• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

4 pot v V6 v V8

this is a huge topic to discuss
but putting aside logic and sense

from recent experience there is no better vehicle to depart from a bluewater multi storey car park than a mercedes v8 late at night
the noise on full throttle is breathtaking

yep childish and shallow but great fun:D:dk::D

Mika, you need to get a diesel v6CDI Mercedes.

I have one for sale. £9500 delivered. They sound like nothing else on this planet!!!

John,

Don't get me started on your car...

Its long, wide and black....:rolleyes:;)

And thrives on chips..........

this is a huge topic to discuss
but putting aside logic and sense

from recent experience there is no better vehicle to depart from a bluewater multi storey car park than a mercedes v8 late at night
the noise on full throttle is breathtaking

yep childish and shallow but great fun:D:dk::D

I absolutely disagree.

Defo not childish :D

Actually i've had a 320CDI and now have a V8 and although not the same noise the V6 CDI isn't bad! :D

I really can't imagine an eventuality that would call for a diesel engine.

NewFireengine700.jpg

I went from an E220cdi to a E320cdi V6.

Big difference in sound, or the lack of it.

Actually, thats unfair, the 220 is quiet, but at low and high rpms its more vocal. The V6 is very quiet and makes a far more cultured roar and does sound quite good as car engines go.

Wasn't going to change until next year, but this post led me to take a sneaky look on Autotrader tonight, just to see what was going! Am definitely leaning towards a 320 CDI.

As for the OP..

I found that V6 cars are quieter, more refined, and smoother through the gears.

My current 4-pot in comparison is a bit rough and 'boomy', and does not accelerate as well.

However... the 4-pot is far cheaper and easier to maintain. With the V6 cars, everything was time consuming and expensive - having a small 4-pot standing upright in the middle of a large engine bay means that there's easy access to everything and lots of room to work. Easier for DIY and cheaper when you need something above regular servicing from a garage. Try costing a spark plug change on a 4-cyl and on a V8...

But apart from that, and from the obvious fuel consumption - my V6s were better to drive, no question.

4 pot - V6 - V8 - v12
Blackpool - Maldives - Seychelles - Monaco

IF!!! you can afford it an old straight 6 or V8 in terms of engine refinement. This has changed a bit in recent years with the introduction of Lanchester balancer shafts Balance shaft - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia to dampen the "out of balance" vibrations inherent in some designs =straight 4 or V6. The down side is more rapidly rotating "thingies" and associated drive trains to go wrong! If I had to chose one- a big straight 6 [ a la TVR AJP-6 ] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TVR_Speed_Six_engine would get my vote.

Last edited:
The question is flawed, as the number of pots is a direct consequence of how many horsetorques you want. Piston engines (for automobile use) have a practical limit on pot size, about 300-600cc, that is why you seldom see a six below 2 litres or a four pot larger than 2,3. Likewise sixes seldom go over 3,5 litres, above that it's 8 or more.

60-120 hp per litre is what can be achieved with todays demands on emissions etc so it boils down to: do you want 250hp? You probably need a six. Want 400? V8.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom