• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

2 years warranty if you pick up from...

splang

MB Enthusiast
Car
W212 E250 Avantgarde
Is it true that if you pick up your car from Germany then you only have a 2 year warranty and not a 3 year warranty?

This is what my dealer told me ?

Please?

Steve

I presume you are talking about personal collection from Stuttgart, if so your dealer is talking a load of old pony.
If however you are buying the car from Germany through a broker etc then it may be different.

yes, the personal collection -- so , the dealer was lying to me ... I bought the car about 3 months ago now, and i enquired about collecting it but was told of the warranty position - he said 2 years so i decided not to take it...
I am now extremely annoyed and i feel cheated... My car was made in south africa but if i did a personal collection would it then have been made in germany?
In fact, i am furious !

splang said:
yes, the personal collection -- so , the dealer was lying to me ... I bought the car about 3 months ago now, and i enquired about collecting it but was told of the warranty position - he said 2 years so i decided not to take it...
I am now extremely annoyed and i feel cheated... My car was made in south africa but if i did a personal collection would it then have been made in germany?
In fact, i am furious !

Splang, they were lying to you. It is three years and as I undertsand it the saloon 203 is finished off in Germany but the main constrution is done in SA. When you say 'new one at cost' in your 1st thread, what do you mean?

at no profit to themselves.... indeed i feel i should be compensated because i would have liked to have picked up the car myself!
What do you think i should do?

Right, I think I follow what you mean now :o . If they are going to give you a new one at 'cost' then give you what you paid for yours, less depreciation of course, then you will have a simple maths/financial or, 'can I live with what I have' situation. If the problems you have are so, shall we say, intense then I would imagine they will always blight your enjoyment. Even if they are fixed they will always be at the back of your mind and you will 'expect' them to
re-appear. I had this same situation with mine and I thought my offer was acceptable to me but they fixed the problem. It cannot reccur by the way as it was steering. All in all?, I'd accept the offer and change it, that my advice.

Regards, Dave.

Well, there we go... phoned up mb customer services who then contacted the dealership on my behalf. The saleman has 'no recollection of saying that personal collections only have 2 years warranty' .. <sigh>
What a load of rubbish... but alas it is now my word against his....
I know why he did say it i think - because he wanted me to have one of the older w203 not the brand new model coming out because then i would have waited to buy...

Well, what to do...

splang said:
but alas it is now my word against his....
I know why he did say it i think - because he wanted me to have one of the older w203 not the brand new model coming out because then i would have waited to buy...

Well, what to do...

Splang, I wouldnt normally 'offer' the advice that you are seeking but having been in a similar situation I think I can comment. I'd say cut your losses if you are anything other than 100% happy, take the exchange (you get a facelift model?), and start to enjoy your new, 'new' car. The only residual problem you will have is the salesman who you dealt with. If he has been accused of lying to you, you may not have been the first?. Hope he moves on I suppose as the relationship is now somewhat lacking in trust. It would be unfair to dismiss the dealer though as they have done the right thing in offering you the exchange. Err, i've gone round the houses so, 'take the exchange' its the right thing to do.

EU Law was changed so that new car personal imports - those brought direct from Europe (not via the UK, although maybe via a broker) - have 2 yrs warranty. It used to be 1 year.

All cars purchased new via UK Dealers, regardless of where you collect it from, have a three year warranty.

I used to be an import broker, hence thats why I know !!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom