300-24, spark plugs fouling with soot

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Here's a link to for you to better understand how the ke jetronic system works.http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/engine/86357-bosch-ke-jetronic-info.html

The fuel accumulator also acts as a damper, to remove pulses from the fuel pumps getting upstream to the metering head. Removing it will have a negative affect on the internals of the system.

the lines wernt broken into, all the original lines were removed completley and new lines fitted front to back
I was thinking exactly that with my fpr, i will fit it into the supply feed and set to 5 bar and see what happens
As far as whether it had to be running rough to be fiddled with, the answer would be no, from what i saw they were happy to fiddle with anything, even more so if they didnt understand it. And its not like i would be told, pretty much everything i was told seems to be lies, even down to the location of the fuel pumps lol.

As far as whether it had to be running rough to be fiddled with, the answer would be no, from what i saw they were happy to fiddle with anything, even more so if they didnt understand it.

A bad habit many boys get into....

A bad habit many boys get into....

and boys is the word, serves me right i suppose

I put the fpr in the supply side and of course lol, i can only increase the pressure, the least it will run fully open is 6 and a half bar.

i am guessing this is relevant, when it starts from cold it seems ok, no smoke and revs clean even tho the plugs are still filthy from last time.. tomorrow i will get the cold start injector out

ok, Today i have given the mixture screw a bit of anti-clockwise, and taken it for a drive. i stopped and fiddled a few times, but she started running quite well. so i came home and pulled the plugs, these hadnt been cleaned since the last messing about with it, so would of started very sooty. Upon inspection, thy were still very sooty, but now a brown tinge was around the electrodes. Cleaned the plugs again, refitted and left on idle for half an hour or so, no more black smoke, starting to get fuel pushing through the exhaust now and the tip is starting to go a bit grey. Even when fully warmed she revs cleanly. I have pulled the plugs again and they are normal.

Now, my concern is probably what everybody is probably already thinking, that i may be masking another problem by trying to adjust it out with compensation elsewhere? I really dont know.

How about this for another thought, obviously i have been doing a lot of reading on the k jet since this started. One thing i noticed is that the fuel tank is sealed, which is why you often get a hiss on removal of the fuel cap. My nice racey fuel cell, has a vent right on top of it. when i put my finger over it, the engine changes note quite a bit. Is this likely to have any affect?

when i put my finger over it, the engine changes note quite a bit. Is this likely to have any affect?

Yes - you will be able to play it like a flute! James Galway - eat your heart out...

ok, Today i have given the mixture screw a bit of anti-clockwise, and taken it for a drive. i stopped and fiddled a few times, but she started running quite well. so i came home and pulled the plugs, these hadnt been cleaned since the last messing about with it, so would of started very sooty. Upon inspection, thy were still very sooty, but now a brown tinge was around the electrodes. Cleaned the plugs again, refitted and left on idle for half an hour or so, no more black smoke, starting to get fuel pushing through the exhaust now and the tip is starting to go a bit grey. Even when fully warmed she revs cleanly. I have pulled the plugs again and they are normal.

Getting there....

Now, my concern is probably what everybody is probably already thinking, that i may be masking another problem by trying to adjust it out with compensation elsewhere? I really dont know.

But still between a rock and a hard place. Unless you can extract a genuine confession from your merry band of tinkerers that they adjusted the unit then possibly you are adjusting around the problem. It's tempting to say just run it and see what happens but if there is an underlying problem that then cures itself (eg dirt) then it will be running weak (after adjustment) - with potentially catastrophic consequences. (Unless the Lambda can adjust sufficiently and quickly enough?)

ok, Today i have given the mixture screw a bit of anti-clockwise,

This is called the "guess work" mixture setting, dont do that.

"Now, my concern is probably what everybody is probably already thinking, that i may be masking another problem by trying to adjust it out with compensation elsewhere?"

You are correct mate

I assume you are planning to take the beast to a couple of drift days this summer.

You need to do the following to ensure all is well with the beast

1. fit the accumulator back on
2. fit the fuel filter back on (if removed)
3. you must run 2 fuel pumps (i believe thats the set you have now)
4. go to ebay and start looking for an AFR gauge kit, i recommend Innovate motorsport, affordable second hand ones pop up from time to time or buy a new one, its worth it and your fuel distributor/engine will love you for a very, very long time.

Here's some images to get you moist

Mazza

ok, theres someone local to me breaking a 300ce i will go and see him later hopefully and buy the fuel pump cradle from him, with the accumulator etc, fit this and see what happens

nice one

do try and get an AFR gauge mate

2 things you should have if you are racing/drifting with ke jet, a permanent fuel pressure gauge and an AFR gauge, total control over the ke jet.

good luck

mazza

ok,i have an accumulator. i cant buy the ce untill tomorrow night, i decided to buy whole car and break it, so if anyone wants black leather for a coupe or an amg rear duck tail....anyway i have reffited original accumulaor, its just tee'd into the supply line. There is no difference at all to the car it seems, i have put the mixture back where it was. seems to be ok for about 5 minutes of driving and then the lumpyness and black smoke reurn and the cat gets so hot it is setting fire to the underseal. i am at the end of my tether, maybe i should break this one too...

ok,i have an accumulator. i cant buy the ce untill tomorrow night, i decided to buy whole car and break it, so if anyone wants black leather for a coupe or an amg rear duck tail....anyway i have reffited original accumulaor, its just tee'd into the supply line. There is no difference at all to the car it seems, i have put the mixture back where it was. seems to be ok for about 5 minutes of driving and then the lumpyness and black smoke reurn and the cat gets so hot it is setting fire to the underseal. i am at the end of my tether, maybe i should break this one too...

dont rush into anything mate

if the engine is in good condition and there are no mechanical problems, you should keep it.

easy fix, change the fuel distributor, its very possible that something was damaged during the running without some of the parts required by the KE Jet.

dont rush into anything mate

if the engine is in good condition and there are no mechanical problems, you should keep it.

easy fix, change the fuel distributor, its very possible that something was damaged during the running without some of the parts required by the KE Jet.

I havnt had it on track since december, i am about to miss another Lydden hill drift day on Saturday coming. I cant see a fuel distributer being easy to find if it is specific to a 300-24 or cheap, not if its anything like the ezl i had to buy a short while ago. I really dont know how much money i can keep throwing at it. I just want to be back out skidding i guess.

10858392_563481980419798_8815375148046918183_n_zpskea2rqpe.jpg
IMG_20150201_162441_zpst8u9d4ym.jpg
IMG_20150520_165139_zpsjrbmllft.jpg
IMG_20150111_115145_zpsaqulij6z.jpg

even tho i skid it, its not a shed. but not being able to use it is quite frustrating. with the changes i have made there is no value in it now apart from in parts.poor old thing

even tho i skid it, its not a shed. but not being able to use it is quite frustrating. with the changes i have made there is no value in it now apart from in parts.poor old thing

she's a keeper

you can probably get a 300-24v fuel meter for under 50.00

I'v seen a few going for that price

i will keep an eye out, might even have one in the shed

just make sure you run the fuel system with all of its components

i will check the shed

she's a keeper

you can probably get a 300-24v fuel meter for under 50.00

I'v seen a few going for that price

i will keep an eye out, might even have one in the shed

just make sure you run the fuel system with all of its components

i will check the shed

thanks man, that would be awesome!

I have bought a 1992 300 ce 12v, its actually quite a nice car, the interior is perfect black leather, with the amg style wood steering wheel and gear selector, electric blind. Amg duck tail and the 15 inch little amg wheels. I am really wondering if i should throw my engine and box in that and be done with it, the fuel tank is in a better position and the its all original and in place of course. either way i guess i will be breaking one of them

ok, problem is resolved. i pulled the fuel pumps off the ce to fit to mine. When i took mine apart i found something quite odd. I have always found it strange how noisy the pumps were, bearing in mind when i only had one, and it was in the car with me it was pretty quiet. now they are underneath i could hear them even more. where the two pumps were piped in series with only aound an inch and a half of tube between them, the outlet of the first pump was for a small diameter pipe (8mm) and the inlet for the second pump was a large bore pipe. this had been got around by putting a small pipe on the outlet of the first pump, sliding a large bore pipe over the top and squeezing the two together with a jubille clip. when i looked down to pipe to the smaller pipe inside there wasnt really an opening anymore, it sorted of looked like a clenched ******** in there.so the flow to the front pump must have been comprimised some what, hence why it was making so much noise struggling for fuel. Now of course i just fitted the fuel pump system from the ce and my car is fine. but to keep the ce running, i have just thrown a pump that was on mine in to the line and wired it up and the ce is working fine, infact it drives so nice it seems criminal to break it. I am sure many an arguement could be made as to whether that was really the issue or not. I am convinced tho.

next problem is that in trying to sort this out, i have really messed about with the mixture screw and i need to get that set right again, what should it be adjusted to?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom