• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

4 pot v V6 v V8

jupiter2step

Car
S211 E220 CDI Avantagarde
Apart from the glaringly obvious - top speed and acceleration - are there any advantages or disadvantages to having a V6 or V8 engine over a regular four pot?

Interesting question this, especially if you take fuel economy out of the equation. The V6 and V8 are a lot smoother engines to drive with more torque and the V8 has a great soundtrack but I suppose it depends which Merc you are looking at?

Don't need a turbo for decent power outputs.

Disadvantages

1. Effeciency. V6 and V8's won't be as efficient, might not be a cost worry, but a time worry as they need to be filled more often, particularly with urban use
2. Maintainence costs, bigger engines need more oil, more spark plugs/injectors etc
3. Weight. A large engine weighs more, more mass upfront means a more nose lead handling balance.
4. Purchase price. Bigger engined varients cost more to buy.
5. Insurance and VED costs. Large engines will put these up
6. CO2 and BIK

5/6 of these are money related but the handling one is important, particularly if you like driving a more nimble car may be enjoyable if you drive on minor routes.

I'd take the American view;

If more is good (4 pot) then a little more is better (V6) and too much is just about right (V8).

Some of the 'benefits' are simply due to having more power & torque ... you'd get them with a bigger capacity 4-cyl.

The main one for me with the V6 in the Vito is simply refinement i.e. smoother/quieter. We do a long run to the south of Germany and back at least once a year with the family and dogs on board and it's very relaxed cruising on the autoroute/autobahn.

I think Dino presented a paper to his Father about this very topic. The answer was.......

Thanks to everyone for your replies. Don't think I will ever stretch to a V8 for the foreseeable future but next purchase might be E280 or E320 so will trade the 4 pot for my first V6. Not sure whether the sound difference will be apparent in the diesel or not though?

Have a little drive of a V8 before you sign any cheques ;)

Thanks to everyone for your replies. Don't think I will ever stretch to a V8 for the foreseeable future but next purchase might be E280 or E320 so will trade the 4 pot for my first V6. Not sure whether the sound difference will be apparent in the diesel or not though?

I went from an E220cdi to a E320cdi V6.

Big difference in sound, or the lack of it.

Actually, thats unfair, the 220 is quiet, but at low and high rpms its more vocal. The V6 is very quiet and makes a far more cultured roar and does sound quite good as car engines go.

Don't forget the straight six. The best balanced engine of them all, both primary and secondary harmonics.

It's said a Man has similar tastes in Women as he does in his Cars! :eek:

Lets hope not in this case! ;)

Me, I'll just take whatever I can get...

Which ain't a lot really...

413637_10151105919514359_199320606_o.jpg

LOL!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom