190E heater matrix

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bazza

Car
S211 280CDi
Anybody here know the easiest way to replace a matrix in the 190?
Haynes reckon the dash needs to come out(don't have the time right now, plus if the dash is coming out, I would like to replace it with a black one and I haven't found a good one yet)
I know the evaporator for a 190 with a/c can be changed from under the bonnet.
Looking at the crappy diagram in the Haynes, it looks like the matrix might even be sitting in FRONT of the heater. i.e. just behind the heater controls. If so, can I just remove the heater/stereo part of the dash?

Any help would be appreciated

Bazza

bazza,

Just dashed out to look at my scrapped 190, I do think the dash has to be removed. From the engine compartment looking under the wiper mech's there seems to me a pipe traveling through the bulkhead. Not quite sure if it is part of the water return from the heater. By the way I have a black dash if you want it.

Cheers Ian!!

What nick is your dash in? and how much?

Bazza

PS:I passed a smashed W124 being towed today with a full grey leather interior, if I find it in a local breakers I'll let you know

will photo it tomorrow for you and its quite good, dirty as you would expect but I dont think there are any blemishes. As for price? whatever you think its worth.

*edit* do you want the matrix too and what about the instument panel?

Last edited:
Matrix is £48 from ECP, so if it's that much trouble, I'll stick in a new one.

Does the cluster have one of those economy gauges?(they stopped putting them on in 1990). I know they aren't much kop, but can't stand not having something. It probably won't have an outside temp display, so I won't ask about that

As far as price goes, how much is a 190 dash worth?
I have no idea

Bazza

Originally posted by bazza

Does the cluster have one of those economy gauges It probably won't have an outside temp display, so I won't ask about that

Bazza

Yes it has the econo gauge and no it doesnt have outside temp gauge

Originally posted by bazza

As far as price goes, how much is a 190 dash worth?
I have no idea

Bazza

Me neither, I wonder if someone from the forum could advise here?

Bazza, here are the promised pics. Hope they answer your questions

Ian

dash1.jpg
dash2.jpg

dash3.jpg

Looks OK Ian,

Are the underdash pieces OK as well?

Let me know a price for the dash complete inc. cluster and a price without the cluster

Also what about removal and picking up?

I can come and remove if thats OK with yourself

Bazza

Hello
Many years ago I had a problem with a leaking matrix and after discovering how big a job it was I decided to try a radweld the exact make I will find out for you .My 190 dose not use any water , and that was four years ago.

Hello
Many years ago I had a problem with a leaking matrix and after discovering how big a job it was I decided to try a radweld the exact make I will find out for you .My 190 dose not use any water , and that was four years ago.
Hello, I know this is an old post but I have a leak in my water system and would like to try radweld. I can see one drip coming from the pipe under the dash on the passenger side on my J reg 190E. Do you have the name of the stuff you used?

Thank you

I would strongly advise against using K-seal or similar.

Horrible stuff. A brand new heater matrix is only £20 or so from the likes of ECP - why risk further damage by cutting corners?

The Haynes manual is correct - the dash has to come out - I know because I've done it .

I got the Nissens matrix from ECP and it was fine .

I did the job in a day , following the instructions in the Haynes manual step by step . The matrix is behind the dash and no way to avoid removing it . Nothing particularly difficult - just a long job because of the amount to dismantle/reassemble .

Hello, I know this is an old post but I have a leak in my water system and would like to try radweld. I can see one drip coming from the pipe under the dash on the passenger side on my J reg 190E. Do you have the name of the stuff you used?

Thank you

That was exactly where my leaking matrix on my 190 dripped as well .

I would or similar.

Horrible stuff. A brand new heater matrix is only £20 or so from the likes of ECP - why risk further damage by cutting corners?

Will have you ever used K-Seal?

Reason I ask is any time it comes up you tell people not to use it so I'm assuming you've had a nightmare experience with it, right?

So, you've still not used it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom