300-24, spark plugs fouling with soot

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi

you need to use an exhaust gas analyser (CO Meter)

open the bonnet, you should see the little labels with spark plug info, RPM setting,etc, the co setting is there also, i believe its 0.50%.

you wont get it set properly without a CO meter

mazza

^^^^ whot he said. It's a very delicate adjustment you normally just have to "tweak" that allen key.

Last edited:
Hi

you need to use an exhaust gas analyser (CO Meter)

Excuse the slight threadjack....but is the above still a garage only item or is there a DIY version?
I know they indicate the mixture as it was burned - but what if they encounter unburned mixture that exited the cylinder during the gas exchange phase. Will the oxygen content throw the reading or is it only looking for CO?

Excuse the slight threadjack....but is the above still a garage only item or is there a DIY version?
I know they indicate the mixture as it was burned - but what if they encounter unburned mixture that exited the cylinder during the gas exchange phase. Will the oxygen content throw the reading or is it only looking for CO?

Hello mate

I use a Gunson's gas analyser and basically it looks for CO (and its DIY)

very accurate machine, AFR reading between lambda reading and CO meter had insignificant values.

a great way to set the ke jetronic

mazza

Last edited:
is 0.5 co what i am looking for? i have set it on a gas analyser at kwik fit earlier where my mate works and it is really gutless at higher revs. could i have ruined my plugs with all the soot?

is 0.5 co what i am looking for? i have set it on a gas analyser at kwik fit earlier where my mate works and it is really gutless at higher revs. could i have ruined my plugs with all the soot?

Hi

Its possible, check the gap or to hell with all that and buy new ones
its also possible that she may need a bit more fuel.

did you check label up front?

the 0.50% is the set up for emissions,now you can enrich a touch for best performance...just go easy on the 3mm key, small changes and go play till you hit the spot.

this is a table from Gunson (i think) very useful

mazza

thats great thanks, i did check the label and it had information about the plugs and some other stuff, but couldnt find anything about the co level. i am not 100% we set it correctly, the machine hadnt been used for a long time, it was brand new, just sat in its box since it was calibrated about 4 years ago lol. i will go to my local mot man tomorrow and adjust on a reliable machine, and put some new plugs in just incase. fingers crossed and thanks for all the help

hmm ,co set correctly, new plugs, still doesnt want to pull past 4000

hmm ,co set correctly, new plugs, still doesnt want to pull past 4000

hello mate

probably fuel delivery issue with fuel meter electrics (possible damage)
fuel pump relay can also cause for the engine to stop reving

check the vacuum hose line that goes from the fuel pressure regulator to plenum vacuum nipple.

mazza

Does the 300-24 have a no-load rev limiter? I know some later MBs have a 4K rev limiter if the car is stationary

That engine revs like fury and I'm sure you'll spent lots of time at high revs. Just make sure it doesn't go lean at high rpm otherwise you'll burn plugs and valves. Having a fuel pump system that can deliver enough fuel is obviously important

It might be worth dropping the sump pan and seeing if you can baffle the sump to stop oil surge

The consolation for all this searching for faults is that you'll end up knowing the injection system pretty well. Not many people do!

Nick Froome

over the last few days i have been making tiny adjustments to the mixture before every drive, i am very nearly there now, still not quite right but i would say 90% so i think the mixture is the issue now. woul;d it be best to get this set on a rolling road?

over the last few days i have been making tiny adjustments to the mixture before every drive, i am very nearly there now, still not quite right but i would say 90% so i think the mixture is the issue now. woul;d it be best to get this set on a rolling road?

Hi

That's excellent news

regarding rolling road, nope, dont do it, save your money
adjusting the KE Jetronic with the engine under load, may damage the fuel meter. just keep doing what you are doing now, be patient.

one thing i forgot to ask, is your KE Jet fitted with lambda??

if so, you must disconnect the lambda before setting the CO, to stop it from re adjusting the mixture during the CO setting.

i also wonder how much crap there is on your lambda (if you have one)

mazza

Hi

That's excellent news

regarding rolling road, nope, dont do it, save your money
adjusting the KE Jetronic with the engine under load, may damage the fuel meter. just keep doing what you are doing now, be patient.

one thing i forgot to ask, is your KE Jet fitted with lambda??

if so, you must disconnect the lambda before setting the CO, to stop it from re adjusting the mixture during the CO setting.

i also wonder how much crap there is on your lambda (if you have one)

mazza

Yes i do have a lambda sensor, and no i havnt been unplugging it...so should i unplug it just while adjust? or shall i just leave it unplugged all together? is it worth replacing the lambda?

Yes i do have a lambda sensor, and no i havnt been unplugging it...so should i unplug it just while adjust? or shall i just leave it unplugged all together? is it worth replacing the lambda?

unplug for adjusting is the rule, adjust and connect lambda back on

remove the lambda and check the condition, replace if necessary.

lambda system works like this

lambda sends voltage to ECU, ECU reduces/increases voltage to the electrohydraulic actuator.

EHA- increases/decreases lower chamber pressures in the fuel distributor, increasing/decreasing fuel delivery.

just needs very fine tuning now...if you are at 90%

hope this helps
mazza

Plug chop?

Don't they clean up with brake cleaner?

some people use brake cleaner, some people use petrol

yes,you can clean the tip from all the dirty but difficult to clean the heated element and lambdas do not like very rich mixtures

mazza

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom