280SE poor running, advice...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dalbuie

Car
W126 280SE
Hi,

My 280SE has been a great runner and starter over the past few years and has only ever required servicing (by me) once a year. Over the festive period however I was out for a drive and when I took a sharp right hand bend (with about a 1/4 tank of fuel) the car started to cut out and 2 minutes later died. It would start and run for a few seconds but then die again.

I got my son to come along with a gallon of fuel as I suspected a fuel issue given the symptoms and with another gallon put in and a few tries starting I got it home.

I decided to change the fuel filter (something I hadn't done at the last service due to having a full tank) and although it's now starting and running quite well (did a 20 mile run at the weekend) everything isn't quite as it should be.

1. When cold it takes a bit of cranking to start and feels like it's not firing on all cylinders
2. When warmed up and running and ticking over in D the revs tend to drop and then recover every 5 seconds or so. Ticks over fine in N and starts easily when warm.

So after my long story above I wondered what order I should check things in and also what manual is best for the 6 cyl engine:

Mercedes W123 Owners Workshop Manual 1976-1986 | eBay

or

Mercedes 250 280 280CE W123 Series 1976-1984 Haynes Manual 0677 NEW | eBay

Thanks in advance...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom