2010 C250 CDI oil change

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

m500dpp

Car
C250 CDi
When I started motoring you felt good if you put some Duckhams 20/50 in your car how things have changed!!!

Anyway about to do an oil and filter change car has covered 8000miles and 12 months since the last change, not sure if my 2010 has a DPF, (introd in 2011 my?) but I suspect the oil is the same. I want to use a decent oil and have narrowed down to either shell helix or Castrol Edge (and the correct version of each MB229.51, so complex even choosing the right oil these days!). so:

- Any preference or definate recommendations? Other brands?
- 5w 30 or 0w 30? (Car has done only 31500 miles if that makes a difference)

I will be using a vacuum pump extractor and my drive has an upward slope so should make the oil gravitate to the dipstick area, anything else that I can do to extract as much oil as possible? (will be draining the oil filter housing as well)

Sorry if this is a repeat of what must be a regular topic, but I do want to look after the car.......any help appreciated!

Last edited:
I want to use a decent oil and have narrowed down to either shell helix or Castrol Edge (and the correct version of each MB229.51, so complex even choosing the right oil these days!). so:

Some oil's only just meet the spec required whereas other far exceed it, difficult bit is finding out which ones are which, and some sell because of their name.

I'd go for Shell, Motul or Millers..

When I started motoring you felt good if you put some Duckhams 20/50 in your car how things have changed!!!

Anyway about to do an oil and filter change car has covered 8000miles and 12 months since the last change, not sure if my 2010 has a DPF, (introd in 2011 my?) but I suspect the oil is the same. I want to use a decent oil and have narrowed down to either shell helix or Castrol Edge (and the correct version of each MB229.51, so complex even choosing the right oil these days!). so:

- 5w 30 or 0w 30? (Car has done only 31500 miles if that makes a difference)

I remember Q20/50 well - it was bright green and cost about £1 for a gallon!

This is my general purpose, come in handy solution for Mercedes-Benz lubricants and fluids! I consult them often and find it useful to have them all in one place.

As links are embedded I hope that all the information should be bang up to date.

This is the full list of Mercedes-Benz Specifications for Operating Fluids.

Those concerning ENGINE OILS are here.

PETROL’ owners will probably seek the MB229.5 approved list,

whilst many owners of DIESELS will want to refer to the MB229.51 approved list.

Lubricants and fluids for GEARS, TRANSMISSIONS and PSF/ATFs are listed here.

Although it is from a particular manufacturer (the one not too far from Stuttgart) I find this "Oil Chooser" a handy source of information.

All good wishes, lim

Many thanks all have bought from our sponsor 10 litres of Shell Helix Utra Professional AM-L............and a Mahl Filter, will do the oil change as soon as we get some decent weather!!!!

Get yourself a Pela suction pump. Just stick the pipe down the dipstick hole, pump up the vacuum, hey presto the oil is sucked out, just change the filter and away you go

Thanks Eddie, I went halves with my neighbour on a Sealey pump we both got fed up with grovelling underneath with sump plugs and oil up our sleeves!!!!

As I said my drive is slightly uphill and leaning over towards the dipstick placement so I reckon I will get most of it out - few garages bother with sump plugs these days the suction pumps are a far better idea......also bought the correct tool from Halfords. Unless its a company car I really dont see why anyone uses a dealer for a routine service these days..........

Del that oil is half what I paid - damn!!!!

Only concern with that pump is that the flow rate is stated at .2 L /minute, so 30 minutes to drain the oil?

I have this vac pump:

Sealey

Del that oil is half what I paid - damn!!!!

Only concern with that pump is that the flow rate is stated at .2 L /minute, so 30 minutes to drain the oil?

I have this vac pump:

Sealey

I use one of these:

TRANSFER PUMP Extractor OIL Fluid DIESEL 12V ELECTRIC MOTORBIKE 60W Siphon car | eBay

12v extractor pump, same method, but much quicker, and means I can pump straight into the final container. A lot of my cars have 7 + litre sump capacities as well.

Takes 10 minutes or so. I do the filter whilst its sucking the oil out.

I've just done a vacuum extraction oil change on a W204 and from a measurement of what came out and what I needed to add to reach the same mark on the dipstick I was very confident that the vast majority of it came out. The car was on a very slight upward slope.

I've been changing oil for over 40 years and this was my first go at vacuum extraction so I was apprehensive about it's effectiveness. All I can say is I won't be going back to crawling under the car.

If you looked at Duckams Q20/50 in a certain light the green tint disappeared. It must have been a good marketing ploy as so many of us bought it.

I've been changing oil for over 40 years and this was my first go at vacuum extraction so I was apprehensive about it's effectiveness. All I can say is I won't be going back to crawling under the car.

Drop you fresh new oil out tomorrow into a clean tin and take a look..:thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom