360 camera image quality problems

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CYPER

Car
W212 E300 Hybrid
So, I have a 360 camera in my 2014 E300 and I think something is wrong with it. I have looked at a few videos on Youtube and all of them show a great image quality even at night. Mine is half good during the day and absolutely unusable during the night. It is just too dark and the software stitching into 360 view is just not done properly.

Can you please have a look at the video + pictures and tell me if that looks OK to you?

VIDEO

Here the camera was a bit unclean, but still you can see how awful the quality is:

xVcHa60.jpg

I cleaned all cameras here, so that's the best image possible:

8WEAnUJ.jpg

wDeJsJU.jpg

I feel that this service bulletin is relevant to my problem, even though it is solely mentioned on mbworld.org:LI54.65-P-059114_Ver_5.pdf

Attachments

• LI54.65-P-059114_Ver_5.pdf
    33.2 KB · Views: 31
I don't have the 360 camera but my reversing image has never been great in the dark; however, it is usable and a lot better than yours appears to be. In daylight, mine is absolutely fine.

Maybe compare your 360 with somebody else's?

Ernie

Assuming yours is early 2014, as there is no reason MB dealer would update the firmware in your 360 camera controller. So as it's under warranty, i'd take a visit to the dealer with that service bulletin and ask them to update the software in the camera controller.

Get your Sat Nav maps (and COMAND firmware) done also within the 3 year updates if you have COMAND (which I suspect you have as you have360 camera)

Cheers

Richard

Assuming yours is early 2014, as there is no reason MB dealer would update the firmware in your 360 camera controller. So as it's under warranty, i'd take a visit to the dealer with that service bulletin and ask them to update the software in the camera controller.

Get your Sat Nav maps (and COMAND firmware) done also within the 3 year updates if you have COMAND (which I suspect you have as you have360 camera)

Cheers

Richard

Hi, thanks for your input. So you reckon I am being too demanding and the quality is indeed bad?

I already got an appointment on 2nd March and have informed the booking line that I need the maps and camera software updated and they put a note on the booking. Hopefully the dealership doesn't disappoint as I specifically booked there just because every other London dealership has appalling reviews in Google maps.

I just wish this can be done sooner, but apart from Brentford (which has 2.3/5 score) the waiting time is at least till March, which is just ridiculous.
This is my first Mercedes car and somehow I was expecting stellar customer service experience.

I don't have the 360 camera but my reversing image has never been great in the dark; however, it is usable and a lot better than yours appears to be. In daylight, mine is absolutely fine.

Maybe compare your 360 with somebody else's?

Ernie

Well the thread is open for anyone to share their experience with the 360 camera. I am quite disappointed so far.

Last edited:
I have the 360 camera on my 2016 S205 and it's very clear. Picture was not so good last week as 600 miles on well salted roads had caused salt to build up on the camera lenses. A quick rub over and all back to normal. On the S205 the rear camera has a cover that keeps the crud off so it's feed was still very clear.
I assume you have gone into the settings and adjusted the image,mine needed a tweet from the factory setting when I got the car. Check the settings, rub clean each lens and then if no better seek help from the dealer.

I have the 360 camera on my 2016 S205 and it's very clear. Picture was not so good last week as 600 miles on well salted roads had caused salt to build up on the camera lenses. A quick rub over and all back to normal. On the S205 the rear camera has a cover that keeps the crud off so it's feed was still very clear.
I assume you have gone into the settings and adjusted the image,mine needed a tweet from the factory setting when I got the car. Check the settings, rub clean each lens and then if no better seek help from the dealer.

I've cleaned all the lenses, it's not that.
Where do you find your settings?
I only have brightness control and that's it.

Hi Cypher,

There are settings in Comand in the vehicle settings which is accessed via the button with a car outline on it. You are correct that the on screen display only allows brightness, I believe that I made my initial changes via the vehicle settings button. Instructions on the 360 system can be found on the Mercedes online guide for your car or in the paper handbook.
Hope you get this sorted.
Farmerboy

Hi Cypher

Just had a play in the car to work out settings. I have screen at +5 such is full brightness. The 360 camera cannot be accessed in vehicle settings unless ignition is on. Only options are to select the different views, I thought that contrast could be adjusted but my memory was wrong.
Sorry to give you false hope it looks like you need the dealer to do the software upgrade.
Regards. farmrboy

Here is mine at night in a car park

attachment.php

Attachments

• i-qPQzhK2-XL.jpg
    i-qPQzhK2-XL.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 46
During the day

attachment.php

Attachments

• i-cgzBCKH-X2.jpg
    i-cgzBCKH-X2.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 45
attachment.php

Attachments

• i-F8MDLzZ-X2.jpg
    i-F8MDLzZ-X2.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 45
attachment.php

Attachments

• i-JBwvgJV-X2.jpg
    i-JBwvgJV-X2.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 40
Thanks for the images. The difference is easily visible. Your night time image is amazingly good. Hopefully the dealership fixes mine.

Bear in mind my night shot was in a KFC car park so is not totally dark due to car park lighting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom