350CDI vs 320CDI

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gaiex

Car
'08 CLK320CDI sport
Hi guys,

Any one knows the differences between these two engines?

I know that the latest ones have some differences and not just the badge.

Is there any info out there of any upgrade on this engine or a more powerfull one to be lauched, since they have less power than the 30d and 3.0TDI?

Hi

IIRC the 350cdi is a tad more powerful and supposedly more economical under MBs blue efficiency measures (BMW speak is efficient dynamics, VW speak is bluemotion)

These 350cdi engines aren't as good as the 320cdi's

as

1. They aren't more economical, can be less so.
2. They aren't as refined (search on here, AlexR1 has a 350cdi coupe ans has problems with it clattering away)
3. Some of them are sluggish, particularly from standstill, although thats more gearbox/throttle mapping.

I cannot comment on the difference power wise as my 320CDi was in the C class and the 350CDi is in an E class. Although the E class is just as fast as the C class so the extra power makes up for the bigger heavier car.

As for refinement, the 350CDi in my W212 is the most refined diesel I've ever owned, so check the car your interested in as there seems to be conflicting experiences. My W212 is the Avantgarde model as opposed to the Sport model which might be relevant.

Hi

IIRC the 350cdi is a tad more powerful and supposedly more economical under MBs blue efficiency measures (BMW speak is efficient dynamics, VW speak is bluemotion)

These 350cdi engines aren't as good as the 320cdi's

as

1. They aren't more economical, can be less so.
2. They aren't as refined (search on here, AlexR1 has a 350cdi coupe ans has problems with it clattering away)
3. Some of them are sluggish, particularly from standstill, although thats more gearbox/throttle mapping.

I have seen some dynno charts and the E350cdi coupe have alot more power than the power announced, ~260hp :rock:

The 350cdi is euro V instead of 320cdi euro IV.

I read some time ago that there was some differences in the admission (EGR and maybe turbo) and injection, but there where no details!

What about 7g-tronic, are still the same?

IIRC the box is the same, might have different mapping not sure though. Certainly the throttle mapping is different.

I think that is the magic word - mapping. The 350 is the same engine as the 320 - just mapped differently with a few tweaks etc.

I think that is the magic word - mapping. The 350 is the same engine as the 320 - just mapped differently with a few tweaks etc.

Isn't this a bit model dependent? Like for the 221, the 320CDI and the 350CDI are combined in EPC, the same engine, same parts, even the ECU (not all are U42 coded, bluetec SCR, but this is not dependent on the 320/350 badge).

Seems to be the same for the 204.022 model but then for the 204.089 they have both 320CDI and 350CDI badged models but also a 204.092 with the 350CDI (4-Matic) badge only. I did not try to check the difference, but the engine is 642.832 type while the other one is called 642.961, obviously at least some differences.

From C-class to S-class the same engine certainly has different mapping and different performance figures but I assume they are pretty much the same by hardware if aged equally.

The coming variant probably has some real changes, like the one for the E350CDI that gives 252 PS and 580 Nm (on an R 265 PS and 620 Nm).

Obviously the badge as such does not tell a lot.

There is a new one coming?

I've also heard about it in the forums, but didn't see any news yet in the press.

PS: since the 350 engines have allready 260hp couldn't they be the same!?

Reviving an old thread here, but was just wondering what is the actual difference between 320CDI V6 & 350CDI V6 for the power increase?

From physical appearance both engines look the same... Interesting if a 320 can be made a 350 :)

A remap from a good company can give you 260/265 bhp from your 320 cdi.

A remap from a good company can give you 260/265 bhp from your 320 cdi.

Already aware of this, but what are the exact components which set the two engines apart - just out of interest.

Brabus D6 xtra plug in will put out 272ishbhp on 320CDI as seen in CLS 320CDI vs CLS 350CDI Grand Edition same engine just with the plug in box.

Some of the latest 350 engines are down on torque to lower emissions and raise MPG.

Last edited:
Brabus D6 xtra plug in will put out 272ishbhp on 320CDI as seen in CLS 320CDI vs CLS 350CDI Grand Edition same engine just with the plug in box.

Some of the latest 350 engines are down on torque to lower emissions and raise MPG.

So the components, turbo's etc are exactly the same & its just the software difference? Same as seen on 220cdi vs 250cdi?

Ah I think I've got it now, the 350CDI is twin turbo - whilst the 320CDI is single turbo.

Dan, please can you suggest a supplier for this Brabus D6 plug in ? I checked online, but cant see anything obvious, there were a couple listed on ebay for 5 and 4 cylinder models, but I would be very interested to look further at this. ive also heard of a similar Kleeman box too..

thanks

Dan, please can you suggest a supplier for this Brabus D6 plug in ? I checked online, but cant see anything obvious, there were a couple listed on ebay for 5 and 4 cylinder models, but I would be very interested to look further at this. ive also heard of a similar Kleeman box too..

thanks

I think you can get these from MB dealers or brabus directly, otherwise they are really hard to get hold of - with an odd one which ends up on ebay...

thanks

MB main dealer sell them, they can be had cheap 2nd hand on ebay, also check the classified ads on here or post in the wanted section.

So the components, turbo's etc are exactly the same & its just the software difference? Same as seen on 220cdi vs 250cdi?

depends which generation engine/model you are talking about the badges can be misleading. if you are on about e.g 2014 C220cdi coupe vs 2014 C250cdi coupe they are the same engine but one single turbo and the other twin turbo software will vary between engines & models. Might be more helpful if you could be specific about the particular engine/model your after.

Last edited:
dan-mb said:
depends which generation engine/model you are talking about the badges can be misleading. if you are on about e.g 2014 C220cdi coupe vs 2014 C250cdi coupe they are the same engine but one single turbo and the other twin turbo software will vary between engines & models. Might be more helpful if you could be specific about the particular engine/model your after.
I'm interested in the equivalent of my 320cdi v6 against a 350cdi v6. The CLK didn't get the 350, but im pretty sure the comparison can be done on a CLS 320cdi vs CLS 350cdi, not sure of the year, but a wild guess would be 2006-2008.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom