2 year old C Class Coupe paint problem!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The sills are plastic, same as bumpers.

The wings are definitely not the same material as the rest of the car, as my pressure washer sounds different when it gets to them, very tinny.

I was told by MB Manchester that the front wings are not steel so they are never affected.

They are aluminium I believe, and my R172 had all metal parts taken back to metal and fully re-sprayed when it was done.
Solid roof panel was also replaced with a 'glass' one as well after the re-spray - by the MB garage on return from bodywork company :thumb:

Last edited:
My 2012 c63 has same problem, will be covered under warranty or not?

Thanks in advance

Yes it will

Thanks, spoke to Brentford mb they said come between Mon Fri and we will give you an estimate.

I hope they not planning on charging me.

My 57 plate was covered under warranty no questions asked. So I'm sure your 2012 will be.

They might not be aware of what's going on with the red ones at the minute, all getting resprays under warranty...

I have 507 stripes aftermarket fitted will that be OK or shall I remove them.

I'd leave them on. You're allowed to stick stuff to your car. That won't void the warranty.

What might, is you peeling them off, peeling all the lacquer off. They could then argue you've done it.

Leave them on, they'll send the warranty claim off, when it's approved, those stickers are the bodyshop's problem. They'll likely tell you you're going to loose them, as you can't reapply them.

Hi ALL, new to the forum.

I too have a problem with my Fire Opal Red C Class Coupe.

Brought the car from Mercedes Loughton just over a year ago, and ever since, the car has been regularly in the garage for something.

About 3-4 months roughly after purchasing the car, I too have noticed the bobbly effect on my boot and bonnet. At the time I hadn’t thought to look on the internet as I just thought it was an isolated thing with my car.

Anyway after 9 months FINALLY things moved and my car was checked at the Solihull dealership. The chap who inspected the car was from the body shop and he said its a common issue with these, and after him inspecting it he said he could find at least a couple of spots on each panel with the boot the worst.

He’s said to me that the job is so in-depth that it would take 3 months for my car to be throughly sorted of the issue!!

I don’t want to bore you all, but I’ve had various problems with the car, wheels, mechanical etc.. and now the paintwork! Quite simply I’ve had enough of this car, I’ve got no faith what so ever. After reading some right horror stories about the issue coming back I’m not looking forward to future with the car.

What I’d like to know from you guys, has anybody requested their money back? Or reached a conclusion other than a respray?

As it stands now, It’s not confirmed mind, but it looks and sounds like Mercedes aren’t shying away from a respray… but I don’t want this.

I’ve got no expirence in this type of matter, however the conclusion I’m reaching in my head is I should be granted a refund or some form of compensation. I believe that Mercedes as the manufacture was aware that the car had the issue or was aware that it potentially had the issue at time of purchase and therefor it should never have been sold to me without me made aware.

I'm also starting to think, the more coverage this issue gets the less people are going to want the red coloured Mercedes, which means all our lovely cars will plummet in value over say a silver or black one.

I’ve had a read through the Sale of Goods Act and Consumer Rights Act and that seems to echoing what I’m saying

Any advise on this, genially would be appreciated.

Interesting post guys-I was doing a job at work for a guy who hasda 61 plate C180 coupe in Fire Opal Red on his drive and stating chatting about Mercs in general to him and mentioned this problem. Upon closer inspection his roof was covered in these micro blisters (I didn't check the rest of the car)
Anyway, fast forward two weeks, and the guy rings me to thank me for telling him about this. He said he has been to the dealer and MB have agreed to re-paint the entire car FOC. He told me they said due to an issue with the primer on the production line, it will need a bare metal re-paint.......Just doing my bit to help MB owners whilst at work :D

Brought the car from Mercedes Loughton just over a year ago, and ever since, the car has been regularly in the garage for something.

About 3-4 months roughly after purchasing the car, I too have noticed the bobbly effect on my boot and bonnet. At the time I hadn’t thought to look on the internet as I just thought it was an isolated thing with my car.

Anyway after 9 months FINALLY things moved and my car was checked at the Solihull dealership. The chap who inspected the car was from the body shop and he said its a common issue with these, and after him inspecting it he said he could find at least a couple of spots on each panel with the boot the worst.

He’s said to me that the job is so in-depth that it would take 3 months for my car to be throughly sorted of the issue!!

I don’t want to bore you all, but I’ve had various problems with the car, wheels, mechanical etc.. and now the paintwork! Quite simply I’ve had enough of this car, I’ve got no faith what so ever. After reading some right horror stories about the issue coming back I’m not looking forward to future with the car.

What I’d like to know from you guys, has anybody requested their money back? Or reached a conclusion other than a respray?

As it stands now, It’s not confirmed mind, but it looks and sounds like Mercedes aren’t shying away from a respray… but I don’t want this.

I’ve got no expirence in this type of matter, however the conclusion I’m reaching in my head is I should be granted a refund or some form of compensation. I believe that Mercedes as the manufacture was aware that the car had the issue or was aware that it potentially had the issue at time of purchase and therefor it should never have been sold to me without me made aware.

I'm also starting to think, the more coverage this issue gets the less people are going to want the red coloured Mercedes, which means all our lovely cars will plummet in value over say a silver or black one.

I’ve had a read through the Sale of Goods Act and Consumer Rights Act and that seems to echoing what I’m saying

3 months sounds a little excessive as I've been told mine should take 1 month and its an e class coupe so same number of doors etc to repaint as yours.

Seeing as you've had the car for over a year, realistically don't think much will be done regarding compensation/refund but you're welcome to try the dealership or customer services. Whilst the car is being repainted you should be given a courtesy car to minimise inconvenience...

Is there a problem with all fire opal red paint??
I've been toying with idea of the purchase of a C63 in this colour - 2013 year saloon

Yes, catch up lol

They're sorting it though, so I see it as a good thing as you get a brand new 2016 paint job that doesn't have the orange peel effect you normally get from the factory these days. :D

Is there a problem with all fire opal red paint??
I've been toying with idea of the purchase of a C63 in this colour - 2013 year saloon
Seems c class & SLK's affected more than others.
First noticed it on mine after a thorough clean & wax and various light conditions revealed the micro blistering on different panels. Only seemed to affect metal panels not plastic bumpers, etc.
Check carefully! I personally would avoid red of this era.

Shaun - do it

the nicest colour in a C63 (in my opinion)

As above, makes a stand out car, stand out even more.

.. and imagine how flash it'll look with a brand new paint job? :p

Hi Ralph,
If you have the patience and the documentary evidence to support your grievances, I'm sure eventually you and MB UK will come to a resolution. I wish you the best of luck with it all. If you search on here, there is a guy with a similar outcome. See if you can get in contact with him for advice and support?

Took my c63 to Guildford, chap said they have done about 12-15 red mercs now ! mine is booked in for 2nd to be sent to body to get paint checked over to see if it has been previously painted which it hasnt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom