5-day exemption from the offence of not-displaying a valid vehicle licence (tax disc)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

robert.saunders

MB Enthusiast
Car
W210 E300TD
Today, received a letter from DVLA which states a change in the law which came into effect 1 September 2008, and I quote verbatim:

"From this date, there will be an exemption from the offence in Section 33 of the Vehicle Excise and Registration Act 1994 (VERA) of not displaying a valid tax disc. This will apply for the first five working days at the beginning of the month in which the tax disc commences.

It will be legal for motorists to drive or keep their vehicle on a public road without a current tax disc, for the first five working days of any month. This exemption from displaying a tax disc applies only when an application for a new disc has been made before the previous one has expired.

Motorists are advised to display the expired tax disc, however, they will be committing an offence if they continue to use or keep the vehicle on a public road without a current valid tax disc after the first five [working] days of the month.

Enforcement officers responsible for enforcing offences relating to the non-display of valid tax discs should be made aware of this change."

Last edited:
Seems a bit odd. I wonder why :confused:

Obviously falling behind with their 'On-Line Renewal'...... No surprise there.....

Presumably because people are applying online just before the expiry of their old licence and they are in the post.
Technically they are commiting an offence by failure to display though.

maybe they have lost all the car and driver details

Presumably because people are applying online just before the expiry of their old licence and they are in the post.
Technically they are commiting an offence by failure to display though.

well it says it will be legal for 5 days after applying so no offence in that case.
the offence only starts after 5days

To encourage use of the online tax system.

Many people wait until the end of the month to purchase a tax disc (when most people get paid). If it happens to fall over a weekend etc, there's a good chance the disc might not arrive in time.

Obviously people can use a post office, but I think this new grace period is a good idea as it takes care of this issue where someone has applied and paid for a disc in time, but is still waiting for it to arrive from the DVLA.

Will

Obviously falling behind with their 'On-Line Renewal'...... No surprise there.....

we've been using the online service for our cars since it started, the longest we've had to wait for a tax disk is 4 days.

That's hardly "falling behind" is it?

"From this date, there will be an exemption from the offence in Section 33 of the Vehicle Excise and Registration Act 1994 (VERA) of not displaying a valid tax disc. This will apply for the first five working days at the beginning of the month in which the tax disc commences.

It will be legal for motorists to drive or keep their vehicle on a public road without a current tax disc, for the first five working days of any month. .

Motorists are advised to display the expired tax disc, however, they will be committing an offence if they continue to use or keep the vehicle on a public road without a current valid tax disc after the first five [working] days of the month.
."

Pretty clear to me.
it will be legal for 5 days

well it says it will be legal for 5 days after applying so no offence in that case.
the offence only starts after 5days

What I meant was that technically the offence is failure to display a valid disk. It appears they are relaxing this a little for people that have genuinely applied.
It seems very reasonable to me.

What I meant was that technically the offence is failure to display a valid disk. It appears they are relaxing this a little for people that have genuinely applied.

oh ok sorry misunderstood

It's a good idea.

A couple of years ago I bought my tax disc online and it arrived in good time but it wasn't actually on the windscreen until the 2nd of the month due to my own stupidity! Even though I'd paid for it I would still have been done for "failure to display", lucky I was reminded by Plodd at the GTG on the night of the 1st (he did threaten to write me up for it but that might have put his forum account in jeopardy! ;) ).

With the big brother DVLA computer watching your every move the "failure to display" offence is largely redundant as if you've not paid your RFL then you'll be fined.

This is going back some, but as far as I can remember you always had a 14 day grace period from when the old Tax Disc expired anyway. Does anyone else remember that?

And as far as 'That's hardly "falling behind" is it?' Lets wait and see shall we.....

Ciao.

robert

can i ask why you received the letter - is it part of a mass mail out ?

I have not seen anything.

In regards to the 14 day grace myth, I rang DVLA about this when I bought a car and they said yes it is ok??? I AM CONFUZZLED!!!! :(

there is no official grace period, however I know myself from being careless in the past that if you relicense within a short time they may write to you, you can write back and tell them it was a genuine mistake or were on holiday and they have the ability to waive the fine. I've done it, and a friend of mine has also.

DVLA are quite a reasonable bunch, a copper having a bad day may write you up for it though.

The 5 day grace on fail to display is sensible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom