• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

1991 W126 500SE - creaking noise from front

Roygarth

Car
1983 W123 230E
I'm noticing a pronounced squeaking/creaking noise when slowly manouevering, going over bumps etc...is it the springs or....?
Thanks
Piers

Could be bushes, springs or shock absorbers etc. When the last time any suspension bits were changed?

At this time of year you do tend to get creaks from rubber bushes... My W123 loves to do this every year.

It might be a sign that some of the ball joint/s on the front hub/s /knuckle are worn. The upper is part of the arm but the lower is replaceable. Worth checking out since the consequences of failure can be severe. Êàòàëîã
You can do a quick visual check yourself to check for any damage or leaks from the ball joint flexible rubber boots but this is only one indication of the potential problem.

Last edited:
It might be a sign that some of the ball joint/s on the front hub/s /knuckle are worn. The upper is part of the arm but the lower is replaceable. Worth checking out since the consequences of failure can be severe. Êàòàëîã
You can do a quick visual check yourself to check for any damage or leaks from the ball joint flexible rubber boots but this is only one indication of the potential problem.

Spot on, I'd get it checked as a lower ball joint can be expensive if it breaks. :eek:

Spot on, I'd get it checked as a lower ball joint can be expensive if it breaks. :eek:

Mechanic said the lower ball joint was dry and therefore noisy. He has injected something (grease?) into it and now sound has largely gone.

He said ball/joint did not need replacing.

Should I be worried?

Thanks
Piers

As far as I know these ball joints are "sealed for life" with a lubricant when they are manufactured unlike older design ball joints which designed to be regreased via a grease nipple. Creaking or squeaking indicates the grease has escaped and this may have allowed grit into the ball joint. Although the ball joint may not be badly worn at present its a sign its reaching the end of its useful life. Since its a safety critical item I would recommend replacement.

I agree - I've seen a few ball joints that were just 'noisy' or creaking, that when removed were little more than balls of rust waiting to crumble :eek:

A safety critical item IMHO - better safe than sorry, I'd get them replaced :)

Will

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom