208 convertibles, experiences please?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LeighW

Car
'06 Jaguar XJ, '00 Obsidian black CLK320 Avantgarde, '05 Mitsi Colt, '96 GMC Safari
I'm just thinking out loud here really...

I've had my CLK320 for nearly three years now. It's a great car, (touches wood...) and I still love the shape, but am starting to get itchy feet. :rolleyes:

I quite like the idea of a soft top, and I've always wanted a V8, so I'm thinking maybe a CLK430 convertible.

After a brief search on the Autotrader site, I spotted a rather nice looking X plate Avantgarde in black (just the spec I want :cool: ), with only 45k on the clock. The price is £10495, which seems pretty good. I'm not overly scared about the fuel/running costs, as I only do between four and five thousand miles per year, and I'm good friends with the service manager at my MB dealer, which helps.

Is there anything other than the usual CLK problems to watch out for, anything with the V8 to worry about? I've heard that the convertible doesn't suffer the same rust issues as the coupe, as it's built by Karmann (sp?)? Is this true, or is it painted by MB? I don't remember anyone on here complaining of rust on convertible CLKs, but I may be wrong.

Any input appreciated. :)

Hi mate

We have a 430 CLK coupe and a 320 cabrio , the 430 is the one to go for ...

Sounds lovely , goes like stink , and will still turn in 27 mpg on the motorway.

We haven't had any problems with ours other than the normal CLK specific things , sticking front seat , fuse in boot went , meaning we couldn't get into the boot ..

The cabrios are about 200kg heavier than the coupes .

Check the hood works , and doesn't stop and need resetting halfway through , as new pumps are expensive. The hoods sieze up because people don't open them for 6 months of the year ( winter ) and they just stop working. I will be cycling mine once a week in the winter.

Our 430 only has 35k miles on it , so just about run in , nothing has manifested itself so far . Plug changes are expensive ( 16 plugs )..

A good car all round.

Hi,

Why not push the boat out and get a 55, the 209 is so much grief with all of its problems continuosly going on.

The 208 is bulletproof, just dont lock your keys in the boot. It can easily be done and they are very hard to break in to.

Definately the 208 430 or 55. The v8 is prety much the same in both.

Great cars, no rust problems on mine (yet), 430 great V8 rumble:D , but the 320 is great as well.

Enjoy, now is probably a good time to buy one at the end of the summer.

Definately the 208 430 or 55. The v8 is prety much the same in both.

Not forgetting of course the extra 80 odd horses under the bonnet of the '55 ;)

Hi,

Why not push the boat out and get a 55...

I hear what you're saying, but the 55 convertibles are rare, more expensive, and come with much higher repair and insurance costs. :)

I've had my X reg CLK 320 Cab for 5 days now and I still can't stop smiling :-D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom