• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

55K brake pad fitment

Mrhanky

MB Enthusiast
Car
Superb 3.6 4x4 & W221 S500
Guys I recently cleaned and refitted my pads for the first time on my E55K. I noticed that the pads are a really tight fit mainly due to the anti squeal backing that extends to the pads sides.

Is this normal as normally when I have fitted pads they have a bit of room to move?

The pads should fit loosely in the caliper and not be tight.
Cole at MBS had to file some paint off my Brembo pads so they would fit nicely.
Too tight and they wont back off when you release the brake and they'll overheat.

Thanks, thought that was the case and it just didn't feel right. Will refit again when I get a chance. Noticed the slightest little squeal on very light braking, think its the pads getting stuck little bit.

EBC pads were the same, a little too tight, used a drill grinder to grind back the backing pad a little which done the trick. calipers tend to corrode a little so the pad doesnt fit in properly, then you get squeeling and warped disks.

Make sure you wind the piston all the way back in. - I've made that mistake.

I've had that problem with EBC pads too; they went in without the rubber backing, so after a few months I took them back out and installed it. - Mischief managed.

I removed all the pads and checked fitment again. Rears are okay but fronts really tight I had to grid off some metal to get a good fit.

Good news is all squeal under breaking has gone. Bad news is the slight squeal when turning right is still present.

I'm not sure what it can be, maybe a ball joint but that's normally a squeak rather than squeal?

When looking at the pads you can see the wear indicator is visible. I wondering if this could be the culprit rubbing in certain circumstances.

The inner pad has a lot of material left but the outer not so. So I'm thinking about replacing the pads now.

I would for MB but I'm not a fan of the level of dust produced by them. Are Brembo from ECP any good? Or perhaps a ceramic pad like red stuff but I seem to recall them eating discs for fun?

The Brembo pads work well but I don't think there is any less dust than OEM. I also found the first couple of hundred miles they squealed at low speed braking. Its stopped now though.
As mentioned, mine were a tight fit and the paint had to be filed off the edges of the pad to enable good fitment.
Uneven pad wear points to the pistons not pushing out evenly. Are yours both free to push in easily with the pads removed?

Thanks, yes pistons move freely from what I can tell.

Ordered Brembo pads and pagid sensors as ECP had 30% off this weekend. I'm being picky about this noise I know but it's got to be 100% for me.

I'm going to get new pad retaining clips and pins as well.

Fitted and pads this morning. Due to corrosion I had to remove a bit of the metal to get a good fit. I'm thinking going forward it's easy to make the pads fit than deal with a corrosion on the look caliper. Fancy using steal on an aluminium caliper!

Good news, noise has gone so far. Looking at the old pad they seemed to have lots of small cracks in them. It's a shame as they had a fair bit of material remaining.

This is really good info. Has anyone tried Pagid pads on their E55

Update on the caliper fitting kits which replace the pad retaining clips and pins.

Most manufacturers of AE options list only the rear kits. I went for TRW in the end and cost £13 and the fit is perfect.

No one I could find stocks the front kits so it's a dealer only option.

Where did you buy the pads from Mrhanky??

Thank you mate will have a quick look :thumb:

try EBC RED Pads if you want less dust, ECP can get these for you too.

I fitted Akebono euro ceramic pads pads on my E55K, got them through Amazon from the US. They're great and produce far less dust than original pads. The dust is also a white(ish) colour so doesn't show as much too. When I researched it they were highly rated on MBWorld forum in the US.

Last edited:
I fitted Akebono euro ceramic pads pads on my E55K, got them through Amazon from the US. They're great and produce far less dust than original pads. The dust is also a white(ish) colour so doesn't show as much too. When I researched it they were highly rated on MBWorld forum in the US.

Simon have you got the part number for those pads please?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom