 18's fitted. No gap as large as this! My later one had Eibach springs which may or may not have made a difference (unsure if they had lowered the car further from sport height), but there was hardly a one finger gap between arch/tyre, virtually nothing.

Great. Just think of the smile ....... driving and looking at your car.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom